Best antivirus software for PC?

DEATHxxx50bmg

I've used Norton and McAfee in the past and not only were they rough to deal with (tons of false-positives) but also expensive and missed REAL trojans to boot...

Kaspersky is prob the best pay AV software imo, but i have been fine with the free alternatives for years, even though torrenting and DDL of PC games.

Im using Malware-Bytes and Microsoft Security Essentials and occasionally i run spybot S&D, about every month or so, for good measure and have been solid for 2 years now. :greedy:

I use Norton Internet Security and after some calculations, on average it uses about 1/4 of 1% of my system memory. When running a system scan that goes up to 2% of memory and about 3% processor usage. Don't compare though, as I'm using high end components, so for mainstream, you're looking at 3-5% on average, which is pretty good. It never interrupts, it's pretty easy to use. I changed from Kaspersky Internet Security which is also pretty good.

for me i back-up my pc frequently so i never use any antivir~ coz i think my pc performance drop down when used it.

But when it comes to what antivir best 4 pc i suggest Norton Antivirus coz get good exp with it. My old lappy never get to be formatted for 5 years till now~ doing greatly just update the antivir frequently...^^v

i use a free solution ~ no antivir (but i prefer Norton antivir)

for me rather than depend on antivir we can find other way to ensure our pc safety

study the registry(regedit 4 win)

make a backup

know about the malicious software~useful when attacked

and many more ways hope anyone also can share ^^ i gladly want to learn from all of u...

I've been under the trust of ESET Smart Security for 6 years now and never had a problem with any one of the multiple PCs at home, ever!

ESET Smart Security boasts antivirus/antispywarem, personal firewall, and an antispam module.

Of course it isn't freeware like AVG, McAfee and others but I personally wouldn't trust anything else.

Prior to that I used Norton and lost precious data from virus detection failure (napster music/videos or anything downloaded from P2P programs if you guys remember those days).

From reading this thread so far it seems Norton is averaging mixed reviews these days.

I know Kaspersky gets props so I would recommend that as well even though I've never tried it myself.

Microsoft security essentials seems to be getting lots of props on this thread too.

Alternatively:-

The Best Antivirus for 2012 - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

Funny thing about this list is it does not include nod's ESET antivirus :byebye:

P.S. If you know how to work torrents, ESET Smart Security can be free for you too :dhh:

From that other antivirus thread by me

I've been under the trust of ESET Smart Security for 6 years now and never had a problem with any one of the multiple PCs at home, ever!

ESET Smart Security boasts antivirus/antispywarem, personal firewall, and an antispam module.

Of course it isn't freeware like AVG, McAfee and others but I personally wouldn't trust anything else.

Prior to that I used Norton and lost precious data from virus detection failure (napster music/videos or anything downloaded from P2P programs if you guys remember those days).

From reading this thread so far it seems Norton is averaging mixed reviews these days.

I know Kaspersky gets props so I would recommend that as well even though I've never tried it myself.

Microsoft security essentials seems to be getting lots of props on this thread too.

:byebye:

My bro says no antivirus is perfect, be it Kaspersky, McAfee or Norton. He's seen many cases where PC is attacked even with Antivirus protection installed

btw my bro doesn't have any antivirus installed, hes only got COMODO firewall and hes been using his Windows XP computer this way for 5 yrs without any virus attack.

btw my bro doesn't have any antivirus installed, hes only got COMODO firewall and hes been using his Windows XP computer this way for 5 yrs without any virus attack.

That's easy to do if you have the right browser plug-in's installed or just visit safe sites.

Ad-Block alone prevents 90% of infections.

My bro says no antivirus is perfect, be it Kaspersky, McAfee or Norton. He's seen many cases where PC is attacked even with Antivirus protection installed.

True. Though the three mentioned are terrible protection anyways. McAfee has been known to be one of the biggest distributors of viruses about a decade ago. They did so to help pave the way to a day where everyone will have to have protection running and thus make them bucks. Norton was once good, but now it does nothing but hog your resources badly. Kaspersky is the best of those three but that's not saying much. It'll miss a lot.

The truth is, protection is only as good as it's last update, but how do they update you ask? First someone has to get infected with the new virus and then it gets reported and they work out a way to detect and remove the threat. Meaning new viruses will always find a way in past protection until your protection has been updated for that virus. Protection can only help against those already discovered.

Your best option is to have Ad-Block installed on your browser and use something like FireFox which will give you a report if a site has been reported for bad behavior so you can be notified the site isn't safe before actually viewing it. Of course this won't stop them completely as Ad-Block won't block those not considered part of an advert and not all bad sites have been reported so that other won't help either.. but in combination with a decent protection it'll make your chances of getting infected a lot smaller. The best option though is to just never view a site you think may not be safe.

If you do find yourself infected, I'd say run Hitman PRO after you've ran your regular protection just to ensure your system is completely cleaned.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever said Eset was the best, I agree with you. Been switching between Kaspersky and Eset for the past 6+ years now. They are both excellent anti virus suites, but Eset would have to win, since last time I used Kaspersky (last year) it made my computer a lot slower and the updates are long. Eset is way more lightweight and uses way lesser RAM. I have used Norton and Mcafee, they are both terrible. Never use it again after getting infected with crap loads of trojans and my computer hijacked from surfing the web. Not to mention they are slow and use way too much RAM.