Random Talk.

Talena Mae

Naw your absolutely right it definatley goes both barrels on the stereotypes. My whole family watches it and they think it's hilarious. And then they wonder why I don't think it's funny. Yeah I get the jokes in the show but, I think you, me, Job, Dae, Angel, and pretty much every other person on this site show's that nerdy people live semi normal lives. We don't teach at college's, live with our parent's past 20, and are super Stephen Hawking smart. Hell I scored a 68 on the ASVAB because I was still hung over from the night before.

I love Big Bang Theory. It's a funny show, and I don't care who thinks otherwise. Penny is my favorite character. I think part of the charm of the show is that, these are not normal nerds by any stretch of the imagination.. It probably helps that I've known people like every one of them on the show... So I can see beyond them being stereotypes.

Also helps that I understand most of the sciency stuff on it.

"And here’s my issue, here’s why The Big Bang Theory makes me feel uncomfortable. We aren’t laughing with Leonard, Sheldon, Raj and Howard. We’re laughing at them."

I watched maybe half or three quarters one episode when I was home for the holidays (because my family thinks because I am vaguely nerdy, I apparently love all things nerdy) and that was the impression I got. Like haha, Sheldon is neurotic and bizarre, that's so funny and unrelatable, let's laugh at him some more.

"Treats it’s non nerdy main female character with a mixture of slut shame-y, idealized object of desire grossness and using her to make the point that being nerdy = being a freak (making you feel bad for her and angry that she’s used as Chuck Lorre’s mouthpiece about why being a nerd is so St00pid)"

Don't know how much water that holds, but just looking at the way the cast is set up, I can definitely buy that this is the case.

It also seems that one of the main criticisms lodged against the show is that it relies on references in lieu of jokes for humour. I have little patience for Family Guy, which is pretty much built on reference as humour, so between "let's laugh at the nerds" and "attractive blonde isn't nerdy so she must be slutty" and references as jokes, it doesn't seem like it's up my alley.

I don't remember what I got on the ASVAB, haha. I think like a 97 or 98? My mechanical score was the lowest, thank goodness I can totally identify what a 9V battery looks like. All I know is pretty much the day after I took it, I got calls from recruiters.

But yeah, when I went through the recruitment process, my recruiter was insistent I take the DLAB because he was way mad he didn't get the chance to take it. After I took it, the only jobs that ended up my wish list at MEPS were airborne and ground linguist. Glad I didn't end up with airborne, wasn't too keen on ending up in SERE.

Oooooh so it's pronounced Burn-uh-debt. I got that from the song :P. I don't watch BBT. Atm I'm watching Dexter's Lab and Jackie Chan Adventures. After that stuff like PPG and Courage the Cowardly Dog are next. I wonder if I'll ever stop watching cartoons...

Also, I am over 20 and currently living in my parents house while I get a job. Absolutely nothing wrong with that since most college kids exit college at 21-22 with buckets of debt.

• Like 1

I laugh at the jokes the characters on Big Bang make, and yes, at the funny situations they end up in. Why? Because they're funny! Or at least, I think so. I guess I just see things differently than whoever wrote that.

On another note... O.o Jim Parsons is gay? ... Meh, not nearly as much of a shock as finding out that Matt Bomer is gay was for me... He, like Neil Patrick Harris, plays straight really really well.

"And here’s my issue, here’s why The Big Bang Theory makes me feel uncomfortable. We aren’t laughing with Leonard, Sheldon, Raj and Howard. We’re laughing at them."

I watched maybe half or three quarters one episode when I was home for the holidays (because my family thinks because I am vaguely nerdy, I apparently love all things nerdy) and that was the impression I got. Like haha, Sheldon is neurotic and bizarre, that's so funny and unrelatable, let's laugh at him some more.

"Treats it’s non nerdy main female character with a mixture of slut shame-y, idealized object of desire grossness and using her to make the point that being nerdy = being a freak (making you feel bad for her and angry that she’s used as Chuck Lorre’s mouthpiece about why being a nerd is so St00pid)"

Don't know how much water that holds, but just looking at the way the cast is set up, I can definitely buy that this is the case.

