Favourite Early 2000's Anime?

well up to 2007 my absolute favorites are

kara no kyoukai (film series),  baccano(dubbed oc), welcome to the NHK, claymore, onizuka  and i love them all so i couldnt name just one, i guess my top 10 would be complete with monster, gankutsuou, beck, black lagoon(dubbed oc), basilisk.

surely many would say  code geass death note gurren lagann et al. and also paprika, tgwltt, ghibli stuff from films. there are many good anime in this era

Edited by sfaxt

• 2 weeks later...

nope if you go dvd oyasumi is better, because better subs. even if its hardsubs

there are oyasumi ripped to softsubs ,but theres a huge catch and i cant recommend them.

the person who transcripted them, didnt do the signs at all.
so you d miss  a dozen of good lauighs and some context from not having signs. so the hardsub is the only real option for me.

anyway  the version here is also great imo https://kametsu.com/topic/55906-amazon-pd7-welcome-to-the-nhk-576p-dvd-10bit-x264-test-encode-up/?do=findComment&comment=561057

i ve uploaded subs for it on kitsunekko. they re a mix of exiled destiny with some corrections i did ( and  only because they have signs) and oyasumi in 5-6 eps where  exiled destiny were much worse or problematic. 
catch with this choice is that signs are out of position  a bit,  for several reasons i cant fix. they d need  major work i cant do.  its still very watchable imo .
you d also need a minor resync again, as i synced them with older version.

i prefer 2nd but if one you has problems from seeing the signs bit out of place or dont wanna do resyncs, then go for oyasumi

Edited by sfaxt
  • Like 1

well since today brought it,  i searched again  and i found  an Exiled Destiny script with proper subs and synced them with the new release. I retain  oyasumi subs in the eps I used to.

so now  i can wholeheartedly recommend urotsukis version as the best version to have in my opinion

Edited by sfaxt
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2017 at 5:22 PM, AnimeTricks said:

I hear this was a great time for shows, but there's so many to choose from!

Indeed, it is my favourite period. I wouldn't even pin it down the the turn of the millennium, but a few years earlier. Now and Then, Here and There, for instance, is a show that is very dear to me and is probably my top recommendation from that time, given that you can stomach it. Be warned, it's not pretty (although the expressiveness of its visuals are extraordinary).

Another anime that stands out is Last Exile, a steampunk-inspired adventure story. It excels in a lot of ways: Its worldbuilding is convincing. Not revealing everything upfront, but showing you enough to avoid that "oh sooo mysterious"-pattern. The story is very engaging  and takes place in various types of sceneries, allowing the animators to show off a breadth of backgrounds and locations. It also features one of the most satisfying endings I've seen.

Some more anime I'd mention are Haibane Renmei, a cryptic afterlife-drama by Yoshitoshi Abe, and Read or Die, specifically the TV series. While the premise, people bending paper to their will, seems zany, anyone who ever got a paper cut knows this is a serious power. Jokes aside, while the preceding OVA was indeed mostly an entertaining action flic, the series adopts a notably different tone with a fair mix of (bitter-)sweet and tragic elements. That time period was also when Makoto Shinkai made Voices of a Distant Star, one of my favourite short movies. It is not really representative of any of the other shows I've mentioned, or even of the era, but I found it to be very moving.

I hope you'll find something among these that intrigues you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, blubbso said:

Indeed, it is my favourite period. I wouldn't even pin it down the the turn of the millennium, but a few years earlier. Now and Then, Here and There, for instance, is a show that is very dear to me and is probably my top recommendation from that time, given that you can stomach it. Be warned, it's not pretty (although the expressiveness of its visuals are extraordinary).

Another anime that stands out is Last Exile, a steampunk-inspired adventure story. It excels in a lot of ways: Its worldbuilding is convincing. Not revealing everything upfront, but showing you enough to avoid that "oh sooo mysterious"-pattern. The story is very engaging  and takes place in various types of sceneries, allowing the animators to show off a breadth of backgrounds and locations. It also features one of the most satisfying endings I've seen.

Some more anime I'd mention are Haibane Renmei, a cryptic afterlife-drama by Yoshitoshi Abe, and Read or Die, specifically the TV series. While the premise, people bending paper to their will, seems zany, anyone who ever got a paper cut knows this is a serious power. Jokes aside, while the preceding OVA was indeed mostly an entertaining action flic, the series adopts a notably different tone with a fair mix of (bitter-)sweet and tragic elements. That time period was also when Makoto Shinkai made Voices of a Distant Star, one of my favourite short movies. It is not really representative of any of the other shows I've mentioned, or even of the era, but I found it to be very moving.

I hope you'll find something among these that intrigues you.

Nice write-up, man! I definitely look into your recommendations. Three new shows for me. Now and Then, Here and There i watched, great show. Haibane Renmei I have but not watched. The other three are new to me. Thanks for pointing them out.