RazorDan

Is Death Note overrated?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Is Death Note overrated?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ending makes the entire thing basically a waste. Was good until the ending. And it was SUCH a horrible ending, total bs just

to have the good guys win, wasn't even smart or clever.

Honestly I feel 100% completely the opposite. The ending made it all worth it to see that punk Light finally get what was coming to him.

Honestly I feel 100% completely the opposite. The ending made it all worth it to see that punk Light finally get what was coming to him.

I don't mind that he lost, just how he lost was completely retarded.

I mean the guy he picked was super freaking careful, not one to make an easily stupid mistake like that. if they have done it in a clever way i'd be fine with it. But the way it all went down was complete BS imo

First off, as I've said before, never rely on MAL's rating. Their rating system usually sucks. And, Death Note can never be over-rated for me. It was an excellent series and still retains in my top 5 animes. It was a great adaptation to a great manga; it had awesome plot; it had awesome visuals; it had great soundtrack along with OPs and EDs; it had great characters; it had great ending. What more do you ask for? Enjoyment? HA, I enjoyed it so much that I still retain the memory of every damn thing that happened in it.

Maybe people don't like it because it doesn't suit their so called tastes, or maybe because their ideals don't match the series; but they completely deny that DN has shown both the ideals – Kira's evil ones and L's divine ones – yet people don't like it because of the darkness it's theme is based upon. And those who say the ending sucked; HA! It's not the series that sucked men, it's YOU! It was one of the most noble ending I've ever seen. Sure, I agree that the yotsuba arc wasn't as awesome as the other ones but that alone can't drop the awesomeness this series offered. All in all, it's not overrated.

For me I really liked the thought provoking approach the anime made within the character interactions. Nothing was done in the usual strait forward manner anime is known for. On the other hand I don't like emo animes. For me it was 75% like and 25% dislike so I voted sort of.

chill xNoName, I do have to agree I liked the ending simply due to the fact it wasn't the same as most. Just don't forget that without critics the word mediocre would be the only standard.

And those who say the ending sucked; HA! It's not the series that sucked men, it's YOU! It was one of the most noble ending I've ever seen. Sure, I agree that the yotsuba arc wasn't as awesome as the other ones but that alone can't drop the awesomeness this series offered. All in all, it's not underrated.

Apparently you don't know how to read, or perhaps your reading comprehension isn't too high. if you bothered to read and understand what I wrote before saying I suck you'd see that I said I wouldn't have minded the ending as long as it made sense, though as i stated it was done in a VERY POOR way. I said it sucked because how it happened did not in the least match up with the characters. It was a forced 'good' ending!

If the ending actually made sense with the characters, Mikami wouldn't have made such a obviously and stupid mistake. Seeing as part of the reason he was picked was because he was so cautious. If light was going to lose then they could have done so in a much better way other then basically being like "oh yeah Mikami who is always super careful and meticulous just so happened to be so stupid and careless enough to leave the death note in his locker while he is working out." Cause that makes sense right? for someone so smart and meticulous? Totally fits the story and characters? That the ending of the series was all because the death note was in that freaking locker? Thats total BS! For being so awesome the entire series to have such a DULL, WITLESS ending?!?! Without a doubt the ending SUCKED! And again I can't stress this enough I didn't care which side won so long as it was as done in a clever way and matched how the series was since the beginning. WHICH IT WAS NOT!

Apparently you don't know how to read, or perhaps your reading comprehension isn't too high. if you bothered to read and understand what I wrote before saying I suck you'd see that I said I wouldn't have minded the ending as long as it made sense, though as i stated it was done in a VERY POOR way. I said it sucked because how it happened did not in the least match up with the characters. It was a forced 'good' ending!

If the ending actually made sense with the characters, Mikami wouldn't have made such a obviously and stupid mistake. Seeing as part of the reason he was picked was because he was so cautious. If light was going to lose then they could have done so in a much better way other then basically being like "oh yeah Mikami who is always super careful and meticulous just so happened to be so stupid and careless enough to leave the death note in his locker while he is working out." Cause that makes sense right? for someone so smart and meticulous? Totally fits the story and characters? That the ending of the series was all because the death note was in that freaking locker? Thats total BS! For being so awesome the entire series to have such a DULL, WITLESS ending?!?! Without a doubt the ending SUCKED! And again I can't stress this enough I didn't care which side won so long as it was as done in a clever way and matched how the series was since the beginning. WHICH IT WAS NOT!

