How often are you disappointed with the ending of an anime?

TheLostFool

How often are you disappointed with the ending of an anime?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. How often are you disappointed with the ending of an anime?

Even though Zero No Tsukaima hasn't ended yet, at least I don't think it has, each season's endings have been getting worse so I've predicted that the final season's ending will be disappointing.

Also I was a bit disappointed with Clannad After Story's ending

because, even though when episode 21 ended I wanted a happy ending, when it ended in that happy ending I thought it would have been more powerful if it had ended sad.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Ranma 1/2 I wouldn't say disappointed but I would've loved to see the show end the same way the manga did.

Tenjou Tenge however had me going "wtf that's it?"

Dude, I am with you on that one. The actual ending of Ranma is the 2 Akane's episode. That was pretty good. Tenjou Tenge pissed me off because it just ended. No explaination the fight, it just ended. I thought Rumbling Hearts was pretty good. Yu Yu Hakasho was awesome. I hadn't finished burst angel yet, and I am watching Rin: Daughter Of Mnyemsone right now.

Mayo Chiki didn't really have an ending, just left everything hanging, like hoping for a 2nd season. Hate that. No sign if there will be another season or even an OAV.

Princess Lover TV episodes ended OK, then the hentai OVA episodes kinda messed with the story line, I thought. I always rooted for the cute princess in the story. On their own, the OVA 1/2 was cool.

Sekirei Pure Engagement at least strongly hinted at a 3rd season, though it hasn't happened yet. Love that show!

Usagi Drop was more or less satisfying ending, the anime was so cute and sweet it made me cry a few times for the tiny little girl. Ending was OK.

Those were the good ones, but there have been plenty of others I thought the endings really sucked. I gotta agree with Tsukasa112, though, mostly I am disappointed that the anime is ending - I want more!

I've been finding a lot of anime here lately that are favoring the "bittersweet ok ending." This ending usually involves the main characters dying, splitting up, moving far apart, or having something really awful happen right at the end. Also it sometimes includes the cliffhanger ending. People are also trying to jump onto the "George Lucas: Star Wars" timeline bandwagon, wanting to start a series with season 1 in the middle of the story, getting to the end, then trying to go back to prequels. And they usually mess it up, don't finish them, or as most are really annoying starting to do, leave it with a cliffhanger and a note saying "to know the ending go read to the manga!" All in all I guess having the viewer go read the manga sounds great and all, I usually search for the mangas after seeing a great series to see what changes were done and if the story is better, worse, or continues.

Take Negima for example. You start off with the manga coming out, decide to put it into an anime and start the anime off with just about the same stuff going on in the manga. Then you get midway through the series and run out of manga, so as not to wait on the manga artist to finish you take it upon yourself to come up with some storyline that will involve the characters and branch from the idea you already have in motion. They break away from the manga after the school trip and start in on this whole Asuna has a pact with the devil due to her magic nullification power and Nagi seals himself away with a demon who has the same power when the demon has a sword through Nagi's gut. They end with Asuna living when they beat the devil and use a device Ling Chao has made to pull the contract off of her, and never even wrap up anything with Nagi or what even happens with Negi and Eva. Then you finally get a remake in Negima!? Magister Negi Magi that throws in the 3 card system for the partners, kinda dumb at times but funny, the story starts the same and then goes through this Star Crystal business as the main plotline, gets Anya involved more but doesn't get to the point of her involvement like the manga does, as well as adds in the 2 magic school official characters who in the middle turn Negi into a Chupacabbra for 1 episode. Both are wonderful animes on their own but both end up feeling half empty when you get to the ends.

There are more points I could make, and since I didn't have too much time I didn't read through every post on this one so far, so I'm sure someone else has made comments like I've made. People still want the happily ever after endings in animes like the old ones. Sure blood and guts everywhere in some hack and slash animes are good but we still want the hero to come out alive and get the girl in the end. Having animes where most of the main cast dies kinda makes you depressed and not want to see it again or watch sequels cause who knows where the story can go if the writer kills off most of the main cast. I remember Gundam 00 season 1's ending, I thought it was really great, then the happy go lucky girl and the shy guy both die just as they confess feelings for each other, they were side characters without many lines but it still was a big downer to see them die like that. After that when season 2 was launching I had reservations about even continuing the series but thankfully I did just cause I'm the type that can't leave something unfinished too long.

Well my rambling is going on long enough, I'm sick and it's past 1 am here so I think I might turn in after looking on the list to see if an anime I'm looking for is here.

Kekkaishi was awesome.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, now THAT was a fuck you ending series.

