Thoughts on Final Fantasy XIII

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mates got it for me for my bday, i can say the game is good but its nothing to really go out of your way for.... cool chars and good story line with good graphics is nothing with out the smaller things that just seem to make games better... the shop, battle system general game play is a major let down considering every one here is either a FF fanactic or just wont touch it with a bar of soap dangling from a ten foot pole for what ever reason....

if you like throwing money at the wall go and buy and im sure there will be somthing you like about it, if you cant wait to borrow it of a mate or buy it of what ever site for $35 by all means throw that money at the wall...

id giv it 6.6 / 10

im glad someone brought this up. i was thinking what i would do when i bought this game i.e. how i would play it. i mean, FF 9 and 10 were really tough, what with all the exploring and levelling.

luckily, the guide for 13 seems really straight-forward.

1. Start Game.

2. Watch series of cut-scenes

3. Run down straight path (otherwise known as "tubes")

4. Fight enemies by using auto-battle and tapping "x" when needed.

5. Watch some more 30 minute long cut-scenes

6. Use Snow's lesbionic frost-based scissorcycle.

7. repeat as necessary.

8. ??????

9. Slam fists on a table after playing for 100 hours!!!

10. um..... terrorize people!

11. ???

12. Profit.

hmmmmm, i dunno about you guys, but being the EXCEEDINGLY DUMB gamer of the new generation, i think i'd have a problem with Step 1. could someone tell me how to do that in detail?

[sARCASM END]

I enjoyed it.

Yes, it is pretty linear up until you beat the game. But I think the Mark missions on Pulse help make up for that. Again, you still have the beat the game first to get the most of that, but I personally didn't mind.

And I absolutely love the battle system. I have nothing against the traditional turn-based battle system, but I loved just how fluid and fast-paced it was.

And, I actually found it to be quite challenging. Some of the boss battles really did give me the sense of being challenged, which few FF bosses have ever done.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I can't wait for the sequel.

im glad someone brought this up. i was thinking what i would do when i bought this game i.e. how i would play it. i mean, FF 9 and 10 were really tough, what with all the exploring and levelling.

luckily, the guide for 13 seems really straight-forward.

1. Start Game.

2. Watch series of cut-scenes

3. Run down straight path (otherwise known as "tubes")

4. Fight enemies by using auto-battle and tapping "x" when needed.

5. Watch some more 30 minute long cut-scenes

6. Use Snow's lesbionic frost-based scissorcycle.

7. repeat as necessary.

8. ??????

9. Slam fists on a table after playing for 100 hours!!!

10. um..... terrorize people!

11. ???

12. Profit.

hmmmmm, i dunno about you guys, but being the EXCEEDINGLY DUMB gamer of the new generation, i think i'd have a problem with Step 1. could someone tell me how to do that in detail?

[sARCASM END]

I feel the same this game did not do justice to the FF series

• 2 weeks later...

Its not so bad. It has its pros and cons, but geez 3 disks and I heard they were making a part 2!

It also has alot of cut scenes.

I haven't finished beating it (on disk 2 currently), but I did hate the fact that at moments during the game you cannot switch party members.

That sucked mostly for me, but the paridigms(I think that's how its spelled) were easier than using the sphere grid. I never got the hang of that thing. -___-

Its not so bad. It has its pros and cons, but geez 3 disks and I heard they were making a part 2!

It also has alot of cut scenes.

I haven't finished beating it (on disk 2 currently), but I did hate the fact that at moments during the game you cannot switch party members.

That sucked mostly for me, but the paridigms(I think that's how its spelled) were easier than using the sphere grid. I never got the hang of that thing. -___-

There is only 1 disc on the PS3 version.

It's just they can't fit Blu-ray quality movies on 1 DVD, so the 360 got 3 discs.

60 hours? Most people I talk finished the game in about 20 to 30 hours.. O.o >_<

FF13 is like one of the shortest FF games is what I've heard all over the inter-web.

There is no way. I am forty hours into the game and I'm still not even close to the ending. And I don't even level grind to a big extent like I usually do. The battles are just to long. But I absolutely LOVE FFXIII. That, VIII and X are by far the best three, VII anf IV being by far the worst.

VII anf IV being by far the worst.

