Thoughts on Final Fantasy XIII

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I Platinumed XIII and although it was a button masher I still enjoyed it (Those cieth missions were an extreme pain in my ass)

The combat system was honestly awfull and the paradigm shift was what did it for me, it was horrible they tried to add too many things into FF XIII at once

But it seems XIII-2 is making combat a lot smoother and so its not gonna be a button mash fest, I Found XIII more of a button masher then soul ressurreccion

But it seems XIII-2 is making combat a lot smoother and so its not gonna be a button mash fest, I Found XIII more of a button masher then soul ressurreccion

Actually the battle system is mostly unchanged aside from a few additions and the ability to recruit monsters. It's still the same old paradigm change and 'auto-battle' button presses.

It was brilliant and epic, loving the Hi-Def cutscenes (even if there were more of them than actual gameplay), didn't really see what was wrong with it alot of people had issues with it, but i enjoyed it nonetheless. Also can't wait for the sequel been watching some trailers and i'm pretty psyched for it.

Erm, the fact it had absolutely no gameplay what-so-ever.

It was simply a move stick forward through linear narrow pathway and hit x for auto-battle and occasionally do a paradigm shift. Other then that it was utter bullshit with a terrible story, gay ass annoying characters (Lightning and Hope), etc...

Final Fantasy died for me with this game. It'll never be the same and it will likely never be considered RPG again.

• 1 month later...

I liked it overall. Went in without expectations (like I do with all games) and came out mostly pleased with the result. I ALWAYS hated the old turn based system from the moment I saw it (years ago), so I find the battle system in 13 a nice change of pace. Despite it's flaws, I actually liked it more than 10.

Just finished playing 13-2 and liked it as well.

Final Fantasy XIII is my first gaming experience with the Final Fantasy series. I loved Advent Children which was my first exposure and I got the DS version of IV for Christmas a few years back, but haven't found the time to play it in full and fully enjoy it.

As a person with no other "proper" Final Fantasy game to compare XIII to I must say I am really enjoying it. The combat system, while not the most innovative, is certainly challenging as the game progresses. The difficulty curve (for me at least) so far has been a good gradual climb making me have to adapt my Paradigms to new situations and work them properly to still get that 5 stars after a fight. Though the combat isn't the most innovative or involving for a game with more than just the players character involved, the AI in this game is actually quite good. The AI can handle itself well enough with your changes and if you switch their roles right, your party will often give you exactly the boost you need.

The story of XIII was incredibly confusing at first, but then I've heard Final Fantasy has a habit of leaving you in the dark for the first Act of their games, then tying it all together for a great middle and ending, and at Chapter 7 in the story I am starting to see that build up to a good ending. The major problem with the story for me so far is that to really understand it I had to read a lot of the datalog info on these elements within that otherwise made no sense. One thing that is getting to a lot of Final Fantasy fans is that the story is linear and presented in a linear fashion without the illusion of an open world like some other Final Fantasy's (this opinion is based on my experience with the world map on my IV remake). What these die-hard fans don't seem to realise is that sometimes, the player wants a linear story, and with all the multichoice open world adventures out lately who can blame them?

I am not saying that Final Fantasy XIII is a brilliant game or one of the best Final Fantasies or whatever. I haven't experienced enough of the series in order to be able to make such a comparison. My problem is that it is being treated as a piece much worse than it because of its predecessors. It is not the big pile of flaming garbage that everyone thinks it is, and if you are patient enough and aren't really in the mood for getting lost in an open world and forgetting what your purpose was in the first place, Final Fantasy XIII can be an enjoyable experience, but that doesn't mean it will be.

Erm, the fact it had absolutely no gameplay what-so-ever.

It was simply a move stick forward through linear narrow pathway and hit x for auto-battle and occasionally do a paradigm shift. Other then that it was utter bullshit with a terrible story, gay ass annoying characters (Lightning and Hope), etc...

Final Fantasy died for me with this game. It'll never be the same and it will likely never be considered RPG again.

Hey, who's forcing you to use the autobattle? You can select your attacks manually, which is something I did often, especially in harder battles, simply because I wanted to do certain things that autobattle did not. Autobattle is a completely optional part of battle, and the fact that you complain about it sooooo much just means that you shouldn't use it.

Hey, who's forcing you to use the autobattle? You can select your attacks manually, which is something I did often, especially in harder battles, simply because I wanted to do certain things that autobattle did not. Autobattle is a completely optional part of battle, and the fact that you complain about it sooooo much just means that you shouldn't use it.

The point was, I never had a reason not to use it. It's there, and it's all I ever had to do to win every battle. Who would go through the motions simply to select what auto-battle already had ready for you?

The game looks great graphically. I did not finished it yet(even though its been 2 years?) so I can't say anything about the story. I'm 50 hours into it, on chapter 11 (its a long one since the game becomes more open at this point). I did stop playing for months, but I am definitely going to finish it soon.

The point was, I never had a reason not to use it. It's there, and it's all I ever had to do to win every battle. Who would go through the motions simply to select what auto-battle already had ready for you?

I never use the auto-battle system, I think its stupid and requires no skill. I came close to lose battle when using it. I prefer my games with at least a little bit of challenge

• 1 month later...