Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Joker

I saw this trailer just 2 days ago and it made me think, cause I know a while back they were buying domain names to start work on an elder scrolls MMO, so I wonder if they are still planning on going with the online route, but either way I will be getting this game (the collectors edition if they end up doing one)

LONG LIVE THE ELDER SCROLLS!!!!!!!

:ah:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oblivion sucks. It probably didn't when it came out or even when I first played it and got lost in it. Problem is, I didn't get lost in it deep enough. No one can really fully describe how frustrating the game can get when all the gameplay consists of going from load screen to load screen. Even back when I liked it enough, I must've only got up to level 9 or so before I gave it up.

Came back a couple of times and now I'm level 11 and I also love how I can't for the life of me hold up against anyone in a fight when all I've ever done is try to max out the stats that would make my character a better fighter. Oh and no cure for vampirism is a real joy.

Thank god for Fallout 3. Good thing I played it on the PC, so barely any loading screens and for once I was able to fully lose myself in a game and actually care for its world. I'll take guns over swords and spells any day so I will probably just mooch off my friend for Skyrim.

COMBAT SYSTEM HAS BEEN REVEALED:

• Back pedal speed has been reduced to eliminate “hit & run” tactics. Stagger and balance have been added to create more dangerous attacks.
  • Simply holding up a shield is useless. You now need to time your blocks. You can also pull off a shield bash to stagger opponents. Can be attempted with two-handed weapons as well, but at a greater risk.
  • Flourish attacks appear for skillful kills, giving you a nice visual treat as you execute an enemy.
  • Some revealed combat Perks are critical strikes (swords), bleeding status (axes) and armor negation (maces).
  • Ranged combat makes arrows capable of higher damage, but also harder to find. Just one shot can potentially destroy an enemy, but you may only have one shot to make. Ranged warfare now seems to rely heavily on stealthy characters.
  • Stealth in Skyrim is a little deeper. Enemies don’t suddenly move from passive to aggressive. There is now an interim “Alert” phase, so you’ll have a chance to hide again and wait for them to forget about you.
  • Back attacks with daggers are highly dangerous, and a range of dagger Perks will lead to some truly badass assassins running around.
  • Magic in Skyrim will be inspired by BioShock’s Plasmids, funnily enough. Magic and melee will be kept distinctly separate. You can have a magic spell in one hand and a sword in the other, but you can’t just crack off fireballs while hack n’ slashing.
  • Although the Mysticism school of magic has been removed and consumed by the other schools, each spell in the game is more flexible. You don’t just shoot projectiles this time — you can hold down the fire button for a stream of magic, place them down as traps, or dual-wield them for extra damage.
  • Each spell has been individually crafted, so you won’t just get aesthetically different spells that act in exactly the same way. There is a possibility you’ll be able to meld spells together to create new effects, but Bethesda has not yet decided.
  • Fights between mages will be similar to melee combat, where timing and skill is more important than throwing out fireballs and seeing how wins.
  • Ultimately, the aim of the combat is to make each fight feel like a life-or-death situation rather than a brainless hack festival.

• 2 weeks later...

A few more facts have been revealed!

• Telekinesis is an assured spell
  • No more agility to build up so you can assume that the game involves less jumping
  • There is a perk that will lower the sound of your footsteps.
  • When you kill a dragon you’re able to absorb its soul which will give you a new dragon shout ability
  • Windhelm is the largest city in the game and is home to the Imperial Guards
  • Bleak Falls Barrows is an ancient ancient Nord catacombs which features rivers, tree roots coming through the ceiling and light coming through odd cracks.
  • 120 Dungeons and Bethesda claims that ‘no two areas will be alike’.
  • The Shivering isles expansion inspired the team that unique, hand-crafted cities, where no two buildings look the same, was the way to go.
  • Snow will be recreated unlike any other game before,landscapes realistically get dusted with snow landing in appropriate nooks and crannies.

Dragon Shouts are ancient words which when uttered by the player, will invoke powerful magic powers. These shouts can be upgraded for a more powerful or lengthier impact. Dragon Shouts can be acquired by finding the word inscriptions on walls or by slaving dragons.

Confirmed Locations:-

• Solitude
  • Markarth
  • Dawnstar
  • Winter Hold
  • Windhelm
  • Whiterun
  • Riften
  • Falkreath

Confirmed Skills:-

• Alchemy
  • Illusion
  • Conjuration
  • Destruction
  • Restoration
  • Alteration
  • Enchanting

That’s more than enough info to satisfy all the Elder Scrolls fans out there. But hopefully, the news will keep rolling in. Although we hardly know anything about the game, Skyrim is already shaping up to be one of the most refined and complete RPGs ever.

-------

All in all, I'd say this building up quite nicely. If Bethesda have learnt the lessons from Fallout 3 and Oblivion, then I reckon we could be onto a real gem of a game.

There are also rumors that the player might be able to ride dragons, but whether or not its true isn't something I've been able to identitfy yet. Again, will keep everyone updated when more news surfaces!

Screenshots and concept art has been released in the latest issue of OPM (UK's official Playstation magazine). I've had to steal these from PS3Trophies.org because my scanners busted >.>

Screenshots:

med_5435786419_ff17da42a7_o.jpg

med_5435786475_bcde1d0b5d_o.jpg

med_5435786499_759a30fb7f_o.jpg

med_5435786543_4c80de88bf_o.jpg

med_5435786561_9dbdbeac6f_o.jpg

med_5435786585_0580209d5e_o.jpg

med_5436395740_b7955e094f_o.jpg

med_5436395760_75909c1391_o.jpg

med_5436395784_67172856c3_o.jpg

med_5436395914_3afa9bc984_o.jpg

Concept Art:

skrimconcept1.jpg

skrimconcept2.jpg

skrimconcept3.jpg

skrimconcept4.jpg

skrimconcept5.jpg

I think we can all agree that this looks amazing! Again, more screenshots and details will be published when I get them!

• 2 weeks later...