HUH?! I was never pointing my post to you, man. I didn't even see your post, let alone read it. I was just basing my opinion on the condition when people say that DN's ending sucked.

Huh.. did you actually watch the ending? It was nothing as you described.

His mistake wasn't leaving it in his gym locker when he worked out. In fact he wasn't even suppose to have it. He hid it in a safety deposit box and left the girl with a sheet from the Death Note and it was her job to write the names and he was using a fake one. His mistake is he broke from the plan and wrote the girls name down because he thought she was going to be the lose end. He went and got the Death Note to do so and wrote her name and put it back. However by doing so he lead the authorities straight to it and thus they tampered with it.

So as you see it was not out of his character to do what he did at all. It fit exactly into his character. Only it didn't fit with Light's plan and Light had already done it.. so it was an error on Mikami's part.

It is overrated. Terribly so. I don't think it's bad or anything, but it has minimal rewatchability due to the suspense being its highlighting point. I can't feel suspense if I already know what will occur. Although rewatching it wouldn't make me nitpick it or think less of what I first thought of it. Anyone who would on a second rewatch is a turd.

I think what I liked most about Death Note was how it delved into the darker side of the human mind. The most intriguing thing for me was to see someone like Light, who initially just wanted to make the world a better place, devolve into a power-obsessed madman. That said, I think I preferred the manga to the anime simply because the anime was, at times, so dramatized that it just came across as comical. The potato chip scene and the last episode in particular struck me that way.

• 2 weeks later...
if an anime has that much hype then it then it does deserve to be watched.>> only a retard would hype up something that is crap....no disrespect to anyone.

Look at Bleach. One of the most 'hyped' about Anime. Reason? It's not because it's something great, it's because it's had the publicity to gather a ton of watchers to become a huge hit. While it's probably the current most watched show each week of any other series, and has more fans than others, it also has the most amount of haters of any show I've seen. It's got both hype and hate and it isn't because it's bad or good, but simply due to how many people have heard about it and watched it (which mostly has to do with it being one of the few anime shows that has been long running on Adult Swim for the past several years in the United States).

So no, I do not agree with your statement that if it's hyped, it's a must watch. Because it's not true. Most of the hype comes from n00b anime fans whose only seen less than 50 shows and thinks every new show they see tops the last one they seen.. or thinks Bleach is the greatest thing ever.

Overrated? No. It’s incredible. Even though I found the period after L's death to be a decrease in the storyline’s previous greatness (until the ending that is), the entire series remains incredible. And that tense rivalry between Light and L is one of the best anime rivalries to date.

It is overrated. Terribly so. I don't think it's bad or anything, but it has minimal rewatchability due to the suspense being its highlighting point. I can't feel suspense if I already know what will occur. Although rewatching it wouldn't make me nitpick it or think less of what I first thought of it. Anyone who would on a second rewatch is a turd.

Just because it has minimal "rewatchability" (which I might add is pure opinion) doesn't make it overrated. Bleach, Naruto, One Piece...all long drawn out and high rated anime are much easier to re-watch right away because they lack the intensity and quicker pace (minus certain battles and events) that a shorter series like Death Note has. But whether you find it re-watchable right away or not really doesn’t diminish the greatness of a series. It was just that much more epic the first time around.

Death Note, in my opinion, is a terrible series. It's Baby's first anime. It's not as dark as everyone makes it out to be, it's only popular because most of it's audience are people who are A. Just getting into anime or B. Teenagers who think they are all grimdark and cool for liking it. (Note: I said most. Not all.)

The plot is also not as "Intelligent" as everyone makes it out to be. It's boring and predictable through and through. The characters for the most part were boring. I'll give it one thing though, the premise of the series was cool. A man wanting to become God of a new world by killing criminals, but that was only ruined by the atmosphere this series tried so hard to have, only to do a half-bit job at it.

It also annoys me when people say they like Death Note because it's more "realistic" then other anime. Like, really? This is not true at all. The Music in the series was pretty decent, both OP/ED's were good, I liked them. Ryuk was a fun character.

Basically; The first half, up until L. dies - Decent Series

The Second half - Total overrated garbage

They should have just ended it where L. died, not because I like L., he's one of my least favorite anime characters to be completely honest. But I think it would have been a much better series if it had of ended there, open ended. I think it would have been much better for the series and the atmopshere and feel it was trying to create, an ending of suspense; Did he ultimately succeed or not? As opposed to all that garbage in the second half, which completely sucked.

