Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: Over-rated?

RazorDan

Is FMAB over-rated?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Is FMAB over-rated?

• Yes, its not all that
    • No, its epic!
    • Just a bit

Compared to the first Anime version or FMA I perfered the FMA:Brotherhood more than the older anime.

The storyline in Brotherhood was more thought out and kept me interested alot more than the previous anime,the ending imo was ALOT better I didn't like the ending in the Old FMA/FMA:CoS Movie.

so I enjoyed the series like 100% more than the last.

so imo I loved the Brotherhood series alot more than I did the other. so I chose #2 Epic =P

I haven't watched it yet but I here it's quite the epic anime, can someone give me a quick summary/rundown of what it's all about and whether it's worth downloading/watching.

Summary: Young gifted alchemists, Edward and Alphonse Elric (both brothers), attempt to "resurrect" their dead mother by using forbidden alchemy: human transmutation. However, their plan goes horribly wrong as Ed loses a leg and Al's soul is ripped from his body. In his last attempt to save his brother, Ed loses an arm in order to bond Al's soul to a suit of armor. The story basically follows the two brothers (and Ed’s interaction with the State as a certified State Alchemist) as they search for the powerful Philosopher’s Stone to use to restore their bodies. Enemies and allies are made along the way as both Ed and Al realize that the Philosopher’s Stone is just a stepping stone to the plan intended for the country of Amestris.

Hope that helps. I suggest you download a decent amount of it and then decide for yourself. But I highly recommend it!

Last time I checked, it was ranked 1st by MAL.
A suggestion, don't go with MAL rating. Their rating system is pretty lame, if you ask me. Well, back to FMAB, I really liked that series. Although, it's true that it had really fucked-up pace in the start but as the episodes passed by, it attained a decent flow. In my opinion, the makers made the show keeping in mind that people have already watched the original series because it was the fans' constant blabbering that made this series to be re-adapted once the manga finished, iirc. Plus, there was also the problem of overwhelmingly indecent gags in between the episodes, but I guess since they were already included in the manga, the series wasn't only at fault. There was also a lack of character development among not-so-famous-characters like Greed (previous one) and Alex Armstrong. If you are to keep those aside, then in my opinion, you'd find that FMAB is actually better than FMA.

I'm only in the process of watching FMA:B, but I'm liking it more than the first series. The government makes more sense and some characters, especially Mustang and Armstrong, have an altogether different feeling. Watching the first series is so different, and the characters seem almost fake after watching two or three episodes of FMA:B.

• 3 weeks later...

I voted epic, mainly because after watching both series I think that brotherhood explained a lot more in much better ways. Also the fights were much more enjoyable, and man that ending that won't be mentioned by me. Overall, it was a much better rendition of the story than the original anime, and worth a look if someone is trying to choose between the two versions.

Just finished it, and wow brotherhood is much better than the original. The ending alone is perfect.

If I had to pick one work to describe it, it wouldn't be over-rated, it would be EPIC!

EPICALLY OVERRATED! lol.

What is you you actually liked about it over the original? Just asking... don't take it the wrong way. Everyone else who's said they prefer Brotherhood over the original I asked this question to as well and not a single person has come up with any decent reason other than simply saying something like because they said so.

The bad placement of comedy that ruined all drama, the flatness feeling of all the characters, the overly fast pace that left no time for any sort of character development, the utterly cliche shonen-style story, the complete dues-ex-machina of one-up-manship for the ending.... ?

I mean... for me who has seen over 530 series... there was nothing original or great about Brotherhood. While the original was excellent in pretty much every shape and form. If I hadn't saw the original one first I would have been left out of Brotherhood as it was made assuming everyone saw the original, and therefore if you didn't there was stuff you wouldn't grasp... and pretty much everyone I know who started Brotherhood without seeing the original ended up dropping the show. Seriously.. Brotherhood took what made the original good and tossed it to the side to simply 'follow the manga'. Well apparently the manga sucked and lacked depth, emotion, and originality.

• 6 months later...

Nope, Brotherhood ain't overrated at all. I saw both the original and the Brotherhood series and both of them are good. But FMAB is in a whole different level. When I saw the original I really felt bored and thought "there's nothing extraordinary here, this is just the type of anime we stumble over". But the Brotherhood series was way better. Many say that the Brotherhood series rushed their opening compared to the original but I say that the opening of FMAB was fine and the original's opening was super slow. It was like looking at an anime with a thousand fillers all concentrated in 50 episodes. So I really think that Brotherhood was epic and that it is not overrated.