Gintama (Entire Franchise) Discussion

yick

I hope Sentai has fun dubbing the movie, it's gonna take them forever to translate those japanese only puns/references into english.

/sarcasm.

It's not really about translating them as translating the lines is easy. It's just most people won't get the humor involved with it, even with translation notes added because of culture differences, which is why shows like these require the dialogue to not only be translated but severely altered if it's going to find a decent following with American dub watchers. This involves changing the jokes to something an American would get based on their culture. Sure it'll work, simply translating and giving notes about it, but no, it won't really feel the same or get the same kind of reaction from the watchers as it was originally intended. Shows like Gintama are rarely licensed for American release because of these types of issues. However most sub-watchers, or at least those willing to pay for the subtitled dvd's tend to be Otaku-wannabe's who have looked into Japanese culture etc... and possibly have a better understanding enough to still enjoy the humor as is. It's just the separation between dub watchers and sub watchers.

In fact, most Gintama fans I have seen discussing this release elsewhere are mad because the movie is being dubbed and say they likely won't buy it for that reason. Or they'll treat it as it doesn't exist in the first place. I, on the other hand, am at least going to give it a try and see what they were able to pull off with the dub. Hey, I'm an American. I may be a sub-watcher as well, but I don't mind too much if they have to alter something here or there to still get the 'intended' reaction from me as a watcher. Though, if it somehow fucks up the character personalities and such by failing to do it correctly, then I won't be a happy camper about it, which sadly happens more-so than anything else. Which is why people tend to assume the dub will be fail even before knowing anything about it. Past experiences speak for themselves.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Um well I heard from a review that it's a very comedic type anime. There may be a few serious or "dramatic" parts, but it never looses its sense of fun. He also said that when the serious parts do come, you don't take them as seriously because you expect something funny to happen. He says that the comedy can be its greatest strength, but at the same time its only weakness because of the problem stated earlier.

Also I watch it only when I'm like flying or on a long trip so I've only seen 22 episodes. The serious parts are never really that serious lol.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

A16644-1917107060.1419140663.jpg  

Crunchyroll added episodes 266-278 of the Gintama anime with an English dub on Wednesday. An additional episodes will be added every Wednesday in February.

The cast includes:

Michael Daingerfield as Gintoki Sakata
Cole Howard as Shinpachi Shimura
Jocelyne Loewen as Kagura
Janyse Jaud as Tae Shimura
Matt Ellis as Kotaro Katsura
Michael Adamthwaite as Toshiro Hijikata
Vincent Tong as Sogo Okita
Jason Simpson as Isao Kondo
Adrian Petriw as Sagaru Yamazaki
Marlie Collins as Tsukuyo
Andrew Francis as Tatsuma Sakamoto
Chantal Strand as Tama
Advah Soudak as Yagyu Kyubei 

Crunchyroll announced in July that it would dub and release anime, including Gintama, on Blu-ray Disc on DVD. Funimation and Crunchyroll announced in September that Funimation will handle Crunchyroll's home video distribution, though the companies have not confirmed whether or not Funimation will release Gintama.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-02-01/crunchyroll-adds-english-dubbed-episodes-of-gintama/.111751

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-981505/gintama-3-dub-comes-to-crunchyroll

Edited by Dervell
Fixed Title
  • Like 1

I've been Watching Gintama All the way since until Ep 26 of Season 5,And I very little to almost never watch Sub Anime at all,With Gintama being the only exception.

But From watching the First Two dub episodes out of the twelve they released,all I got to say is that This Dub Has blew my Expectations Away,Especially for the Main Three Characters(Gintoki,Kagura,and Shinpachi)One Word:Perfect.

Definitely Much Better Voices for the main three,then from the Crappy Sentai Dub of the First Movie especially for Shinpachi"s voice witch was just..... I have no Words,it was just terrible.

For the Other Characters Such as (Tae,Otose,Hijikata,Sugo,and Katsura.)

• Tae is Really Good,Her Voice in my opinion Fits Very well,Keeps her exact same tone close to her Japanese VA.

• Otose Is really good as well,Even though the First two episodes she had very little dialogue,Like With Tae Kinda,Keeps her Exact same tone close to her Japanese VA,it's a pinch but higher But Definitely Still better then Her Sentai Voice that's for sure.

• Hijikata And Sugo,Good Picks for VAs,Like With Otose,very little Dialogue they had(Sugo only had like a couple small lines to say)For the Both of them,Hijikata Has that sorta deep voice,witch is good cause his Japanese VA had a deep voice and it's close to his Japanese VA and that is great.Sugo,Same thing like everyone else here,Voice tone almost close to his Japanese VA and that's great,can't wait to here more of them in future episodes they Dub.

• Katsura,I need to here him a bit more,but his VA is a Good Choice,So So Not Much on Par with his Japanese VA,but His English VA still brings out the energy in him like his Japanese VA does and that's perfect for me in my book.

All the other Characters Such as Kyubei and Hasegawa,They only said small sentences,so i couldn't really tell if it was good or not,But will probably here more from them and everyone else when more of the Dub Comes.

I Personally think the Cast of the Dub is Really Good,The Jokes they do Land,Almost Every Name is Pronounced right(Minus Katsura,but I can easily adjust to that.)and More importantly It definitely Keeps the True Sprit Of Gintama,Which in my Opinion Is Great,makes this a English Dub Worth Checking out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dervell said:

The only problem i have is the skipping of over 200 episodes, there is noway i could start this show on season 3

At least the ones before can be watched subtitled legally. Think of fans who don't want fansubs... With D.Gray-man, 52-103 was never officially streamed even subtitled-only; yet they dubbed Hallow. lel.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2017 at 1:20 AM, Dervell said:

The only problem i have is the skipping of over 200 episodes, there is noway i could start this show on season 3

I always wanted to watch gintama but i dont like watching subs because you cant multitask and i am too tired after work to read subs. But i decided to give dubs a try even though i knew nothing about gintama and i dont think you will have any problem if you are casual viewer looking for comedy. Each arc is self contained but it would be good if know about characters

Edited by ninjabutt

• 7 months later...