Darkside

Empathy

Running. I could feel my heart race; my eyes I knew had turned red. Fear, sickly sweet smell hitting my nose. I could almost taste it. Though the taste of his scarlet liquid would be like a matured wine. Dark, heavy and thick. They say the soul burns it’s brightest just before death. I am the hunter and the prey. While this pathetic human is but a beast for the slaughter.

Chapter 1

It has been twenty years. A long twenty years, since Darkside opened its doors. The world has changed and now their world had too. The cold mansion, with its wrought iron gates, the long deserted wings, with its hollow rooms, remained as they had when the building had been closed as a mental institution. Its dark peeling walls with its dust crusted wall paper. Every step on the threadbare carpets, coughed up dust clouds. The stench of mould and decay filled each room. The spider web cracks spiralling along the faded paint. Each sound like the shattering of glass against the roar of the silence. The paintings of those long since passed, look like cracked porcilne; the eyes forever watching, forever accusing stare at the wanderer from the walls. The woman’s footsteps echo off the walls as they seem to crush her heart, bringing company to the aching loneliness that fills it.

The mirrors that the tunnels of the mansion reflect her image. Even if they no longer reflect the soul. Her skin flawless like white china that has never been touched by the sun. The woman’s lips a perfect cupid’s bow, the colour of soft pink roses. While her long red hair, almost glows even with no light, shining like precious rubies, intricately braided down her lean but powerful back. The woman’s broad shoulders and tapered waist, brought out by her leather trousers clinging to her muscular legs. The soft black t-shirt curving around her torso showing her feminine curves to their advantage. The calf hugging black boots softly expelling dust from the carpet as walks through the hall of mirrors. No mirror could hide what she wished to forget. Those black eyes. Holes of endless time jutting out of her face. Never forgiving, forever cold.

A masculine tone rumbles through the corridor’s emptiness; “Megara? Megara come out of hiding!”

The woman sighed, as she walked down the creaking staircase, each step like a moan of pain.

The entrance hall showed disrepair, the walls cracked with age, the ceiling high with its chandelier missing its crystal droplets. The dust and debris on the floor showing the trails of its mistress had taken. The high arched windows covered with heavy blood red velvet drapes, the colour faded with age.

“Why are you here Cirrus?” Megara’s voice was rich and heavily accented showing her age, those hollow eyes full of disdain.

Cirrus stared up at Megara, who was standing halfway on the staircase, his almost white blue eyes meeting that endless darkness. His hair softly falling into his eyes contrasting with the colour of dark chocolate. His height may have dwarfed Megara as did his breath. The white shirt pressed and flawless whilst his black jeans like his large sliver plated shitkickers.

The small smile that curved his lips made his eyes shine.

“Megara, why aren’t you a sight for old eyes;” the man’s eyes were hiding his intent and emotion.

“I’ll only ask once more Cirrus. Why are you here?” Megara voice stern and forceful, her eyes never wavering from his piercing gaze.

Icarus just continued to smile from the doorway, letting the cool night air in. “Come on Megara, what happened to the warm hospitality?”

“You know what happened,” her grip on the railing intensified. The moan of the wood under her hand slowly got louder till a loud crack shattered the silence, turning the wood into splinters. Icarus flinched, knowing that the woman in front of him was not the same one he remembered. She slowly raised her hand to slowly tug the small pieces from her white sheet like skin. Her voice eerily calm and steady as she spoke, “Speak or leave.”

The male stood his ground as he tried not to wince at what he saw. “Megara. There has been a sighting,” Icarus’ voice was no louder than a whisper, but the words echoed.

Megara’s fists clenched tight as she gritted her teeth as though she was in great pain, “Where?”

“Megara…please, let me help. You can’t forever be alone,” Icarus’ voice imploring at her to reconsider.

The pale woman pivoted and walked back from whence she came up the staircase, each step sounding like the beat of a heart. Icarus followed unsure what to do, as he had only seen her like this once before, making Megara’s next move unpredictable.

She was nearly running now, as her mind threw images that were best forgotten. Megara’s body was visibly trembling as the memories became clearer with each step. The male following was now shouting at her back, but as she retreated she could no longer hear his voice. Her ears were full of screams that made her heart bleed.

Faces flashed past, each smile turning into that of horror. She crashed to her knees panting hard. Her fists clenched in front of her, those black eyes now shut.

Icarus approached the kneeling woman with the lightest of footsteps. Slowly and gently placing his hand on her shoulder.

SNAP!

The sound of fangs sinking into flesh. Icarus winced. Megara’s eyes the colour of blood, drenched in pain and unending sorrow.

The carpet beneath them speckled with bright droplets against the dust. Icarus remained still his eyes calm but reflecting her pain. Slowly her eyes faded back to their darkness, before her teeth retracted. His hand marked with a perfectly with an imprint of her teeth. The woman’s pink tongue slowly licking her lips clean, her eyes shut.

Edited by Emotional Outlet

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very captivating Meg, I found this sentence: His hand marked with a perfectly with an imprint of her teeth. The woman’s pink tongue slowly licking her lips clean, her eyes shut.

slightly out of place though.

It seems a little hard to read. Sorry if I have upset offended but I am one who likes to know what is weird sounding with my own stories that way I can make them better. So sorry again if I hurt your feelings >.<;

Maybe I missed something when reading it, but I read it 2x to make sure.

It's a really good story, but I really don't know whats going on. Good for suspense though. XD

Wonder what the sighting was about that made Megara feel so uneasy... enough to bite Icarus.