O.o did you just say that XIII was BETTER compared to VII and IV?

pardon me for saying this, but FF-XIII IS SO F***ING RETARDED, IT SHOULD BE RENAMED TO "PRESS X - XIII"!!!

because that's all you ever do in that game. You press X, walk down a path, watch 20 minutes of cutscenes, press X to start AUTO-BATTLE (a ridiculous concept btw), watch another half hour or so of cut-scenes, etc.

It's like watching a CGI film except you have to keep on pressing X every once in a while to keep the story going!

While on the other, hand IV and VII actually required you to USE the other buttons. They weren't just there for show. you had to actually do some thinking, some leveling and i don't care how many 7 haters there are out there.

If you didn't like the game, shut up and throw it out but quit whining about why it's more popular than your real favorite Final Fantasy. There are more lovers than haters. Deal with it.

As for IV, you didn't have to do much leveling in that either and it's the easiest actual RPG i've ever played.

I would've said FF-XIII is the easiest RPG i have ever played but i don't consider it worthy of being called that. Like I said, it's a CGI film. let me know when they actually make a game out of it.

Uhm, whoa. I did not mean for anyone to get so offended. Uhm, I just don't believe FFVII was as good as people said. Honestly, the only thing it going for it was the fact that I like most of the characters. I thought, for its time, the graphics just were not that great. (which is wierd. usually square enix is amazing for its times.) I've played other games made at the same time, and VII's graphics were just. . . eh. And I didn't think the storyline was THAT compelling (I hate it when main characters go into a coma-like state and your forced to play characters you don't like.) Now, I never once said I hated the game. I'm not a hater. I just think their were a lot of others that were better. I did not mean any malice by my comment, and I apoligize (I don't want any bad blood, I just started).

There is no way. I am forty hours into the game and I'm still not even close to the ending. And I don't even level grind to a big extent like I usually do. The battles are just to long. But I absolutely LOVE FFXIII. That, VIII and X are by far the best three, VII anf IV being by far the worst.

Now you are just trolling. Between this comment and your other posts. It's clear.

How anyone can say a shitty 20 hour movie with false pretenses of actually being a game by moving from point a to point b on a narrow path and selecting the crappy auto-battle because there really is no battle system and the actual characters are limited for where you are in the game, meaning you cannot level grind or get stronger than you want because they capped it.

Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIV were both full of bugs, glitches, shitty game play, and overall FFXIII isn't even a damn game it's a 20 hour movie. You don't call moving on a narrow path and hitting 'auto-battle' playing or even remotely fun. I'm sorry you wasted 40 hours on a shitty movie, you could have finished it in half the time, honestly. I managed to get a 4th way through the movie in about 3 hours, going by that if I kept up that time I'd have been done in around 12-15 hours, but it was so terrible I quit after the 3 hours.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact that Final Fantasy XIII isn't a game. They made a movie, then wanted you to be able to be the one to move down the narrow paths. You can't change up anything because even the Crystal grid is set for you. You can only get what they want you to when they want you to and not any sooner. Meaning you can't do anything at all till the part of the movie they plan you to. When there is absolutely nothing you can do, that is not a game.

O.o did you just say that XIII was BETTER compared to VII and IV?

pardon me for saying this, but FF-XIII IS SO F***ING RETARDED, IT SHOULD BE RENAMED TO "PRESS X - XIII"!!!

I agree with this, XIII is one of the worst games in the series, I can say that Dirge of Ceribrus on the PS2 is the only one that was worse. Why didn't they just let Rockstar do the game it was made too western. I couldn't play it but 3 hours then I returned it for a refund. Versus XIII on the other hand will be the only thing that can save the whole XIII universe IMO. XIII-2? Did they not learn from X-2? Its just going to be another bomb.

• 3 months later...

But FFXIII wasn't a game in the very sense/definition of what defines a game. It was just a movie, and it would have been better had they realized this and released it in movie format rather than shitting on fans and lying to them as to what it was. You don't get to play it, you get to sit back and go from narrow hallway point a to point b, run into an enemy and watch it go through the motion while you do nothing for hours and hours upon hours with no end in sight. I'm serious. My sister played this game for over 20 hours and it still never changed from this formula. I hear people say it does eventually 'turn into a game' but 20+ hours is way to much shit to bother trying to get through doing nothing to finally see what you might be able to do.

