Kouhai

Haihai. Kouhai here. Two more works to add. I've got my SOTW entry, and another attempt at a gif-sig.

knight_zpsbfd4f54a.png

gif-sig_zps59414dea.gif?t=1401342320

@lemming: Thanks. I tried following PLGF's tutorial for the gif I did. It was helpful, though I'm not too sure how else to apply it. >__<

@Emrys: haha, sorry! Maybe when I'm more experienced I could turn the black flames into a sig.

C&C always appreciated.

Well, for your GIF sig, I would make your text a little darker. Whenever the bubbles rise up behind it, it makes it harder to see.

Also glad the tutorial works. Its a basic GIF tutorial, but thats exactly how most GIF's will go if you make them. Get it to loop, and put in all the frames :P

I would CnC your other sig, but I will save that for when the SOTW voting begins.

oh my, your style is fabulous. don't see a lot like it. & there's a very stunning contrast between render and background.
(I personally like how you keep them a bit longer than most with the top/bottom border)
But I agree with everyone else about text visibility and placement. 

Kenshin one is still my fav.

• Like 1

Working on my SOTW entry right now. 90% done, here is what I have so far. It's a bit different, so I'm a bit out of my comfort zone.

C&C Always appreciated.

Kouhai-Sengoku_zps4f53a507.png

@Limitless, yeah! .gifs are really hard to do, even more so for avatars. (With the 50kb limit). I mean, I have enough trouble getting a normal picture under 50kb, let alone a gif!

@RabbitBones, Thank you! Yeah, the kenshin one was a lucky hit, ahah. Text has always been my weak point, ugh! Trying to work on it now. :s

@playlamegetfame, Thanks! I've always been envious of people who can make good .gifs. I'll be sure to try out Fireworks when I have a little more time! :>

(Also, thanks for the .psd file. It helped me out a lot. You keep your files really clean!)

@Limitless, yeah! .gifs are really hard to do, even more so for avatars. (With the 50kb limit). I mean, I have enough trouble getting a normal picture under 50kb, let alone a gif!

It's fine, I realized the gif thing doesn't work with the small size limit. PNG or JPG is fine. I already got Tsukumo working on it, but you can also give it a try. Maybe you can live up to being SOTW's winner.

I already gave it a shot, but wasn't happy with what I came up with so I didn't say anything.

.GIF was too big. .PNG was too big. .JPEG looked dodgey, ahah.

gif: (the size is too big)

ava_zps6606dabc.gif?t=1402339574

jpeg: (the only one with the right size)

ava_zps2503c8e0.jpg

You'll see when/if you put it on as an avatar, it doesn't look good. (I'm not an avatar-making kind of guy).

But if you want to, feel free to use it.

./Edit:

Also got a v.3 on my Bakemonogatari signature. I don't think I can put in any more time to improve it, so it'll stay like this.

Kouhai-Sengoku2_zpsbdbf746a.png

Edited by Kouhai

Your work is amazing Kouhai!! My personal favourite would be the Makisu from Stein;s Gate .gif

So while my CnC wont be directed towards your sigs as such, I thought that it might be a good idea for your to post all your work in your original first post, so that users dont have to page through what will eventually be a lengthy thread to see what you have done :)  e.g. Like this or like this

Keep up the good work and best of luck with the text ^_^

Edited by Moodkiller
  • Like 1

Your work is amazing Kouhai!! My personal favourite would be the Makisu from Stein;s Gate .gif

So while my CnC wont be directed towards your sigs as such, I thought that it might be a good idea for your to post all your work in your original first post, so that users dont have to page through what will eventually be a lengthy thread to see what you have done :)  e.g. Like this or like this

Keep up the good work and best of luck with the text ^_^

Thanks MoodKiller! I'll go through everything and try put them on the front post. :x

Text is hard. :<

Definetely like the Aiden pearce avatar, Your works are really especially the sengoku signature, just keep experimenting different techniques and you will find your rhythm.

:> I'm experimenting a lot more now. It's actually pretty fun ( and hard ).

Thanks Kenzouuuuu!

• Like 1

I already gave it a shot, but wasn't happy with what I came up with so I didn't say anything.

ava_zps2503c8e0.jpg

You'll see when/if you put it on as an avatar, it doesn't look good. (I'm not an avatar-making kind of guy).

You were right the JPG doesn't come out as well if it was PNG. Thanx for trying though, both look awesome.

ava_zps2503c8e0.jpg

You were right the JPG doesn't come out as well if it was PNG. Thanx for trying though, both look awesome.

Like i already mentioned:

For Avatars, a non-animated .gif is ideal. Its lossless and small.

jpeg's arent lossless.

png's are, but in small sized pictures like avatars its inferior to a non-animated .gif. same quality but way bigger file size. it has something to do with its sourcecode.

i could write a more detailed tut about that...

Edited by playlamegetfame

This is kinda how I wanted my avi

watch_dogs___aiden_pearce_face_render_by

But with moving symbols, the background symbols. If anyone can do that, I'll apreaciate it.

I'll recommend around 150x150. Not sure if it'll work out though.

@Kohai, the reason your gif couldn't fit was because the file size was 200x200, but even if the file size was 150x150, it would probably still exceed the size limit.

Edited by LimitLess

I'd love to know your secret for your backgrounds. -waggles eyebrows- They blend really well with your renders!

Haha! As I said before, I actually do very little to the stock backgrounds.

Well, on pixiv.net (It's kind of like a HQ anime version of deviant art) I'm following quite a few people that do scenic pictures, so I have quite a selection to choose from. This makes it easy to match my render.

Once I've got the stock placed + render. I'll put a soft black and white gradient over them both to make them more 'dull'. I find this makes them look more uniformed.

After I'll add the curves in to make the dark parts darker, and vice versa.

Then I'll re-color the places I don't like and after that I'll blur/smudge.

It sounds like a bit more than it is. It's just adding layers until the last part.

- - - -

@plgf: ooh, I did not know that. :x Thanks, that'll definitely make ava's easier to create now!

@Rabbit: Thanks! :> It's a bit different from what I'm used to.

@limitless: Haha, yeah. I dropped the size from 200x200, to 150^2 but it came out even worse. :P

- - - -

I'll have an update with my newer works soon!

Edited by Kouhai
  • Like 1