MKV vs MP4

DRX

MKV vs MP4  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which container do you prefer?

• MKV
    • MP4

1 hour ago, MaxxCatt said:

You can add cover art to .mkv files. Heck, I remove the cover art most of the time. I don't like all the files of a show looking the same when I open the folder.

Most of the time the cover art is a custom showing the release group's logo.

But if it's official like iTunes, then there's no need for remove.

40 minutes ago, Samue1 said:

And I don't name files like that. I name it like how iTunes does. :)

Everyone has their preferences. I don't put the show name in front because the folder has the show name.

I label the season and ep # then the episode name.

Anyone who grabs my files can rename them anyway they like.

If it is a movie or OVA I list the show name.

If it is a running show (weekly eps) that I release then I add the show name first then ep # and ep name.

Folder names get the show name first (not my encoder tag) because it's easier to find a show by name then remember the encoder who made it.

Edited by MaxxCatt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MaxxCatt said:

Everyone has their preferences. I don't put the show name in front because the folder has the show name.

I label the season and ep # then the episode name.

Anyone who grabs my files can rename them anyway they like.

If it is a movie or OVA I list the show name.

If it is a running show (weekly eps) that I release then I add the show name first then ep # and ep name.

Folder names get the show name first (not my encoder tag) because it's easier to find a show by name then remember the encoder who made it.

The worst part about MKV is those private trackers group put their name. I had to remove and wipe CLEAN the mkv and put it in Handbrake or use ffmpeg to mux it to mp4. It's just awful with the group name.

5 minutes ago, Samue1 said:

The worst part about MKV is those private trackers group put their name. I had to remove and wipe CLEAN the mkv and put it in Handbrake or use ffmpeg to mux it to mp4. It's just awful with the group name.

Most groups put their tag in front of the file names, not just Private tracker sites. Even [SCY] [Kametsu] [LostYears] and others here on this site do the same.

I just remove the encoder tags if they are in front of the rest.

There is no need to run it through Handbrake or convert it to mp4 unless mp4 is your file preference.

If the 'offending' tags are in the header that is an easy fix also, I do it quite a bit when an encoder puts their tag in the title for segment information because it blocks the episode ID on my player (ie: all eps have the same info)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MaxxCatt said:

Most groups put their tag in front of the file names, not just Private tracker sites. Even [SCY] [Kametsu] [LostYears] and others here on this site do the same.

I just remove the encoder tags if they are in front of the rest.

There is no need to run it through Handbrake or convert it to mp4 unless mp4 is your file preference.

If the 'offending' tags are in the header that is an easy fix also, I do it quite a bit when an encoder puts their tag in the title for segment information because it blocks the episode ID on my player (ie: all eps have the same info)

Do you know anything that can completely wipe MKV encoder info or inside tags?

I know some people will be like "Why do you want to wipe them?". The file is their property which they encoded it. Property my ass. They don't own the video. They just put their freaking name or group name to look freaking great. NOT IN MY DICTIONARY YOU WON'T LOOK GREAT!!!!

Edited by Samue1

12 minutes ago, Samue1 said:

Do you know anything that can completely wipe MKV encoder info or inside tags?

I use MKVToolNIX. It has a header editor. It won't remove the encoder settings (ie: the settings the encoder actually used) but can change names, default tracks etc that a simple file name change won't cure.

EDIT: I used MKVToolNIX to add that cover in the earlier example.

Edited by MaxxCatt
  • Like 1

MP4 does not support ASS subtitles and FLAC audio, so it is not even an option for many releases. FLAC could be replaced with ALAC, but there are no alternatives for ASS.

Matroska container supports virtually any video/audio/subtitle format and if the target platform is a PC, there is no reason not to use it. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hark0n said:

MP4 does not support ASS subtitles and FLAC audio, so it is not even an option for many releases. FLAC could be replaced with ALAC, but there are no alternatives for ASS.

Matroska container supports virtually any video/audio/subtitle format and if the target platform is a PC, there is no reason not to use it. 

Why would someone even use ASS for subtitles and FLAC for audio. The audio file for the movie/show is so bloated.

I would use just AC3 for MP4. That's it.

9 minutes ago, Samue1 said:

Why would someone even use ASS for subtitles and FLAC for audio. The audio file for the movie/show is so bloated.

With .ASS files they can be stylized and you can make signs with it and position them to the proper place among other things you can't do with .srt or .sup files.

A lot of people have home theater with great sound systems so FLAC is the preferred choice when it comes to audio.

Edited by MaxxCatt
Speel'n

10 minutes ago, Samue1 said:

I agree that there are reasonable arguments for not using lossless audio (size mostly), but you have yet to provide one for not using ASS subtitle format. ASS provides styled subtitles that looks better than most text based format and takes up notably less space than comparable quality picture based ones. Only downside is limited player support, which does not affect PC.

8 minutes ago, MaxxCatt said:

With .ASS files they can be stylized and you can make signs with it and position them to the proper place among other things you can't do with .srt or .sup files.

A lot of people have home theater with great sound systems so FLAC is the preferred choice when it comes to audio.

Why don't you guys just use ALAC.

For the ASS, I can do that in Final Cut with CC.

21 minutes ago, Samue1 said:

Why don't you guys just use ALAC.

For the ASS, I can do that in Final Cut with CC.

Maybe you should start making and releasing files set up in a way that you like then?

There isn't an encoder/group out there that can appease everybody. Some complain about 10bit others about 8bit. Then there are others that moan because the files aren't xvid etc. Some complain because a file is dual audio when all they want is JP + subs the list goes on.

EDIT: I've even had people complain because I wasn't encoding files in 480p. In the end it's all personal preference or because someone has outdated hardware to playback on..

Edited by MaxxCatt

36 minutes ago, MaxxCatt said:

Maybe you should start making and releasing files set up in a way that you like then?

There isn't an encoder/group out there that can appease everybody. Some complain about 10bit others about 8bit. Then there are others that moan because the files aren't xvid etc. Some complain because a file is dual audio when all they want is JP + subs the list goes on.

EDIT: I've even had people complain because I wasn't encoding files in 480p. In the end it's all personal preference or because someone has outdated hardware to playback on..

I will soon. My encodes are similar to iTunes standard encoding. I'm sure no one has problems with that before.