DRX

MKV vs MP4  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which container do you prefer?

• MKV
    • MP4

2 hours ago, Samue1 said:

Looks like I win with my Mp4 opinion. YAY!! :D

I was expecting for you to provide a viable alternative for ASS subtitles, which as far as I can tell does not exist for MP4 container, making it unusable for me (and many others who use this subtitle format). You mentioned "Final Cut with CC", which as far as I can guess (I have no knowledge about Final Cut subtitling capabilities) is a hard-coded solution that would be in multiple ways inferior to ASS. If I am wrong about my assumptions, please correct me - I wouldn't mind having an option to choose between different media containers.

Also, lack of response might sometimes suggest that other party has simply given up on the argument. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hark0n said:

Also, lack of response might sometimes suggest that other party has simply given up on the argument. 

I ended my input when I suggested he makes his own in his preferences.

I'll stick with .mvk because I consider it to be far superior to .mp4. BTW, IMHO hard-coded subs suck with the exception of some movies where there is some minor foreign dialogue.

EDIT: I have also changed mp4 into .mkv so I can easily change the default tracks. For me on dual audio the English track should be the default.

Edited by MaxxCatt

MKV is useless. You cannot tag MKV. I've tried it with MKVMerge. So few options. With mp3tag, I can tag MP4 files.

So MP4 WINS! :bad_egg:

Try to beat that point! :baffle: Anyone wants to have a debate to disagree to my point, please do.

My answers are fully loaded.

Edited by Samue1

uhh this thread >.< I have no authority here and I'm not really that interested in the question being asked here but look, @Samue1 if you wish to debate something at least respond to the concerns raised by others in a mature manor, @Hark0n made some very valid arguments which pretty much sum up why everyone around here tends to prefer .mkv and you have yet to respond to him properly. At the very least could you stop posting petty call outs with statements like "I win" or "So MP4 WINS!" or "Try to beat that" its silly and doesn't actually contribute to the question being asked and at the end of the day you can't expect everyone to agree either way. Just please be respectful of other peoples opinions.

• Like 3

On 10/5/2017 at 4:46 PM, Samue1 said:

Why don't you guys just use ALAC.

For the ASS, I can do that in Final Cut with CC.

There is no reason for ALAC to even exist. ALAC only exists so apple can further rape your wallets. It's fucking ridiculous that itunes isn't compatible with FLAC: the standard fucking audio format of the modern day

On 10/5/2017 at 2:19 PM, Samue1 said:

The worst part about MKV is those private trackers group put their name. I had to remove and wipe CLEAN the mkv and put it in Handbrake or use ffmpeg to mux it to mp4. It's just awful with the group name.

Why on earth would you want to do that? Then you have no idea which release it is so if there's a problem with it replacing it becomes a problem since you don't even know which one you have

I'm not voting, there should be a doesn't matter option cuz it doesn't matter. All of my players play both and I have yet to have either an mp4 or mkv with audio incompatable with my player either. They both can have subs so to me it doesn't matter.

And give it up Samue1 you only like mp4 cuz your an itunes fanboy which makes absolutely no sense enjoy getting willingly ass raped by a company that has your worst interest

HUMANCENTiPAD.jpg

Edited by DabDeity710
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Ryutai said:

uhh this thread >.< I have no authority here and I'm not really that interested in the question being asked here but look, @Samue1 if you wish to debate something at least respond to the concerns raised by others in a mature manor, @Hark0n made some very valid arguments which pretty much sum up why everyone around here tends to prefer .mkv and you have yet to respond to him properly. At the very least could you stop posting petty call outs with statements like "I win" or "So MP4 WINS!" or "Try to beat that" its silly and doesn't actually contribute to the question being asked and at the end of the day you can't expect everyone to agree either way. Just please be respectful of other peoples opinions.

I do have a valid reason for liking MP4 and MP4 have lots of advantages. It's a well-known format recognizable by all players.

