Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: Over-rated?

RazorDan

Is FMAB over-rated?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Is FMAB over-rated?

• Yes, its not all that
    • No, its epic!
    • Just a bit

I have not yet finished the FMA brothhood series yet, in the process of obtaining all the episodes. I have however seen the whole series of the original anime and about half of the brotherhood one. The quality of the art done seems to be a little better with brotherhood, as well as the flow of the story line. I heard that it follows the manga more closely, but I have not read the manga.

Brotherhood certainly did have a better story but didn't anyone have a problem with the fact that The Promised Day dragged on for an entire 15 episodes? LOL

that's not strange in anime at all. and it wasn't "dragged". they took the time required to tie up all the loose ends, something which is very rare in anime.

I think it was pretty good but we gotta remember that it's a shounen so the audience age group is obviously lower than let's say.. Ghost in the Shell and while they might not be as analytic as they will probably be when they get older and once again, it's a shounen - and to be a shounen it's quite good, not that I look down on shounen but it will never have the same depth as seinen shows.

that's not strange in anime at all. and it wasn't "dragged". they took the time required to tie up all the loose ends, something which is very rare in anime.

I agree. Tying up loose ends is rare but they could've done it in a more concise fashion. FMAB is certainly one of the best anime I have seen but it did get a little boring in amongst those final 15 episodes. The length just made it seem not as epic as it should've been.

I agree. Tying up loose ends is rare but they could've done it in a more concise fashion. FMAB is certainly one of the best anime I have seen but it did get a little boring in amongst those final 15 episodes. The length just made it seem not as epic as it should've been.

I agree. Me believing the series was heading towards it's climax I ended up just being a bit disappointed. Earlier acts of the series were a lot more entertaining in every way possible. I think they wanted the last part of the series epic and they tried doing one of those "It's not over YET..." and once again we believe we are heading towards an ending of that event but NO... "It's not over YET..." happens again and I'm not talking about it in a shounen way but in a seinen way actually, cause I clearly see they wanted that seinen feeling about building up the heat, if you catch my drift but it didn't really end up as it could be (Monster as an example of that feeling of things not reaching an end just yet) so instead we ended up with something being a bit too long.

I agree. Me believing the series was heading towards it's climax I ended up just being a bit disappointed. Earlier acts of the series were a lot more entertaining in every way possible. I think they wanted the last part of the series epic and they tried doing one of those "It's not over YET..." and once again we believe we are heading towards an ending of that event but NO... "It's not over YET..." happens again and I'm not talking about it in a shounen way but in a seinen way actually, cause I clearly see they wanted that seinen feeling about building up the heat, if you catch my drift but it didn't really end up as it could be (Monster as an example of that feeling of things not reaching an end just yet) so instead we ended up with something being a bit too long.

Yes I totally understand what you mean. It was like building up to a climax but never really reaching the peak. Having not read the manga at the time, I was expecting a crazy climax and epic ending to the series after all the hype it received and ended up a little disappointed too.

I have a couple of friends who will absolutely run this argument into the ground if you buy them enough beer. One says FMA and the other says FMAB. I haven't finished either yet because I get depressed. But from what I can tell it boils down to how you feel about the ending. I think the FMAB fans were so upset with how FMA ended that they look past it's shortcomings.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think its too overrated. FMA was the series that really got me into anime, and it was easily my favorite for quite a while. Then when I heard about FMAB and how it would stay more true to the manga, I had to watch it. I am currently on episode 52 and I have to say that I like Brotherhood a lot more than the original.

I like it. It might not be the best anime you ever see, but it's definitely worth the watch. The first FMA series does follow the manga to about the halfway point and I prefer some of those episodes when compared to the first 14 or 15 episodes of FMAB that tell the same stories but with less emphasis on the details. Long story short, it's good to watch both.

• 4 months later...
The story is certainly better in Brotherhood, but the characters are not.

Brotherhood lacks depth and emotion-- both of which the original had.

Really? I found Brotherhood to have even more depth and emotion than the original. There were some times that the original did a better job (such as the Al’s soul being bonded to the armor along with the scene where the chimera’s identity is uncovered), but that’s partly due to Brotherhood doing a more rushed job on “reviewing” those scenes that had been shown once.

The original was well done. FMAB was just EVEN better. It may be more rushed, but a story that follows the author’s true intent is pretty hard to beat with an anime-only interpretation. I don’t find Brotherhood overrated at all. It’s original and refreshing. A good length for the story being told. And contains a fantastic ensemble of characters. One of the most amazing anime out there.

Really? I found Brotherhood to have even more depth and emotion than the original. There were some times that the original did a better job (such as the Al’s soul being bonded to the armor along with the scene where the chimera’s identity is uncovered), but that’s partly due to Brotherhood doing a more rushed job on “reviewing” those scenes that had been shown once.

The original was well done. FMAB was just EVEN better. It may be more rushed, but a story that follows the author’s true intent is pretty hard to beat with an anime-only interpretation. I don’t find Brotherhood overrated at all. It’s original and refreshing. A good length for the story being told. And contains a fantastic ensemble of characters. One of the most amazing anime out there.

Every time Brotherhood got even close to having any sort of emotion and not seeming flat some mis-placed comedy would come in and swoop it away. To me FMA had happy moments, funny moments, sad moments, and a lot of drama... While FMAB fell hopelessly dry and flat. Had it not been for seeing FMA first I would have likely dropped FMAB. I gave FMA a 10/10 but FMAB only an 8/10 and two of those points were given simply because I enjoyed the original.. otherwise it would have been a 6/10 for me which is the level where I usually drop the show.

FMA had a unique story.. FMAB was just cliched shounen material in the end. It ended like a copy of DBZ one-up-manship.

Every time Brotherhood got even close to having any sort of emotion and not seeming flat some mis-placed comedy would come in and swoop it away. To me FMA had happy moments, funny moments, sad moments, and a lot of drama... While FMAB fell hopelessly dry and flat. Had it not been for seeing FMA first I would have likely dropped FMAB. I gave FMA a 10/10 but FMAB only an 8/10 and two of those points were given simply because I enjoyed the original.. otherwise it would have been a 6/10 for me which is the level where I usually drop the show.

FMA had a unique story.. FMAB was just cliched shounen material in the end. It ended like a copy of DBZ one-up-manship.

When you say FMA had a unique story, do you mean it had a unique way of telling the story as opposed to FMAB? Or do you mean part II of the original added to FMA's uniqueness? Because FMAB was really only a continuation of FMA's unique story. I do agree that FMA was certainly original and that it did a slightly better job in the comedy area and supplied more happier moments...but FMAB fell dry and flat for you? That's disappointing. We apparently just have completely different experiences with Brotherhood.

Although, I'd have to disagree with the person above who said Brotherhood is better than the original in every single way. Most agree that's it's better...but there are few things that the original accomplished that FMAB didn't. We can't completely write off FMA. It is Brotherhood's predecessor, the original, and a damn good one at that.

I think it's one of the best out there. It fleshed out the original in many ways. BUT, there are times that I miss a certain 'Gleam' that the original had, a certain vividness to the colours in certain scenes. Also, while brotherhood on the whole has superior animation, there was the odd wtf? moment with certain elements like Ed's face being a little too round when he was a kid, or the odd scene that just seemed to slip in quality unexpectedly. I also found certain elements of the story slightly odd at times, though they did tend to fall into place in the end. On the whole, no, it's not overrated, but I feel it stole away from the odd thing I loved about the original. Still, maybe I'm being overly critical.