How often are you disappointed with the ending of an anime?

TheLostFool

How often are you disappointed with the ending of an anime?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. How often are you disappointed with the ending of an anime?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of animes that have boring or typical endings, or endings that really don't finish tying up loose ends... Or, it's just a bad ending and the animators could've come up with something better.

There are exceptional cases though, such as in Elfen Lied, where the ending hinted at a continuation but there never was. However the manga continued past the ending point, so it wasn't a bad/loose end per se.

Spice & Wolf had seasonal endings that were really great to watch that hinted towards further seasons, I have yet to see the next season be released, unfortunately.

• 3 months later...

I'm rarely disappointed. About the only times I wasn't happy with an ending was when it wasn't the ending given in the original source (usually manga), or an ending that felt incomplete (which is usually because it didn't end like the original source, due to the original source not being finished). So in the end it all boils down to incomplete/unsatisfied anime-original endings that I end up disappointed about.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

It's certainly unfortunate when a studio ends up deviating from the source material (usually manga), and the story as well as the ending just gets completely mangled, (ie. soul eater, claymore) I agree though, that at times, there isn't anything the studio can do as the manga isn't finished yet.  Or the rare cases, where the studio ran out of money like with GAINAX and Evangelion.

With that said, there are some animes where I'm satisfied with the endings, like Deadman Wonderland or more recently, BTOOOM. Just cause they just end off nicely, still following the storyline of the manga closely, all the while leaving room for another season. If all studios did that, I'd be happy.

For newer series, based on manga, there's this sense of disappointment because there's no real resolution to the story. This is understandable as these series inevitably outpace their source material and as a result get picked up for a finite episode count  (e.g. 13-26 episodes).

• 2 weeks later...