And why should I show some respect to MKV opinions. It's not a really good container format which is not suitable for my collection. Everyone on this site knows that I'm an iTunes Fanboy and I think now you know why I'm supporting MP4 rather than paying much attention to MKV.

I don't even focus on MKV. MKV is like a container that doesn't exist in my hard disk. I barely use MKVs. I mux them to MP4 which I think it's suitable especially the functionality for tagging that MKV lacks in but only could do that with a petty MKVMerge software. I don't think that's enough for the tagging.

Edited by Samue1

2 minutes ago, Samue1 said:

I do have a valid reason for liking MP4 and MP4 have lots of advantages. It's a well-known format recognizable by all players.

And why should I show some respect to MKV opinions. It's not a really good container format which is not suitable for my collection.

are you here for cartoons or anime (or both) ?

why should I show some respect to MKV opinions

You should respect other peoples opinions regardless in my opinion of whether you agree or not.

Elaboration/detail

Spoiler

This also speaks to the weakness of your own argument and or your maturity as an individual. This type of reasoning is generally symptomatic of those who are struggling to respond to points that others make or those who aren't even willing to consider there opinion at all even if they may be correct. If the latter is the case then I'm genuinely not sure why you even bothered to contribute to this post at all, enjoy sitting in your echo chamber where only you and your opinion can be heard.

1 hour ago, Samue1 said:

Take this to another topic please. And I'm here for Cartoons and getting my buying topics settled.

That pretty much explains things from my position, I take it most of your library consists of itunes or similar web-rips?

Elaboration/detail

Spoiler

We are here for different things entirely, I'm only really interested in anime which has different requirements mainly in the subtitle department hence me stressing the importance of what hark0n said about subtitle formats. I should also note I'm not interested in web-rips at all as they tend to be inferior to Blurays and or DVD's (albeit there are exceptions), should also note I have no desire to play or integrate anything with itunes as well it offers no advantages for me whatsoever, same goes for cover art it can be done with mkv anyway but I would most likely remove it should it be present, I have some software that builds a thumbnail cache based on the content of each video and its simple and looks clean and I have no reason to change this. Clearly your needs and preferences vastly differ from my own and hence why I asked the question in the first place. 

No I don't think you are nor would you be upsetting anyone by convincing them that .mp4 may be a better way to go. I would say you may upsetting or frustrating others but that rather speaks of your behaviour and attitude.

Elaboration/detail

Spoiler

It certainly wouldn't upset me if you changed my opinion at all although, at the moment as I said you aren't actually debating with anyone as you refuse to address Hark0n's arguments. Essentially right now you aren't very persuasive at all so you shouldn't worry about having crushed any .mkv lovers dreams. Also please stop acting like we all have some weird fetish for an .mkv container we use it because it suits our needs nothing else. Also further to my point about changing peoples opinions you would be surprised how many individuals here strive the for best quality possible and so many including myself are all ears should valid arguments be made.

In future if you wish to reply more than once before someone else comments please edit your original comment instead of double/triple posting. Its very annoying when users do this as it results in a flood of notifications for literally no reason at all.

if you reply to this in a mature manor I will respond accordingly if not I apologise but I have better things to do than play games with someone who can't discuss things maturely.

TL;DR Just make your case and respond properly to theirs and the discussion will become more productive and informative for both parties. The main reason I think we are hitting a point where we diverge is that I am here for entirely different content in terms of quality and overall functionality as are many other people in this thread.

Also a quick word of advice; irrespective of whether someone is "right" or "wrong" opening your mind to new ideas and listening to others allows you to learn and explore ideas you never would on your own, people are full of amazing facts/stories/opinions and I guess some are full of shit but listen nonetheless ^_^

Edit: you apparently said END OF DEBATE so I guess that settles that, nice one. 

Edited by Ryutai
Lots of formatting/re-phrasing
  • Like 1