Gintama (Entire Franchise) Discussion

yick

It has never been licensed for English Dub and I hope it never does.

Gintama is one of the rare breeds of Anime that most of the jokes and story will get lost in translation to the dub because they wont make sense to people that don't know a whole lot of the Japanese culture and stuff.

Pretty much if Gintama gets licensed for the USA, it needs to be one of the few that get released subtitled only.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Having recently watched Gintama ep 237 I was laughing so hard that I was compelled to create a thread like this one. I truly believe that Gintama has the potential to be a great anime and it's definately not failing at doing so. I find it a bit hard to stomach that no one else had thought of this before, come on guys this is one helluva awesome show. What did you guys think of the latest episode? I was all cracked up and was laughing so hard that my stomach and throat started to pain halfway through the episode and even after the show was finished I was still laughing over that one thing that cracked me up the most... The Penile Brake:ah::ah::ah::ah::ah: I thought I was gonna die when I saw that the breaks were broken. Man I don't want to watch episode 238 atm because I'll most probably disturb my family which is sleeping. Shogun episodes are so awesome!!!

Gintama is definitely funny that's for sure, actually i was trying to give up am on episode 168 i didn't know it reached has far has 237 because so far i have downloaded till 203 and i have being constantly checking but its no good.

I mean its very funny i have cracked up so many times but for some reason its still not reaching the height i have set it out to be.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sentai Filmworks confirmed with ANN on Friday that it will include an English dub on its upcoming release of Gintama: The Movie (Gintama: Shinyaku Benizakura-Hen) on DVD and Blu-ray Disc, noting its policy to dub titles it releases on Blu-ray Disc. Sentai Filmworks added that the English dub cast has not been set yet, but Kyle Jones will be directing the dub.

Sentai Filmworks announced on Thursday that it acquired the action comedy film, and the company will release it digitally before it receives a home video release on DVD and Blu-ray Disc later this year.

The 95-minute feature retells a story from the Gintama television series, which is set in an alternate version of Tokyo that Amanto aliens have invaded. Former samurai Gintoki Sakata investigates the disappearance of a legendary sword named Benizakura, while his partners Kagura and Shinpachi Shimura try to find out what happened to Gintoki's friend, Kotaro Katsura.

Full Article Here

The company has stated that it is their policy to dub any titles that they release in Blu-ray format. That being said, there is no way that the series is ever going to be dubbed, the main reason being that it would be a nightmare to rewrite the script, as well as the series' off-putting length. I do hope that it sees success as a stand-alone package though, as it is a show that merits more attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Gintama sure is a masterpiece. Every episode you can laugh really hard. I'm ashamed of myself, because i dropped the Anime years ago at ep 5. I did that just because I usually watch Animes that are mor focused on a real Storyline. However, I decided to give it a go again, and, bibidibabidibu, i got hooked. I think I'll start Season 2 this week. :D

They're going to dub the movie, but still not dub the series?

That makes no fucking sense.

It's either that, or not release it on Blu-ray. Because it's their policy to dub every Blu-ray release. Honestly though Gintama should NEVER be dubbed. It's just one of those types of shows that'd require 98% of all dialogue to need to be altered to be understandable to the average American dub watcher who wouldn't otherwise understand Japanese related humor.

It's either that, or not release it on Blu-ray. Because it's their policy to dub every Blu-ray release. Honestly though Gintama should NEVER be dubbed. It's just one of those types of shows that'd require 98% of all dialogue to need to be altered to be understandable to the average American dub watcher who wouldn't otherwise understand Japanese related humor.

If the show is going to be so damn hard to dub, then why are they even bothering to dub the movie?

Besides it getting a blu-ray release, I mean. There has to be another reason...

If the show is going to be so damn hard to dub, then why are they even bothering to dub the movie?

Besides it getting a blu-ray release, I mean. There has to be another reason...

Nope, that's likely the only reason. Because it is THEIR POLICY that ALL Blu-rays be dubbed in English.