Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Joker

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I went crazy and started with a kajit with sword and magic and archery but didnt like it much so i restarted as a blacksmithing elf caster with heavy armor and pulled the guards in dragonsreach and let them hit me for over an hour while i healed to get skill ups on the heavy armor to make it weigh nothing :P level 25 low in quests and wearing the best crafted armor as a mage i love it

Finally got the game, so happy with it. Only thing that I want to complain about is that mages are overpowered and mage monsters seem to have an unlimited supply of mana. Still great so far and after I killed the control scheme for the Oblivion controls, all was well.

Starting off by playing a dark elf rogue that specializes in marksmanship. Pretty awesome so far, I really like how they introduced cooking into the game so that bread and stuff wasnt alchemy components. Anyways, more updates after I play more

I'm pleasantly surprised about how Fallout affected Elder Scrolls. Made the gaming all in all more comfortable, but still would like more ways to complete a quest. Like in case with the cannibals, you can either assist them by doing what the quest says, or just massacre them without warning (which is quite awkward). Can't rat them out, persuade into leaving the nasty habit, can't tell them to mind their own business and let you be (can ignore the active quest forever, but c'mon, that's a stupid solution). Then, the followers aren't really individuals, rather just an assisting sword and extra inventory space. The many "fetch this, do that" quests that bring some extra XP in other games can't really do that in Elder Scrolls, so instead they bring cash which sometimes look weird (seemingly poor folk suddenly part with valuables just cause you agreed to run a small errand for them. At one point a Jarl gives you half a grand in gold because you inform him that he wont be getting his pay from one of the mills anytime soon... suspicious.)

Hey but i emphasize, all that is a small rant, overall the game leaves a great impression.

• 1 month later...

Skyrim was a very attractive and fun game. Story is ok. Combat is typical. Pet control is still largely pointless, as your merc will run off and get themselves battered to hell regardless of what you tell them. But, compared to IV they really did work out the majority of kinks, except for the horses... Those damn things are so freaking useless, they move barely faster than infinite sprint/shout, without the added benefit of steering.. But in fairness it's handy for getting over mountains, if you point one at a vertical cliff face it will walk right up it..

Whilst they have still kept the flawed 'xp from ability use' component, it's no where near as punishing as oblivion. Although the unbalanced XP gain to stop you maxing 1 skill set means that if you want to use any type of efficiency or aim for max level cap you are forced into playing the opposite of how you planned 2/3s of the time, and with bizarre mini games every few levels. eg: my 'mage' standing in full armour and shield chain block/healing as i'm being mauled by a bear for 15minutes so as to increase resto/armour/block.. still, its not as bad as oblivion where you had to point your horse the wrong way and stealth creep into a wall for an hour to level :)

My recomendation would be to decide beforehand if you are going to level talents flat or RP a specific model and if you pick specific just run with the game play you want till the end of the story line/100 talent point cap, ignoring the nagging feeling that youre missing something, and once done start over in a different class.