Maybe it's just I guess I feel out of place being 22 years old since I came from a generation that actually prefers to 'play the game' rather than 'watch the game'. I find no joy or fun in a game that isn't really a game.

Who's going to want to play 13-2 when they couldn't sit through that 40 hour movie called 13? You going to play a sequel without knowing the story? Or you going to force yourself to waste your time sitting through that crap so you can play 13-2? Lets face it.. even if 13-2 turns out to be awesome... a lot of people will never know because they won't even bother with it.

Given the history of Square Enix since Square-Soft and Enix merged.. if they make FF7 remake they WILL screw it up. Given the cult following that game has, if they did it would spell the doom of the company. Sure they are already in trouble after the crap they continue to release and continue to lose fans.. but nothing will spell the end of them like destroying the largest cult followings dreams when it comes to console RPG fans. I think Square Enix know this and that is why they are a rather indecisive when it comes to agreeing to actually make the remake or not.

Okay, Koby, I bit my tongue for a long time, but let me ask you something. How much of FF13 did you actually play? Because I'm sorry, it doesn't sound like you have played much. Don't judge a game based off of the first hour of gameplay. I am currently on Chapter 11 and have racked up 50+ hours of gameplay. Sorry, it is challenging, I have died quite a few times, and I train a lot. It's not easy just because of the auto-play feature. In fact, if it wasn't for that, I'd die more often because of how fast-paced battling is. Sorry, play more of it if your going to judge.

Okay, Koby, I bit my tongue for a long time, but let me ask you something. How much of FF13 did you actually play? Because I'm sorry, it doesn't sound like you have played much. Don't judge a game based off of the first hour of gameplay. I am currently on Chapter 11 and have racked up 50+ hours of gameplay. Sorry, it is challenging, I have died quite a few times, and I train a lot. It's not easy just because of the auto-play feature. In fact, if it wasn't for that, I'd die more often because of how fast-paced battling is. Sorry, play more of it if your going to judge.

I never played it, because you can't play it. I watched it play itself for close to 5 hours. My sister watched it play itself for closer to 23 hours. It was the exact same process where she was at. I've heard some people talk about beating the movie in about 25 hours and they said they did it without a single death.

I'm sorry but maybe you're just terrible at playing a movie.

I never played it, because you can't play it. I watched it play itself for close to 5 hours. My sister watched it play itself for closer to 23 hours. It was the exact same process where she was at. I've heard some people talk about beating the movie in about 25 hours and they said they did it without a single death.

I'm sorry but maybe you're just terrible at playing a movie.

1.) Thank you Myrodis19.

2.) The whole "it's not a game, it's a movie" thing is getting veeery old, Koby. Sorry, you don't define what a video game is.

3.) You want a game that only requires you press the X button? What about FFVIII? It was an amazing game and had great reviews. I know you like it, too. But I guarantee you did just like everyone else who played it and junctioned all of your best magic to your strength stat and held down the X button during battle. At least in FFXIII, strategy was involved. You had to shift paradigms, time attacks during lifts, and pay constant attention to HP levels... or did you not get far enough to get to those things? Oh wait, that's right, YOU DIDN'T!!! I don't understand how you can judge a game, and yes Koby, it is a GAME whether you like it or not, based on 5 hours of gameplay. Sorry, that's not very fair to the game.

4.) Finally, I would like to call you for B.S. There is absolutely NO WAY in hell anyone beat the game within 20 hours AND have no deaths. Sure, it MAY be possible with many many many tries, but there is no way he trained enough to where he never died. I had to spend many many hours in Chapter 10 and 11 level grinding because every crystal costed about 8,000-12,000 CP!!! That's about three battles a crystal and there are about 25-35 crystals PER ROLE!!! Sorry, it takes a whiiiile to do that. So, sorry Koby, in these cases, I strongly believe that you didn't give this VIDEO GAME, because it is one, enough time to properly judge it. If you would have ACTUALLY PLAYED MORE THAN 1/800 of the game, then I believe that you would make a valid point.

Sorry, you don't have to like the GAME, but please, actually play it before you make any judgement.

Oh, btw, IT IS A VIDEO GAME!!!! GET OVER IT!!!!!