Religion

-PHXN- New001

Are you an Atheist?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an Atheist?

• I'm an Atheist.
    • No, I believe in God.

Hey guys just like to say i agree with chaos92... But i'd also like to add that religion gives a meaning to life for those who need/want it... It gives them a chance to look forward to a future that they want to believe in... To prove my fairly abstract point above, I'd like to leave you guys with the statistic that 13% of atheists "convert/Revert" to another religion... by the way i'm atheist.

Would you agree that you support a theory akin to the slave mentality proposed by Nietzsche, danester? That being that when faced with chasm of nothingness at their death, a christian will step into the slave mentality that binds the masses. But those who are of sound mind embrace and jump into that abyss. Is this, then, a theory that you support? Is this why you chose Christianity Chaos?

I'm Christian, but my relationship with the religion is a bit complicated. I believe in God, but I'm sure he's not as scary as people say he is. There are way too many contradictions and things kept hush hush about Christianity for me to really want to remain a part of it, seeing how books that should have been a part of the Bible, such as the Gospel of Judas and the Gospel of Mary, were edited out for some reason or another, and I definitely believe that all information should be free and uncensored. I also find it very disheartening that we're supposed to believe everything the Bible says, even though there are contradictions everywhere and if you ask questions, you end up getting told that you just don't believe enough. That's happened to me before, when I was around twelve. After that, I adopted this subjective view of things like this and started to see all the things wrong with it, instead of what was right.

And honestly, I see him more as an omnipresent force instead of a personified being sitting up there in the clouds. When I think of God, I think of him as a being that appears to everyone in different ways. For me, he appears when I listen to music, or when I'm writing. He appears to me when I look up at the night sky, and see the infinity of space. I guess what I'm really saying is that he's different things to different people.

But you won't see me go to church or actually talk to other Christians any time soon. People are far too quick to use the name of religion for their own gains, or they try to force their beliefs on you without any provocation at all. For example, when I was living with my aunt in the summer a few years back, it was during vacation Bible school season and she made me go to the one at the church she went to. We would show up a few hours early to this thing, because she was a part of it, and leave later than a lot of people. The whole week felt like one brainwashing after another, with every day having a different theme. And I, being what I am, asked questions that got shot down just as fast as I could create them. It came to the point where one of the girls in my group wasn't allowed to be in the same room as I was because I'd say something and she'd start on a tirade about how I was a whore and I was going to burn in Hell just because I asked a question about a small contradiction.

Another thing that really pisses me off is how people misuse major Christian holidays as an excuse to drink. Yeah, there's nothing like celebrating Jesus' birth/zombie uprising like getting drunk and doing stupid things. But the one thing that pisses me off the most about all of this, even more than getting beliefs forced on you or getting the evil eye for asking questions, is how atheists try so hard to disprove God that it becomes a religion itself. I'm not trying to bash atheists at all. Unlike a lot of Christians, I respect the opinions of others, but it just seems to silly to try to tell people that something they believe in is wrong and doesn't exist. God might now have a physical presence anywhere but it's very clear that the very idea of having an omnipresent force does indeed have a great effect in the lives of a great many people, so in a way, he does exist, even if just for that.

...This was meant to be just a few sentences. Looks like I got carried away a little.

In my opinion, me being Christian, it's OK to be Christian but don't try to force your religion on others. As far as thinking things demonic like Harry Potter I have a grandmother like that and she drives me nuts. One time I had a book review due and she went through my bag took the Harry Potter book and threw it on the porch and said I could grab it when I left. I almost didn't get it finished in time. My church doesn't think that way in fact many of them adult and teen-alike have read HP and Twilight. So anyways a little off-topic but that's my opinion.

Would you agree that you support a theory akin to the slave mentality proposed by Nietzsche, danester? That being that when faced with chasm of nothingness at their death, a christian will step into the slave mentality that binds the masses. But those who are of sound mind embrace and jump into that abyss. Is this, then, a theory that you support? Is this why you chose Christianity Chaos?

So what you are saying that unless you have a view that there is nothing and if you do not you are not mentally sound? That is hilarious but i guess i would expect nothing more from this topic so i guess I will give you my best answer and hopefully not feed your need to try and take low blow that you know nothing about. I have always considered people ignorant of a topic when they have no idea of anything that its truly about. All anyone of an atheistic view can bring up is slavery? Let me ask you this what is one of the most influential books out there? Give me something better and sound when you present your argument because I need a little more then Nietzsche and his slave mentality. What about real science? Oh, wait science can not show any evidence either for or against. What makes you support your ideals of just jumping into the abyss? In the end what do i lose for having a belief in something? Nothing. I don't believe its wrong to believe in any religion or not to for that matter and i definitely do not think you are not sound of mind for believing the way YOU do. I think its more about who you are then what you practice but i do not like it when somebody takes random shots at what I am. So you want to know why I choose to believe? The answer is simple, because I want there to be something, because what is the point in believing that all you will be is fertilizer for the ground. If you want theology and philosophy I am happy to oblige if you want me to do so.

Religion does not make you a good person, only the person can do that.

maybe this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_again_(Christianity)

@topic

No offense but I don't understand how u can worship a sexist, homophobic, pro-slavery, sadistic, murderer.

Well first of all, how would this not be offensive to a christian? Second of all why not back up your reasoning for each thing you just listed and give sound examples for each and then maybe you have a debate. Until then you are just posting something to offend others.

