So...it seems Japan has lost it. Banning Anime & Manga?

idl12

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More importantly, the bill is directed at video games, anime and manga, but does not encompass novels, films, TV and photographs. Mediums that use real-life images are exempt.

Um...Priorities much? I wasn't too happy about this law to begin with, but now I'm just downright pissed off. If you're going to ban something, ban it everywhere. Novels makes a little sense since it's just descriptions and not visuals, but Live-Action Films and TV??? Bullshit.

“It’s not just about children. We’ve got homosexuals casually appearing even on television. Japan has become far too untamed. I’ll go forward with [this bill] with a sense of mission in heart.”

...Wait...what??? Did he actually repeat with or is that just a typo? Oh...yeah...the homosexuality thing, yeah, that pisses me off too. Is this guy really using that as an excuse for banning Adult Content? I thought we were actually developing as a planet and finally accepting people for their choices. Apparently having faith in humanity was the wrong way to go.

Um...Priorities much? I wasn't too happy about this law to begin with, but now I'm just downright pissed off. If you're going to ban something, ban it everywhere. Novels makes a little sense since it's just descriptions and not visuals, but Live-Action Films and TV??? Bullshit.

It’s not just about children. We’ve got homosexuals casually appearing even on television. Japan has become far too untamed. I’ll go forward with [this bill] with a sense of mission in heart.”

...Wait...what??? Did he actually repeat with or is that just a typo? Oh...yeah...the homosexuality thing, yeah, that pisses me off too. Is this guy really using that as an excuse for banning Adult Content? I thought we were actually developing as a planet and finally accepting people for their choices. Apparently having faith in humanity was the wrong way to go.

thats not right at all and useing that excuse (highlighted in red) and then he says this (highlighted in blue) ya right thats nothing copared to some contrys its nothing then he says this (highlighted in purple) what misson its pointless i would not be suprised if the figuer out how to have the anime fair they are very determend

This is only set to affect Shinjuku. Other areas do not have to follow, but they may if they choose to. Tokyo is the capital, so the other areas will most likely follow suit, but it doesn't mean that they will. I haven't heard any news of it affecting any other areas, as of yet. Also, this isn't as bad as many people believe. It will only affect Ecchi and Hentai, basically, since it is only currently for anything with a sexual theme. Violence and other themes are, as of yet, not in the bill, unless it is something like rape. That is the only sort of violence covered under this law. The anime, manga, and games with these themes will just have an 18+ rating on it and moved to the Adult sections. Some companies may need to find new publishers, though, in order to release their work to the pubic. Other than that, nothing else should happen with this. It will basically be like in the USA, but the USA has less strict enforcement when it comes to anime releases. People that think this law will have a drastic effect need to calm down and actually read what has been said. You should realize that what I have been saying in this post, as well as some others on other sites, is true, unless they change the law before it goes into effect and it starts affecting other things.

so Ragnawind answer me one question and I'll lay my complaints to rest regardless if it's a positive or negative answer, Will Ecchi and Hentai survive after this? that's all I really need to know.

That depends on how the manga writers, publishers, and other producers of the content go about releasing it. If they just add the 18+ rating to the product and distribute it properly, it could survive. The people would just need to know that you can only find that type of content in the adult sections. Most people that actually watch or read that genre are usually those that are over the age requirement anyway. The only problem is with ecchi, since many younger viewers watch it, as well. There are ways around this, but they would usually involve using the internet to purchase it (bypass age restriction by faking real age), or getting someone older to get it, even if they have to be tricked into getting it. As long as the product is still purchased, it will survive, assumiing they get enough money from the sales. They will have to adapt (the companies and the consumers), in order to keep them in existence.

I see, well I guess this isn't as bad as I had initially thought, though I am still uncomfortable with it. I really do hope that somehow if not hentai at least Ecchi content will pull through this, but whatever happens, happens I suppose, I just hope this isn't the end of big unreasonably jiggly breasts, it's kind of one the main factors that keep me attached to anime really.

Under Bill 156, the industry will regulate "manga, anime, and other images" that "unjustifiably glorify or exaggerate" certain sexual or pseudo sexual acts. The government can also directly regulate these images if the depicted acts are also "considered to be excessively disrupting of social order" such as rape.

The self-regulation clauses of Bill 156 will go into effect on April 1 of next year, and the restrictions on sales and renting will go into effect on July 1. The current ordinance already prevents the sale and renting of "harmful publications" — materials that are "sexually stimulating, encourages cruelty, and/or may compel suicide or criminal behavior" to people under the age of 18.

They aren't going to ban it. Slapping on an 18+ sticker and moving it to the Adult section is what they are going to do.

The problem that ban raises is its vague wording means that it may be subject to abuse in which case many anime showing almost anything to do with crimes may come under the banner in which case you will see many anime directed at youth become 18+. This essentially kills of the youth market of anime and manga as those directed at a slightly younger audience but contain scenes or themes that may be directed at a more mature audience may be subject to the 18+ sticker and being put in the Adult Corner. Take for example Trigun. Its a great little series for a younger generation. However its slightly more adult themes may cause it to become Adult only.

An adult manga cannot be published in the standard magazines though as they are marketed at teens and therefore reduces the content and advertisement a series gets. Mature anime are unlikely be aired and will just go straight to a DVD/BD release.

The problem is not with the law itself but how it is worded. If they wish to restrict series showing crimes against childlike characters then that is still a hit but its a logical hit. There is a clear motive and although I don't support it myself I can see where they would come from with this. The law however basically says that anything judged as a crime or containing a hint of mature themes may be relegated to the 18+ section.

This is the thing. This is being blown WAY out of proportion. It is a restriction yes and that is always bad however there is no gurantee that this will affect the range of anime and manga that people think it will. I think the worst you will see are series like KissXSis, Queen's Blade and To Love Ru being sectioned as hentai or 18+.

They aren't going to ban it. Slapping on an 18+ sticker and moving it to the Adult section is what they are going to do.

The problem that ban raises is its vague wording means that it may be subject to abuse in which case many anime showing almost anything to do with crimes may come under the banner in which case you will see many anime directed at youth become 18+. This essentially kills of the youth market of anime and manga as those directed at a slightly younger audience but contain scenes or themes that may be directed at a more mature audience may be subject to the 18+ sticker and being put in the Adult Corner. Take for example Trigun. Its a great little series for a younger generation. However its slightly more adult themes may cause it to become Adult only.

An adult manga cannot be published in the standard magazines though as they are marketed at teens and therefore reduces the content and advertisement a series gets. Mature anime are unlikely be aired and will just go straight to a DVD/BD release.

The problem is not with the law itself but how it is worded. If they wish to restrict series showing crimes against childlike characters then that is still a hit but its a logical hit. There is a clear motive and although I don't support it myself I can see where they would come from with this. The law however basically says that anything judged as a crime or containing a hint of mature themes may be relegated to the 18+ section.

This is the thing. This is being blown WAY out of proportion. It is a restriction yes and that is always bad however there is no gurantee that this will affect the range of anime and manga that people think it will. I think the worst you will see are series like KissXSis, Queen's Blade and To Love Ru being sectioned as hentai or 18+.

I've been saying the same things ever since I started reading into it more in-depthly. People I guess just didn't want to acknoledge what was currently known about it (being regulated, or restricted, to certain age level consumers).

I've been saying the same things ever since I started reading into it more in-depthly. People I guess just didn't want to acknoledge what was currently known about it (being regulated, or restricted, to certain age level consumers).

So.....they wanted to believe that its the end of anime?

~Irony