I was warned that it was a depressing anime but when I watched it I was impressed by its slow burning atmosphere.

But it had so many possibilities that were never explored like the main kid and father either repairing or destroying their relationship etc

Once episode 25 and 26 hit I didn't bother once I realised they were trying to give the viewers epileptic fits and bludgeon us to death with psychoanalysis.

Tell a goddamn story!

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

I think they way Death Note ended was alright tbh. There are quite a few people like Light walking the streets right now who've got the wrong idea of justice.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

I recently saw this anime called Rumbling Hearts and it ended pretty good. When the Japanese do romance well they do it WELL.

Some disappointing endings for me were like Darker than black season 2 and Pandora Hearts. Darker than black season 2, last few episodes were so rushed and the ending seemed incomplete to me no matter which way I looked at it.. Kinda sad because I really liked Season 1. Pandora Hearts.. Push everything into the last episode! Oh wait it still doesnt make much sense.. oh well! =/

immediately after seeing the ending of an anime i tend to be a bit disappointed even if the ending is good b/c i didn't want it to end! (if it's a good series, that is). but then as time goes on im not disappointed.

but i just finished Nana and im not only disappointed but also confused! it just suddenly ended 5 years in the future but the dark nana wasn't even there and you're left wondering what happened to the bands, to hachiko and takumi, why did misato have a fake name and so many more quesitons! why did it end like that? did they plan on making more of the show? should I read the manga? i haven't read much manga before but this makes me want to if it answers some questions.

If it's an anime I've come to love, then it definitely makes me sad when it ends.

But I must agree that sudden endings [when the manga is not complete] that leave you hanging and wishing for more is really disappointing. Well, I guess you can always hope for a second series!!

There's been very little anime endings that haven't disappointed me completely. While watching a series, I always get an idea of how the story should end, what should happen to wrap everything up and not leave the story incomplete or open (especially if it's not getting more seasons). And normally it doesn't end that way. I don't know if I just haven't been watching the right anime or what, but it always seems to end abruptly or on a note that doesn't really close the story and leaves much to be desired.

Up until The Final Act was announced for InuYasha, the ending of episode 167 of the original series, and I'm sure, as thousands of InuYasha fans have stated on many different occasions, just how disappointing it was for it to end that way. Talk about a completely random cliffhanger; the story is just moving right along with new developments occurring every episode like the appearance of Moryomaru and Naraku giving the fuyoheki to the Infant to hide his heart, and then suddenly, bam! It's over "We'll hunt down Naraku to the ends of the earth!" Bullshit.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Well, given the number of chapters the manga had, there really wasn't any canon material let to animate. Ohba saw fit for Light to lose to Near in the Yellow Box warehouse and as a result end the reign of Kira; therefore, the story couldn't progress any further. I for one was extremely disappointed in the anime's ending, mainly because they attempted to make it look as though Light had finally begun to regret all that he had done and died peacefully as himself again instead of Mikami abandoning him and him begging Ryuk not to kill him until his last breath. I mean, seriously, does anyone honestly think that a man who's been responsible for murdering tens of thousands of criminals would almost completely do away with the sadism and insanity that's taken over his mind and run away from the place of his defeat? Seriously, what a terrible ending.

• 4 months later...

Rarely. I'm very careful about what I pick. I also tend to find questions/answers about a series like "is it worth watching" to see how many people were disappointed vs who praises it and why... it's relatively easy not to be spoiled with this method... at least, so far for me.

Well, I have chosen "Often", but now when I try to search in my anime archive for ones that I disliked the ending, I can't seem to find many. Either I have deleted them, either I was wrong in choosing:

Berserk (no proper ending), Darker Than Black 2 (can't remember now what I disliked about it), Neon Genesis Evangelion (crappiest ending ever), Gurren Lagann (hoped for more happy one), Gantz (couldn't understand how it really ended; did he died or what), Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Movie (lame ending, can't say more) and so on,... I think. Anyway, my main disappointment stands then, when there are no proper ending. It can be sad, happy or whatever, but it must be completed, without any question marks, like who? why? what's next? and so on.

Actually I am rarely disappointed, because let's face it, anime endings are kinda weird most of the time, about Requiem for the Phantom:

I think is still a very good ending, even though he gets kill really easily, they could find Eren's memories and he fulfilled his promise

Some people hate how Death Note ends, but I think it had to happen sooner or later, otherwise, the whole series would've been really messed up as "he" was getting really insane.

Pretty much every other anime was ok except Soul Eater which was crap and my more recently finished one, Evangelion, I think both endings were pretty shitty, each one its own unique way, but shitty after all, at least in my opinion…