It also seems that one of the main criticisms lodged against the show is that it relies on references in lieu of jokes for humour. I have little patience for Family Guy, which is pretty much built on reference as humour, so between "let's laugh at the nerds" and "attractive blonde isn't nerdy so she must be slutty" and references as jokes, it doesn't seem like it's up my alley.

I don't remember what I got on the ASVAB, haha. I think like a 97 or 98? My mechanical score was the lowest, thank goodness I can totally identify what a 9V battery looks like. All I know is pretty much the day after I took it, I got calls from recruiters.

But yeah, when I went through the recruitment process, my recruiter was insistent I take the DLAB because he was way mad he didn't get the chance to take it. After I took it, the only jobs that ended up my wish list at MEPS were airborne and ground linguist. Glad I didn't end up with airborne, wasn't too keen on ending up in SERE.

This was interesting because after I got done with the ASVAB they have your score. And me not doing the research like I should have as usual thought 68 was the equivalent of a "D". So I'm sitting outside the room thinking "Man I suck I hope they still give me Infantry (they did, little did I know I only needed a 34 to get the job)." And then this other guy walks out behind me and I looked at the sticker on his chest and it said Army of course. (This was strange to me because only me and one other guy had USMC stickers on our chest every other person out of the 200 had Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard, this got me wondering why I was the only Marine prospect.)

Anyways he's all happy looks at me and then says "I got a 31, I can drive a TRUCK!" Here I am thinking I shouldn't have drank so much last night and this guy only needed a 31 to drive a truck for the army. But, a 98 now that's pretty cool. My GT score was 128, but I've always been good with tech I just never really applied it to anything other than changing the oil in my car.

It's not that I didn't receive my score, it's that I don't remember, haha. Same thing with my DLAB. I think I got a 127 or 131, but hell if I remember what it was exactly. Just that it was high enough they saddled me with Arabic.

We had some truck drivers in the dorms. I can't remember what their AFSC was, since I mostly interacted with other 1Ns and the occasional 3D.

My scores were high enough for pretty much anything except mechanical jobs (which I didn't even want). I don't regret being a linguist, but I like to imagine how things would have gone if I were a 3D instead.

I've often wondered to if my life or career would of panned out differently if I had accepted the offer to EOD, or sniper's, or MARSOC, then I remember that the grass is always greener and the reputation I have accumulated as a regular grunt would be all lost the second I LAT moved to one of those other MOS's. I would have to start right over from square one, no thanks.

By the way, what is 3 Delta anyways?

I'm a wee babby, I'm okay with starting over, haha. Speaking of EOD, though, there was a dude in my squadron who was like a rejected EOD. Word on the grapevine was he'd misplace important stuff and was generally a POS. He eventually ended up getting in trouble because he started mouthing off to our commander??? That our mission is unconstitutional??? And then he started his own militia with a Facebook page???

We like to talk about this person a lot because he is a treasure trove of terrible.

3Ds are the cyber folks. The AFSC came into existence the year after I enlisted~

Meh, not nearly as much of a shock as finding out that Matt Bomer is gay was for me... He, like Neil Patrick Harris, plays straight really really well.

What???????? I like Matt Bomer, especially from his acting in White Collar. Aww man, now it's all spoilt for me! Nooooooo!

With all the talk above, I've been wondering how I would've fared if I had joined the Air Force or Navy? They probably won't take me in because I'm half-blind......they check eyesight really carefully over here and I might be able to survive their hard tests. 

Well I don't know much about the British Armed Forces, but, eye sight in America is no big issue if you have corrective lenses. I wear glasses and shoot better than most of the guy's in my section. But there's ton's of job's that don't involve fighting at all or even knowing how. Just off my free hand I've met welder's, brig guards, armorers, intel bubba's, terp's, submariner's, admin, logistics, engineer's, supply, and mail clerks. They make 20 year career's sorting paperwork and are fine with that. You do that civilian style job but, wear a uniform, it's like being a civilian in Russia during the 70's really.

All I know are intel folks, haha. Although the mission I did was live and we saw immediate results from time to time, it was pretty much a desk job. Linguists rarely, if ever, get deployed, especially if you don't volunteer since pretty much everyone else wants to go. I never volunteered, haha.

