The Torrents slowly dying ?, Piracy days over ?

bleachzzz

• 1 month later...

I think its just high-end movie content on the radar.  I don't think anime sites are being targeted in the least unless it happening on sites rich in movie content.  Does anyone think that our isp are stepping in some though ?  Ive had a ton of dns servers without connectivity not sure if its that or if its because i have win 10 now which is a minefield in its self for me ><  

On 7/24/2016 at 7:14 AM, Koby said:

Torrenting isn't going anywhere. Just dumb out in the open torrenting of hollywood stuff.

Smart people torrent with seedboxes on private trackers only.

Yeah its somewhat true (Looks at the one tracker I have access to)

But at some point Hollywood and Feds (Because apparently Hollywood bought the Feds) are going to start picking on the private trackers. They see those trackers (weather private or public) at threats to their $100 billion bottom line. 

It may feel like it with the downfall of The Pirate bay last year and Kickass recently.

There are still other public trackers available, right now, your best bet is on RARBG if your are looking for latest movies and tv shows.

Also, a better and superior alternative is for you to join Private Trackers, it may seem intimidating at first, but that is just over-hyping the difficulty. Actually they are easy to maintain if you follow the basic rules which are again, Easy.

I'm thinking of renting a remote server with high bandwidth and doing a remote install of ubuntu on it.  Then when my downloads are done just ftp it to my network or drop it into a trucrypt container and ftp the media like that so even if security is compromised in route as it will be with out the long password + keyfiles gl opening it to give me a dmca violation.

• 3 months later...
On 9/17/2016 at 1:15 PM, i509VCB said:

But at some point Hollywood and Feds (Because apparently Hollywood bought the Feds) are going to start picking on the private trackers. They see those trackers (weather private or public) at threats to their $100 billion bottom line. 

The biggest threats to Hollywood are Kodi boxes, and their attempts at stopping them are failing hard, as shown in this article.

Edited by Badguys

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
17 minutes ago, streetsofrage47 said:

I have found over the last couple years, most torrents that are older content have barely any seeders.

That's always been that way with public torrents. It's not any better or worse than it ever has been. There is no incentive on public trackers to seed so people don't bother doing so. That and a lot of people who torrent, just simply don't understand how it works or don't care about the longetivity of the torrent. They only care that they are able to obtain it. Thus majority of public torrents over a month old are dead or close to it. That's the way of the game. You can request uploader to reseed but your mileage may vary with that.

Private trackers are different because if you don't seed, you get kicked out for poor ratio. So at the very least people will seed long enough to not get a hit & run. However because of this, people are often less likely to download because they fear not being able or being willing to seed so they snatch from public trackers instead to save time and ratio. As a result private torrents don't see a lot of snatches and thus overtime lose out on seeders as people eventually have to drop stuff from their seedbox to make room for newer content. This is why freeleech torrents see way more activity.

• Like 1

I don't think they're dying by any means, there may be some ups and downs (sites temporarily going away for example.) Just as mentioned, torrents tend to die not too long after in public. Especially less popular stuff I've noticed in my attempts to get stuff for my family that's several years old. (Or even just a year old for some stuff.) Although, sometimes I've also run into it still being alive but only like 1 seeder with a shitty upload speed on a large torrent. Better than being completely dead and unable to get the item in question though, It's just I'm not one to leave my PC on so I hate having to leave my PC on for like a full week for a download.

Either way, most people just don't seed, which I can understand frankly, I never really seeded myself either unless I just felt bad because ratio was poor, (E.G 1 Seeder, 200 Peers.) then I'll usually seed until it gets more reasonable of a ratio. Especially since I have a seedbox now, I don't have to seed myself directly.

Looking at one of my recent torrents, got 7 (Or 6 minus myself) seeders but 116 have downloaded it. Although, I think around release (Last Sunday) was like 30~ seeders for a minute. I guess people seeding around 'prime time' and then that's it for them. I assume the ratio isn't much different with other releases, although maybe people seed longer for more popular stuff/release groups?

Edited by RyanEsau

• 3 weeks later...

@Koby I agree with you completely but sadly sometimes some rare content gets lost because it is only available on public torrents apparently (this just a example by the way) a rare version of pinocchio

this not animation by the way I actually tried getting this long ago and even then it was dead sadly (Pinocchio BBC 1978 Barry Letts on VHS and torrents only) my point is if nobody bothered to seed rare contents a lot of things would probably be lost and dead already hence why I a very happy that places like kametsu exist I only wish some people would seed more by the way if anybody manages to get this I would really really appreciate it

I have been trying to get this for a long time :(

I don’t think they’re dying, but access to key torrent sites – such as Pirate Bay and Kickass Torrents – has become more difficult depending on the country you live in. Also, as mentioned above, nobody really seeds outside of private trackers, meaning older torrents disappear.

• 3 months later...

I don't know if the death of public trackers means much regarding "the end of piracy," but I can certainly see the Golden Age coming to an end as the Internet itself becomes more politicized and controlled over the next decade. Not only will we likely see the end of public piracy, but maybe even the end of blogging and message boards. The Internet has given too many regular people a voice, and it has made the people at the top very unhappy. We can already see the crackdown beginning to happen, with paypal burning certain industries out of viable financial management, Facebook and other social media sites curating what news and opinions you're shown (and in some cases, completely removing voices with which they disagree), Google filtering out content from smaller websites in favor of perhaps less accurate results from larger "approved" pages, Europe introducing a variety of laws which attempt to dictate online discourse (and California proposing the same) with the threat of legal action, and companies constantly trying to not only throttle connection speeds but to sell "packages" of websites the way that they sell cable channels. The 2020s are going to be an important decade not only in piracy but in the continuation of the Internet as a free space for the little person. I don't think we're going to come out on top.