Scariest Game

Maverick

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Silent Hill games. Though, I reckon Silent Hill Shattered Memories is the most terrifying, simply because you can't kill any of the monsters in the otherworld, and you can't hide from them for very long. The second everything starts freezing over, I can't help but panic and run around aimlessly trying to get to where I need to go to next while avoiding those monsters. :o Oh, and the psychological profiling thing it does makes it all the more creepy!

At the moment, the scariest game I've ever played is "Amnesia: The Dark Descent".

Some people may like to brag about how horrifying the Silent Hill and Resident Evil series are but honestly, after 3 or 4 games, you realize that the Umbrella Corporation is evil, that zombies die after shooting them in the head and that little Japanese girls are not be fucked around with.

Amnesia, on the other hand throws you into the game with basically no tutorial. Yep, you have to figure out everything yourself. Oh, and did I mention there's no combat in the game? Being true to the survival horror genre, you can't just pick up a gun and shoot away at the ghosts and ghouls.

Nope, all you can do in the game is run and hide while escaping from the unknown monster after you and bigger than that - your own psyche.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - I dare you.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t think anything will ever top the Silent Hill series. Resident Evil can provide some cheap thrills and more constant action, but it can’t compare to the psychological-WTF craziness of Silent Hill. Although in my case I’d never consider any game scary in the sense that I could lose sleep over it or start to fear shadows or such nonsense, but I do like when a game (or scary movie) can make me jump. Silent Hill managed to do that the best, and I enhance the possibility as much as possible by only playing at night when no one else is home, the room is pitch-black and I’ve got the surround sound pumping. Love it.