Not every animated film to come out, obviously, gets the critical acclaim and box office success of Pixar. Some of them deserve to be drubbed into the ground (Norm of the North, The Boss Baby, the Emoji Movie), but on occasion there are animated works that completely fail, yet still have their fans.

What are some cartoons that you feel deserved more recognition?

Me personally, I really think "Strange Magic" deserves another look. I'm a big fan of jukebox musicals in general, but as far as that one goes, everything about the design reminds me of Lucasfilm's 1980s fantasy works. The character design looks like something ripped straight from Labyrinth or The Dark Crystal. I feel like Strange Magic was supposed to be made in the 80s with cheesy puppets rather than computer animation. It's very unique, if nothing else. Also, it has an army doing a battle chant that's literally a wordless, acapella version of Bad Romance. Which is the greatest thing ever.

15 minutes ago, RealBoy said:

The Angry Birds Movie and The Nut Job don't deserve the hate they get. Sing was also surprisingly good, but I've always been a sucker for musicals.

I didn't care the the Angry Birds movie, but The Nut Job was pretty enjoyable and I've re-watched it with my daughter and my niece probably a couple dozen times.

It's not so much that Fritz the Cat and Coonskin are underrated i's more so that they're not very well known but fuck those are so good. Haunted World of El Superbeasto if fucking ill too if your into all the Ren & Sitmpy-ish stuff as much as I am. All three of them are the shit, cuz y can't adults have good western animated movies too?

• 2 weeks later...

my all time favorite animated full length films are Fire and Ice, and Ninja Scroll. 

I've seen reports and interviews stating that Robert Rodriguez is doing a live action remake of fire and ice but not a word for the last 2 years.

As far as the angry birds movie i was kind of surprised. i expected a train wreck of a mashup trying to cash in on the game but they actually built up a real story line and character development. 

I haven't watched the nut job yet. probably gonna watch that soon though when nieces come over.

• 1 month later...

I rarely hear people praising Interstella 5555 or Wizards like I think they should.

Daft Punk musical animated by Galaxy Express 999?

Instant classic.

Some weird post nuclear Earth with mutants evolving into 'high fantasy' specials having another war thanks to a d-bag getting inspired by Nazi Germany?

Sure...o, and what the FUCK is up with that score? Damn. Wha?

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The 1990's version of The Little Engine That Could. Really great soundtrack and surprisingly dark in places. Such a pity that it's almost impossible to find in anything better than a VHSrip as afaik it never made it to DVD* - although there're some rare laserdiscs of it out there somewhere but I wouldn't have any means to transfer it even if I could find one cheaply.

*(there's apparently one from Ukraine or something, but judging by the dodgy cover it's very likely just a VHSrip on disc lol)

On 6/30/2017 at 9:22 PM, Tanis said:

I rarely hear people praising Interstella 5555 or Wizards like I think they should.

Daft Punk musical animated by Galaxy Express 999?

Instant classic.

Some weird post nuclear Earth with mutants evolving into 'high fantasy' specials having another war thanks to a d-bag getting inspired by Nazi Germany?

Sure...o, and what the FUCK is up with that score? Damn. Wha?

I love Interstella 5555. I think it came out too late after the initial videos (and the DVD release was not promoted in the slightest).  Other underrated movies I like include Metropolis (the anime directed by Rin Taro), Millennium Actress (the Satoshi Kon movie I don't hear people talk about much), and Epic (the slightly generic CG movie with Beyonce having a small voice role).