Religion

-PHXN- New001

Are you an Atheist?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an Atheist?

• I'm an Atheist.
    • No, I believe in God.

Usually I don't have any problems with it, but the fanatics ruin it for everyone. It's quite possible to be faithful without being totally insane about it. Religion drives people to either do good in the world, or it drives them to do crazy shit like those jihadists that think that blowing up people will get them 72 virgins. Another example of nutjobs ruining it for every one is those Christians that honestly, truly, believe that this Friday will start the end of the world.

Most of the religious texts, including the Bible, are books of faith, not books of data. It's not supposed to be taken literally, but these people are taking it literally and cause all this hysteria and panic just because they take things so literally.

to me I have always found people to use religion as the ultimate scapegoat, an easy answer for when there were none.

And to be honest I have always found religous people (christians anyway) to be rather sycophantic. They only really seek to help others so that they go to heaven. Few people help for the sake of helping.

I mean how many religous people are there in the world? Millions? Billions? Surely with that many people believing in a higher power things like poverty, war etc should be non-existant?

P.S my hair dresser became a born again christian:( what a pain.

One month she was talking about her life of parties and speed dating, the next she was telling me about her baptism and why people like me are going to hell.

still, at least I get to tease her:)

(...)

However on the other hand aethism can be just as ignorant, to say your an aethiest is to say even if a religious group presented you with irrefutable evidence you would still disbelieve them, and thats simply hypocritical. At the moment i can honestly say that i lean far more toward science but im still watching this one to see which will finally be right, i suppose odds are ill only find out when im dead so its kind of moot anyway but those are my views.

I'm a Muslim and i think that my religion is not based on faith alone but also an evidence the Qur'an and u can watch this video that tell u the miracles of Qur'an :

also if u want to read the Qur'an u can download it from here :

http://www.islamway.com/SF/quran/download.php?lang=en

almost everything in Islam is based on this book

I'm an atheiest by nature. I've seen things that people shouldn't see and wonder if there is a divine being, cause if there is I like to kick his/her f**king ass.

As too you youtube videos dark spy, every single clip of video where the "scientists" are giving their statements has been doctored to remove context and make it seem that its all they are talking about. Not to mention the videos themselves look like their from the 60/70s. There is no miracles, just simple astronomical observations. It those were proof of the divine then the whole world should convert to Zoroatism, as their astronomy was the basis for many civilisations, including the Islam kingdoms of old. So in a sense, your "miracles" are based on Zoroatist astronomical predictions.

Before you say, I have read the Qu'ran, as I have read the Bible and I believe they are good fiction books. Otherwise they imo, are a crock of shit spawned from ignorance. Show me proper evidence and I'll become a believer, but until then I'll just follow my own path, and damn the consequences.

Before you say, I have read the Qu'ran, as I have read the Bible and I believe they are good fiction books. Otherwise they imo, are a crock of shit spawned from ignorance. Show me proper evidence and I'll become a believer, but until then I'll just follow my own path, and damn the consequences.

Aye, and if you liked those books, i could recommend some more - Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid.

There's some really interesting stuff in there.

Not to mention the videos themselves look like their from the 60/70s.

ur right this video is very old

sorry. :baffle:

There is no miracles, just simple astronomical observations. It those were proof of the divine then the whole world should convert to Zoroatism, as their astronomy was the basis for many civilisations, including the Islam kingdoms of old.

the quran hasnt changed for 1400 years and before the quran come there wasnt any old Islamic kingdoms .

Arab didn't know even how to read or write let alone to know anything about astronomy.

also in the videos there are some Quranic verses that explained how the child grow in his mother womb.

there wasn't anyone at that time in the whole world who know about this.

if that not an evidence I dont know what it is.

ur right this video is very old

sorry. :baffle:

the quran hasnt changed for 1400 years and before the quran come there wasnt any old Islamic kingdoms .

Arab didn't know even how to read or write let alone to know anything about astronomy.

also in the videos there are some Quranic verses that explained how the child grow in his mother womb.

there wasn't anyone at that time in the whole world who know about this.

if that not an evidence I dont know what it is.

• 3 weeks later...

So what you are saying that unless you have a view that there is nothing and if you do not you are not mentally sound? That is hilarious but i guess i would expect nothing more from this topic so i guess I will give you my best answer and hopefully not feed your need to try and take low blow that you know nothing about.