Also, loads of linguists are colour blind. A couple of the 1N2s I knew were also colour blind too--intel is pretty much a dumping ground for people with bad eyeballs.

Lolz in my country the armed forces are damn strict about the requirements and very rarely do they make an exception for someone who doesn't meet the exact demands. Err, I wouldn't have minded fighting in the war that tore us apart some years ago, because so many soldiers were dying in bombs and ambushes rather than actual fighting on the battlefield...........so it would've been a great honour to do something for freedom from terrorists. 

All I know are intel folks, haha. Although the mission I did was live and we saw immediate results from time to time, it was pretty much a desk job. Linguists rarely, if ever, get deployed, especially if you don't volunteer since pretty much everyone else wants to go. I never volunteered, haha.

Also, loads of linguists are colour blind. A couple of the 1N2s I knew were also colour blind too--intel is pretty much a dumping ground for people with bad eyeballs.

Yeah you Category 1 interpreter's are hard to get a hold of. Most of the time they just slap us with a local national who is getting paid by the DOD. I don't mind but, a few years ago they weren't doing proper background checks and some bad things came of that.

So what's going on with lolrawr!?!?! Well stuff is!

Finished my summer business law class last Wednesday. I am now a certified attorney. Just like how I'm a certified public accountant because I took a few accounting classes huehuehue. I start my summer marketing class tomorrow.

My late night Saturday shifts have become interesting. Remember those two lab attendants who got at it? Well they got at it again a few weeks ago. Now they work different shifts because of that. So for a few hours I am by myself since the lab people had to accommodate for them idk. I'm glad I don't work for the lab people.

My sister is moving from one apartment to another with a friend. So I temporarily own a 50'' TV now. She should get it back in January when she might move to Hawaii with said friend.

I have toe problems!!! D: I have "surgery" in the morning to remove this tissue that is around my nail. I've had this fungus problem since last year and decided to put tea tree oil on it a few months ago. The toe started growing again but I guess it's doing it wrong since the there's another nail growing underneath. Guess that caused the tissue to come up.

IIIII think that's it. *takes deep breath*

Finished my summer business law class last Wednesday. I am now a certified attorney. Just like how I'm a certified public accountant because I took a few accounting classes huehuehue. I start my summer marketing class tomorrow.

My late night Saturday shifts have become interesting. Remember those two lab attendants who got at it? Well they got at it again a few weeks ago. Now they work different shifts because of that. So for a few hours I am by myself since the lab people had to accommodate for them idk. I'm glad I don't work for the lab people.

My sister is moving from one apartment to another with a friend. So I temporarily own a 50'' TV now. She should get it back in January when she might move to Hawaii with said friend.

I have toe problems!!! D: I have "surgery" in the morning to remove this tissue that is around my nail. I've had this fungus problem since last year and decided to put tea tree oil on it a few months ago. The toe started growing again but I guess it's doing it wrong since the there's another nail growing underneath. Guess that caused the tissue to come up.

IIIII think that's it. *takes deep breath*

Huzzah for class taking! I hope you get high marks!

It's always fun when they inconvenience you so they can work on difficult people. I have been working way too many hours lately because a couple of my coworkers do jack all and so I have to pick up their backlog... Didn't even get to travel and disappear this summer for company collaboration time...

Just never mention it to her. If you are lucky, she might forget that you have her TV.

Sounds like a terrible case of ingrown toenails that is really screwy. I'd say either chop back your toenail and see whats up, or go to your family doctor since they might have to remove a nail.

And I also see that you are breathing. A very good thing to do!

COOL! A 50 inch television I would totally hook up an Xbox or PS3 or Laptop to that. Sorry bout your nail but, congratulations on being an attorney that's pretty fricken sweet. I've always dreamed of going to college was it fun? Do they have lot's of parties like in the movie's? Man in another life I would have gone to college if I had gotten better grades and paid attention more when I was in school. Oh well, you reap what you sew I suppose so that's one adventure I will never take but, seriously dude congratulations and good luck with your surgery.

Edited by LTJG RIO