If it's about vampires, which that is what it seems to me, well you've already got Twilight beat. =O

Chapter 2There was blood that night too. The banners fluttered in the soft summer breeze, carrying the sickly sweet smell of honeysuckle and fresh blood, through the shattered ceiling high windows. The heavy curtains slowly fluttering too. The tar like sky was clouded, so that the pools on the floor looked like freshly spilt ink.

Megara has dressed in a tight bodice dress, that looked as though it had been made from the night itself. Her breathing sharp and rapid as she couldn’t breath, as the bodice seemed to tight on her chest. She slowly drew closer, to the dark shadows that cluttered the floor. The moon slowly shone through the dispersing cloud, to illuminate the ivory faces of those who once were her family.

Suddenly she was on her knees, the breeze had stopped the banner from moving so it could now be read, ‘Happy Birthday Megara!’. The dark eyes, flat and lifeless starred up at her. The young female now of age, trembled above them, leaning over the dead that once were her loved ones. The warm blood turning the black silk darker. The tears slowly rolling down her own pale cheeks, as her glazed eyes starred out at her parents.

In death as in life, they were holding hands; their swords clung in the other. The couple’s wounds identical, their stomach ripped out and its contents spread between them like gigantic worms, but their throats sliced to look as though a thin scarlet ribbon hand been tied around her throat.

Megara’s anger boiled. They had been denied the death of a warrior and to be killed outright in battle; instead they had been gutted with their throats slashed, left to bleed out while they watched the other die.

The shadows moved. Megara lost to her grief and despair, trembled as the emotions blinded her other senses to the shadowy figure approaching her from behind.

His lank hair the colour of angel wings fell into his icy flat but glowing scarlet eyes. The malicious smile that he wore spoke of hunger. His body skeletal as his skin looked like paper. Those pale spiders moving to grip the hilt of his blade, the smooth and dull shine becoming visible as he unsheathes it almost silently. His yellow teeth slowly beginning to lengthen as he breathing stayed slow and even.

Megara had lowered her head as she began to sob and contemplate her life without her family. He creeped slowly behind her, his body like the shadows themselves. Megara felt someone behind her as she turned the cold steel sliced across her jugular. Bright scarlet splattered across the dead as well as her killer, his slow grin filling her vision. He slowly licked his bloodied lips whispering in her ear, “Happy eighteenth birthday, Megara.”

The last word she spoke was his name, “Slash.”

The world stopped for Megara, the face her and her parents killer, permanently seared into her mind. The ballroom fading as his laughter echoed in her ears.

Hot sweet fluid ran down the back of her throat, as warmth surrounded her body. Megara’s lips tightened on the soft skin against her lips as she slowly began to suck. A soft masculine groan filled her ears. Her eyes felt heavy as she ceased to feed.

“You need to drink…..Megara,” a soft male voice whispered.

The young vampires forced her eyes to open, to see pale almost white blue eyes. The young male only looked in his late teens, as he gently whispered, “It’s okay….My name is Icarus. You are safe milady.”

She slowly slipped back into unconsciousness.

Megara opened her eyes slowly now back in the present. Twenty years may have passed but Icarus’ only looked one or two years older but his eyes displayed infinite age.

Slowly but weakly he smiled, as he knelt in front of her, pulling her hard into his lean but strong body. She may not have been crying but he felt how she trembled as she whispered almost inaudibly; “He cannot be back.”

Lightly he kissed her brow, whispering, “I’ll be here….I promised I’d be here….Please Megara don’t face him alone.”

Chapter 3

Megara had stopped trembling after he spoke those words. Slowly she peeled his arms away from her, as she then stood. Her cheeks dry, her eyes focused as though she were a hawk who’d found her prey.

Icarus starred up at the woman, she had changed so much since the last time they had met. His memories flashed back across his mind before settling on the Megara of the present. He wished they would turn back to the colour of summer violets and the small smile that would make her look mischievous. He couldn’t look at this side of Megara without his heart aching. He heard soft feet moving away from him, as he opened his eyes he saw Megara moving purposely away from him. He practically jumped to his feet rushing after the vampiress.

The young woman walked fast heading down the hall, towards two intricately carved oak doors. Each designed and flawlessly engraved with a sign tore from a book of fairy tales. The Cirrus thought this were ironic when they had first been fitted, but when he realised which room they led to it made more sense. As she pushed open the doors they caused a long moan, as the dank and dark room was revealed.

The room strangely had thirteen sides, three of them were high windows covered once again with heavy but black velvet drapes, thickly coated with dust. The other ten sides were ceiling to floor bookshelves, around half way up there was a balcony running around the whole room except for the windows. The bottom half had an ornate fireplace that was as intericatley carved as the doors had been. Although the books had been perfectly shelved around the book case, the long forgotten ash made the room cold. Icarus soft starred at the forgotten hearth and softly blinked to make a soft green fire appear in its place. A simple childlike task for a Cirrus like him, watching Megara climb the ebony wrought iron ladders. As he already knew what the room contained, in the centre of the room sat a large rustic wooden table, which was surround by plush, old armchairs with there high back and knarled legs.

Megara had climbed up to the balcony, and was now whirling across the shelves on the second set of ladders for the upper bookshelves. Her pale thin fingers

running across the spines that made him shiver. Suddenly she slammed her hand down across a large thick black book, tugging the enormous and ancient book from its shelf, once she had the book cradled into her arms she used the sides of her boots to slide down the ladder, before leaping to a perfect landing on the floor.

Slamming the book on to the table dust coming from the pages in clouds, as her delicate fingers flicked the pages to land at a yellow paged. Megara’s voice tight, “He must have known it was here Icarus….It’s time to destroy it once and for all.”