Science does not need faith for it to work...that is the fundamental difference between faith and science.

Ah but it does. You assume that we exist. That there is such a thing that you can empirically test. Can you prove to me that you exist?

You say that we have to have faith that gravity exists but unfortunatly without these laws of physics the computer you typed that comment with wouldnt work...niether would the building you live in or any other man made object of complexity. Also please note that there is a HUGE difference between laws and theories. The Laws of Physics have been refined over centuries and stand as laws until something breaks them, which doesnt happen often. Theories, like the Atomic Theory, are exactly what the name suggests...theories. A theory hasnt been irrefutably proven, yet hasnt been completely disproved. The only thing in that paragraph that made sense is that our planet's net intelligence doesnt compare to the vastness of space...but thats the point of science, to expand that understanding. (btw a trillion doesnt exist...XD)

none of this is relevant if you don't exist

Unfortunatly in my opinion religion is just a way of chaining people down...

a fan of Nietzsche, I see

although some arent, Buddhism being an example. I have seen to many people suffer, too much pain been caused, for me to ever believe that there is or ever was an onmipresent being watching over us...complete and utter bulls**t in my opinion. Religion is bred from ignorance, or at least it originally was, just a convinent way to explain why the rain came, or why the crops died. I personally believe that deity based religions have NO place in the modern world, and that colletively they have probably been the root of most suffering in the world.

If we could take these conversations to my respective threads that would be great

pain - http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=17829

rationalizing your own existence - http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=9742

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone, but my opinions wont and cant change

Unfortunately, this is probably true. Even if I give you evidence that science is based upon faith and that pain is not contradictory but beneficiary to illustrating the existence of a god, you would not change your mind solely based upon reason. I cannot nor will I ever stop you from living the way you want to.

everyone's right

What do you mean by this?

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, religion is religion. Its stupid to think that everyone believes in the exact same thing. One Catholic could have a different view on Catholocism than another captain. It just simply depends on how "to the bible" you are.

Either way, my beliefs somewhat stem from a mixture of multiple beliefs, as I feel many religions are almost exactly the same.

I believe most organized religions are designed to rob you of freewill and infiltrate every aspect of your life, they generally encourage you to pass this same illness on to others, I believe that in this way they keep you from seeking any real truths

To be fair, most religions encourage you to make your own decisions and aren't very obtrusive when it comes to your personal life, The main groups that seem to actually fit this description to some extent are Islam and Jehovah's Witnesses, Islam since (from the eyes of an outsider anyway) seems to have a heavy impact on one's personal life and Jehovah's Witnesses since, not only do they attempt to govern the lives of their followers(This was based on an account of a former Witness) but they also try to shove thier religion on to you, sometimes going as far as invading your personal space and are less than happy if you try to preach your beliefs to them the same way, I can't tell you how many times I've been told that "the devil is at work in me" just because I argued with them over my belief, also they tend to be very annoying and refuse to listen if you ask them nicely to leave your house alone.

thank you, I'm not exactly great with words but in my experience most christians are more concerned with their "eternal souls" than doing actual good, my family is lutheran for the most part and they are very into the whole thing ( to put it nicely ). they listen to christian radio, cds, movies, novels, bible study, they even tutor others at their church, I admire there dedication but they can be a bit misguided sometimes. I believe that god isn't a being at all but a thread that ties us all together, an idea, a feeling, I don't know, something primal. I believe in doing good simply because I can, not because it makes me feel good, not for my "eternal soul" or anyone elses.Sorry for the rant and I hope I'm not being offensive.

I've met Christians that I thought were very awesome open-minded, nice people, and some that were completely arogant and rude. I was forced to go to a christian private school by my parents when I was in 5th grade and stayed there untill about late 8th grade. I hated it there! It made me hate Christians, but then I matured a bit and left that place, I met some people that changed my opinion. Religion of any sort does not define the person's character. Belive me, I would know.

I do not consider myself Christian. In fact, I am currently undergoing a spiritual journey, trying to find my own truth, and to better understand the universe and myself.

As for my belief on god, I do not know, and I acknowledge that fact. I am finding that faith can make one strong, but having doubt, always questioning and seeking higher truth, is what gets one an education.