@topic

No offense but I don't understand how u can worship a sexist, homophobic, pro-slavery, sadistic, murderer.

Everyone does bad things, even God :v

Refer to this:

And honestly, I see him more as an omnipresent force instead of a personified being sitting up there in the clouds.

And I would also like to see proof to back your statement up.

sexsist

"I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over a man."

murderer

"Any of the people of Israel, or of the aliens who reside in Israel, who give any of their offspring to Molech shall be put to death; the people of the land shall stone them to death. I myself will set my face against them, and will cut them off from the people, because they have given of their offspring to Molech, defiling my sanctuary and profaning my holy name."

homophobic

"The man who lies with his father’s wife has uncovered his father’s nakedness; both of them shall be put to death; their blood is upon them."

pro-slavery

"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do. If she does not please her master, who designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed; he shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has dealt unfairly with her."

Those are just some parts written in the Bible.

sexsist

murderer

"Any of the people of Israel, or of the aliens who reside in Israel, who give any of their offspring to Molech shall be put to death; the people of the land shall stone them to death. I myself will set my face against them, and will cut them off from the people, because they have given of their offspring to Molech, defiling my sanctuary and profaning my holy name."

homophobic

"The man who lies with his father’s wife has uncovered his father’s nakedness; both of them shall be put to death; their blood is upon them."

pro-slavery

"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do. If she does not please her master, who designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed; he shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has dealt unfairly with her."

Those are just some parts written in the Bible.

It is true these are all straight from the Bible and i am glad you presented something. As far as your murder goes I am pretty sure Molech was a god that is associated with child sacrifice, now that is murder. As far as your scripture for the homophobic thing, I am pretty sure i interpreted that as it being with the mother, not the father. Slavery, yep there is slavery in the bible, there was slavery almost everywhere back then. Yes sexism is in there but i think its all about interpretation and adapting with the world as we move forward because somethings change and need to be changed with the world. Other things I have seen nobody have complaints with in the bible. You do have a good debate here however of interpretation of scripture but as far as the religion as a whole it doesnt stand alone. The only thing is the bible was written by people so who knows.

sexsist

Where exactly was this written? Book chapter and verse please. I'm asking because there was an apostle whose personal opinion was that women are pretty much put on earth to be servants and birthing machines and thus wrote that into the Bible. Another reason why I mostly just pass the Bible off as a collective work of fiction is because personal opinion was strewn all over it.

murderer

Sacrificing children is murder. Eye for an eye, murder for a murder.

homophobic

That's talking about incest, not homosexuality. What it's saying is that by sleeping with your mom, you've been somewhere that as a product of your father and his wife [your mother], you aren't supposed to be and therefore it would be like sleeping with your father.

pro-slavery

This relies very heavily on the culture of the time it was written. In that age, literally everyone had slaves, even other slaves. It was not uncommon to sell your children into slavery if you were of a lower, but still free, class.

I don't mind Christians that keep to themselves about their religion. aka just don't like those protesters lol. I believe in their belief they are not doing what is right "Do not judge them, they will be judged on judgment day" I got it a little off but pretty much. I only don't have a religion because if there is a heaven and what not I shouldn't have to win my way into it by having a faith and doing all these things in life. Id rather be who I am and not be tied down to a religion.

Whatever happens after death will happen regardless what I do in life. Unless there's punishment for bad people but I'm not bad lol.

If we knew what is after death their would either be a lot more people killing themselves or everyone holding onto their life over anybody else. aka the world might become an ever worse place.

Also the bible was re-written by man so anywhere in there it could have been edited to force that opinion on us. As bad as that is it is very possible. I also dislike all this new bible stuff, How did the book of god change?

• 2 weeks later...

Just interested in what peoples views are. I personally see relegion as something people kindof use as a crutch or something to get out of bed everyday. Some people need something to look up to or look foward to, something to beleive in, and alot of these people turn to religion. I also see tht we use it in alot of our traditional customs. though we could very well without it, not like we would collapse or anything. I really have no interest in relegion myself.

Religion is a bit like philosophy, except the latter tries to prove it as much as possible and make it interesting and the other one does the contrary. I hate the fact that most countries shove the kids their doctrine while they're young and make them bound to several rituals, it should be more optional; like in the sense you have to be 18 or older to drink, it should be the same way to pick a religion (if you want any), at least by that time you could make an informed decision and not be blind-fed some occult fear of the after-life that somehow began with talking trees, snakes, 72 virgins or an overweight bald man that knows the number 3.

I was one of those that was force fed it from birth. As I got older my curiosity grew and I questioned the existence of a higher being the customs that seemed dated and impractical in today's society and it led me to the conclusion that all religion is fundamentally flawed and not based in reality. I respect those who have faith and it's not my business what other people choose to believe in, just leave me be is all I ask in return. But I do entertain this thought at times when religious bigots become all holier-than-thou-could-ever be when they find out I'm an atheist.

"People call schizophrenics deluded and seriously disturbed because they see and hear things that aren't there to everyone else. But who's really deluded when you fight for or believe so strongly in something you can't see, hear, touch, smell or taste? They choose to believe in a established delusion that they can't experience, at least the shizos see and hear even if it's fake. Oh the irony, it's almost poetic."