Don't get me wrong; I liked Death Note when I was like 13, so it's not like I've never liked it or anything and am just an avid hater, just after rewatching it now I'm older, that's my views on it. I personally like to throw away all Death Note anime/manga canon and just go with the Live Action movie; I think that had the best ending for any of the Death Note media.

So yes, all in all it is overrated. Not as overrated as mainstream shounen like Naruto and One Piece, but still overrated.

Death Note, in my opinion, is a terrible series. It's Baby's first anime. It's not as dark as everyone makes it out to be, it's only popular because most of it's audience are people who are A. Just getting into anime or B. Teenagers who think they are all grimdark and cool for liking it. (Note: I said most. Not all.)

The plot is also not as "Intelligent" as everyone makes it out to be. It's boring and predictable through and through. The characters for the most part were boring. I'll give it one thing though, the premise of the series was cool. A man wanting to become God of a new world by killing criminals, but that was only ruined by the atmosphere this series tried so hard to have, only to do a half-bit job at it.

It also annoys me when people say they like Death Note because it's more "realistic" then other anime. Like, really? This is not true at all. The Music in the series was pretty decent, both OP/ED's were good, I liked them. Ryuk was a fun character.

Basically; The first half, up until L. dies - Decent Series

The Second half - Total overrated garbage

They should have just ended it where L. died, not because I like L., he's one of my least favorite anime characters to be completely honest. But I think it would have been a much better series if it had of ended there, open ended. I think it would have been much better for the series and the atmopshere and feel it was trying to create, an ending of suspense; Did he ultimately succeed or not? As opposed to all that garbage in the second half, which completely sucked.

Don't get me wrong; I liked Death Note when I was like 13, so it's not like I've never liked it or anything and am just an avid hater, just after rewatching it now I'm older, that's my views on it. I personally like to throw away all Death Note anime/manga canon and just go with the Live Action movie; I think that had the best ending for any of the Death Note media.

So yes, all in all it is overrated. Not as overrated as mainstream shounen like Naruto and One Piece, but still overrated.

Must say, its great to see such a detailed response, nice one!

When I created this poll, I voted Yes, a lot. Well, my opinion at that time was kinda bias since I was involved in a DN vs CG debate lol

However, I must say, in my opinion, it is slightly overrated. Reasons? The second half sucked, I hated the ending for tarnishing one of my favourite characters and tbh, they kinda overdone the whole 'dark' feel. I can't remember many smiles in the anime lol. Anyway, I did love the idea, I really liked Light and Ryuk and I thought the kira-L battle was pretty great. The whole twisted character of Light and the questions the anime raises means that I rate it a solid 8/10.

Reply to Tsukasa

Gotta disagree with you there on several points.

First off...its not predictable. I'm a genius (no false modesty needed, I got an IQ test when I was 9, got a score of 146) and I was unable to predict most of the plot points. For example, I never predicted L sitting down next to Light at the university opening ceremony and going "I want to tell, I'm L". I would never have been able to predict that happening because if you're opponent is a guy who can kill with a name and a face, then the obvious thing to do is not to show yourself to him.

When people say its realistic, they mean rooted in modern times with a modern look to it. Yes, the Death Note is the one fantastic piece in it that requires a suspension of disbelief. When I watch this show and say its realistic, I say that because the people in it act human. They have hopes, desires, pain, anguish. Yes, L is the poster boy for freak, but he still acts human. Another meaning for realistic is plausible. In that, the various tricks and strategies both L and Light use...are actually plausible and make sense...albeit a convoluted sense.

I do agree with you though on the music and the ending...Near was just a carbon copy of L. What's the point as a writer writing a story, to kill off one of your most important characters, only to replace him with someone just like him in almost every detail (the only difference being that L is obsessed with candy, while Near is obsessed with toys).

I did like the Live-action movie ending too myself (even though the rest of the movie was shit, especially that museum sequence, god that was just painful to watch). L writing his own name in the Death Note? Badass!

• 2 months later...

watched this one twice in the same week i finished it last year, why? I had my reasons; one being that I deleted the episodes because the quality wasn't as good as I would have liked it to be. The second being that it was only to see if the quality was any better than the other files I had. That said, I enjoyed watching it the second time just as much as the first.

If that means anything I would think its not overrated only because I think it was very well done in my honest opinion. But than again I've only watched about six anime series, one being Death Note, and as shocking as it might be finished watching Dragon Ball Z just last year as well.