So...it seems Japan has lost it. Banning Anime & Manga?

idl12

Not good. The man really means business. If you ask me, I really think that this policy of his is unfair for every anime fan. What's an anime without the slightest adult theme? Are they expecting us to watch a "Loco-Roco-Like" anime wherein the characters are like singing lalalalalallalalalaa and all? We need to get Santa T_T

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most prominent threat here being no more HOTD, I am now very, very sad, I think I might just go rape a few underaged girls just to vent the pent up pedophile- ish sexual feelings I have that was usually put to rest with all the ecchi I've been watching, get what I'm saying?

No, Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, Darker Than Black and about 85% of ALL Anime is being threatened. Under this new law none of these would be permitted to be sold, and also nothing like them would be allowed to be made.

No, Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, Darker Than Black and about 85% of ALL Anime is being threatened. Under this new law none of these would be permitted to be sold, and also nothing like them would be allowed to be made.

if that happens then the creators will be bankrupted and then just like that, the good animes will vanish in thin air...

ya know ... the more i think about it, the more i realize - THIS WONT HAPPEN

think about all the companies that have made tonnes of money off animating all this and the companies which have made even more money dubbing them.

Do you honestly think they are gonna let a golden hen be taken from them obediently.

my guess is - bribes are gonna be passed around, apologies are gonna be given, and this bill is going off in less than a year.

Don't know, if I am reading statements between lines correctly it should only effect broadcasting as such, not banning, they would just shift to adult/mature section.

And Raz, I think, the publisher did this, cause the manga might not earn well if its shifted to 18+ section(although the cause is same), so in short, it will discourage, not if "ban" such type of genre[well, genre(lolz) violence, ecchi, at-least a single element can be found in most of the animes].

Not everyone is taking this sitting down:

Shueisha senior managing director and editor Kazuhiko Torishima said at the New Manga Creators Awards ceremony on Monday: “I want new manga authors to produce manga that would blow away [Tokyo Governor] Shintaro Ishihara.” Masahiko Ibaraki, the editor-in-chief of Shueisha's third editorial department, added to the new manga creators, "Don't let the chilling effect [of increased regulation] stop you from doing material you want to do. Jump will feature anything [we feel] that is exciting [to read].“

Row! Row! Fight the Powah!

Not everyone is taking this sitting down:
Shueisha senior managing director and editor Kazuhiko Torishima said at the New Manga Creators Awards ceremony on Monday: “I want new manga authors to produce manga that would blow away [Tokyo Governor] Shintaro Ishihara.” Masahiko Ibaraki, the editor-in-chief of Shueisha's third editorial department, added to the new manga creators, "Don't let the chilling effect [of increased regulation] stop you from doing material you want to do. Jump will feature anything [we feel] that is exciting [to read].“

Row! Row! Fight the Powah!

Lol nice reference! xD

Anyway as quoted from many great ppl all around:

"This is only the beginning!"

Those who still don't know, there re some key elements in all of the articles. One is that it isn't really a ban, like it says. It is just regulation. The adult-themed anime (99.9% of all of it) would only be able to be sold in places like "Adult Corner-stores". They would also be removing late-night TV programming of anime (which is stupid since it is on late at night and the kids they are trying to protect shouldn't be up at those times in the first place). Many companies are taking this law to literally in it saying that it is a ban and are actually resorting to removing anything that could fall under the law from distribution, which would alsomean it wouldn't be able to be licensed.

I think it will just be an age restriction. the article I read about it says its only going to restrict the people able to buy it. anything deemed "harmful" will be for adults only. Companies can still create what they feel like, the legal audience will just be down and a lot of it wont be broadcast on public television. But i bet they will create a television station in Japan just for "banned" anime because not being able to air anime would put some companies out of business which would be harmful to the country's national economy. And right now harming a countries economy would be a bad thing. I think we dont have much to worry about unless they revise the law and make it ban production of anime. This law focuses on the sale of anime.

I think it will just be an age restriction. the article I read about it says its only going to restrict the people able to buy it. anything deemed "harmful" will be for adults only. Companies can still create what they feel like, the legal audience will just be down and a lot of it wont be broadcast on public television. But i bet they will create a television station in Japan just for "banned" anime because not being able to air anime would put some companies out of business which would be harmful to the country's national economy. And right now harming a countries economy would be a bad thing. I think we dont have much to worry about unless they revise the law and make it ban production of anime. This law focuses on the sale of anime.

Regardless of what this law is suppose to do, it's not even in effect yet and already publishers are turning down or not allowing certain manga's to be made. One Manga-ka said her publisher turned down her manga for simply having girls dressed in School uniforms based on this new law.

So even if it doesn't necessarily ban it outright, many companies will still lose money based on not being able to air said series on said TV station or sell the dvd's in said store. Which will lead to less and less of them being accepted by publishers which equals less and less stories seeing the light of day that isn't either G or PG rated.

In the end it still has the same effect, and that effect has already started to effect Anime & Manga.