Chaos's Random Fact of the Day

Chaos92

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact Update

Today we are going to cover weather and some stuff about it as has been requested. Weather is something that is constant and changes when certain conditions are met. While water covers 71 percent of Earths' surface, the atmosphere envelopes all of it and the of gases that is our atmosphere is constantly influenced by the earth and by extraterrestrial forces. For Earth's atmosphere, gravity, sunlight, oceans and topography all dictate certain cycles of air movement . Most weather phenomena occur in the troposphere. Most of the time we come across pretty common weather phenomena which are things like rain, snow, fog, dust dtorms,etc, less common events are things such as hurricanes,tornadoes, and typhoons. As said before most occur in the troposphere because its a lower layer of the atmosphere. Lets see a storm for example is seen as strong wind, thunder,lightning,etc but how does it occur? Storms are created by having a center of low pressure develop and being surround by a system of high pressure. When these to fronts meet they can form storm clouds. Sometimes in general areas whirlwinds and dust devils can even occur. How about tornadoes? They are a violent, swirling column of air that are made from funnel clouds that in most cases are cumulonimbus clouds. Usually what we see when we see a tornadoe is the dirt an debris not really the tornado itself. Tornadoes are commonly developed from super cells which can produc tornadoes with very destructive power. Tornadoes are the result of great instability in the atmosphere and are associated with severe thunderstorms but everything is still not known about their formation. Tornadoes kind of back the calm before the storm saying, many times things will calm down and then the tornado touches down, many have said that a tornado sounds like a freight train this is because its wind can produce such high pitch accoustics.

I hope you enjoyed your fact for the day. ^_^

I was going to cover how we actually get rain and break it down into steps but i figured i would keep it out for now...

Oh and here is a good diagram of a tornado. ^_^

tornadodiagram.jpeg

Fact update

Today we are going to talk about Hot Chocolate. The first record of chocolate being used for drinking was found in a ancient mayan pot which dates back to the 5th century AD.The drink was made by pounding down chocolate beans in to a paste like substance which was then mixed with water, chili peppers, cornmeal, and other miscellaneous spices. The drink was then poured back and forth between a cup and a pot, which made it very foamy like. The thing is, they drank it cold and every class of mayan drank this stuff. The drink was bitter and spicy, which is very much not lke our modern day hot chocolate. Finally chocolate reach the west the only thing was, it was very pricey it cost about 60 to 70$ a lb. Basically today the instant hot chocolate mixes that you coe acroos consist of powder cocoa, sugar and dried milk.

I hope you enjoyed todays fact. ^_^

Beleive it ir not there is alot of history of hot chocolate that goes from south america to europe in spain. And so on and so forth.

Anyways here is a pic of some hot chocolate awesomeness.

creamy-hot-chocolate_413.jpg

Fact Update...

Today is going to be a short fact but it is something everyone has experienced... Brain Freeze. Beleive it or not "brain Freeze has a real scientific name, it is called sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia. I had trouble remembering how this was spelled so i had to look it up, so some credit goes to wiki for helping me spell. Anyways the term "brain freeze was actually invented by 7-11 to explain the pain when drinking a slurpee to fast. Basically when you are drinking or eating something very cold "brain freeze" can occur. When something very cold touches the roof of your mouth (also known a top palate of mouth) the blood vessels there constrict. This in turn tells the nerves to send a signal to the brain telling it to reopen the blood vessels. The rapid reopening of the blood vessels causes a build up of fluid in the tissues causing a slight swelling in the forehead and, therefore it causes pain.

Hope you enjoyed todays fact ^_^

Not a word, better late than never... >_> Anyways, loved the great job you're doing with these random facts (like the one with idiom, I was always interested in word origins, and the volcano and alchemy! What am I saying, every fact was great and interesting. >_<), keep it up! ^.^

Fact Update

Okay today we are going to talk about the orgins of video games. Many people beleive that Pong was one of the first but in truth that is very wrong. Pong was first cam around in about 1972 and wasnt available in a consumers home until 1975. The true first game came out about 25 years earlier, it was invented fallowing WWII, in 1947. Thomas T. Goldsmith and Estle Ray Mann were the creators behind it and basically it was inspired by the missile raydars used in WWII. So basically they made a create a missile simulator game on a cathode ray tube. The game used a completely analogue set up to control the CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) beam and to position a red dot on the screen. Its name is not the most catchy but hey i guess it works, its name was "Cathode Ray Tube Amusement Device". Basically a CRT is a vacuum tube containing an electron gun (a source of electrons) and a fluorescent screen.

I hope you enjoyed todays fact. ^_^

Fact Update

Today we are going to talk about blue people (yes they exsist), and a little bit of information about them. Six generations after a French orphan named Martin Fugate settled on the banks of Kentucky's Troublesome Creek with his American wife, his great-great-great great grandson was born in a modern hospital not far from where the creek still runs. The boy born in this hospital was jusst like any normal baby the only thing was, he was blue. It turns out that martin fugate had been blue as well, though the doctors did not know this so they rushed him to the emergency maternity ward where after two days of test there was nothing to explain why this boy, Benjamin stacy was the color of a bruised plum. The doctors were planning to do a blood transfusion when the boys grandmother finally asked the docter if they had heard of the blue people of troublesome creek?,

The doctors finally decided that his blood was inherited from generations back. He lost his lost his blue tint within a few weeks and now all that is left is traces of blue fingernails and dark blu lips.

Research was done to find the answer to why these people were blue and to make things short i am going to take you right to the cause of it.Congenital Methemoglobinemia is what caused them to be blue basically this ailment is because of an enzyme deficiency, in short the bood cant carry as much oxygen which makes the arteries less red and more of a brownish color, and because of this oxygen deficiency, the result in caucasians is, well having there skin be a blueish color.

However it can be treated with supplemntal oxygen and methylene blue(a chemical compound also used in the 1950's to treat carbon monoxide poisoning) insert into a vain with a shot, it is slowly done for about 4-5 mins, anyways it returned the blue people back to a normal skin color.

I hope you enjoyed the fact today. ^_^ Sorry about the story but i thought it would add to the fact a little.

Her is a pic(painting i think) and yes it is real...lol

troublesome-creek.52.full_.jpg

Don't know why reminded me of Dextrocardia - it's a case when human's heart is situated not on the left side of the body, as it usual is, but on the right side instead. But there is an even stronger version of dextrocardia called dextrocardia situs inversus, in which human's heart represents a mirror image, situated on the right. And things even get further... Dextrocardia is believed to occur in 1 of 12000 people, while one of 30 cases is situs inversus. And 1 of 5000 of later cases is dextrocardia situs inversus totalis: all the internal organs are mirrored.

Don't know why I remembered it. I recall being quite shocked when i found out...

WTF blue people?!? Never heard such a thing before. Where do you pull this stuff from?

Usually its just stuff i have randomly learned, this I came across a few years ago when i was still in high school and isaw an article on it so i read it, and it somehow stayed in my brai,n so i thought it was interesting enough to share with you guys.

I am glad you all you guys liked this fact. ^_^

Fact Update...

Todays fact is going to be about 7-up. and a little history behind it. ^_^ 7-UP was invented in the 1920's which it wasnt technically called 7-UP then it was called "“Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda" First if all as the name suggest it contained lithium, which was a drug commonly prescribed to bipolar disorder patients. Also the drink was originally marketed as a hangover cure due to the inclusion of lithium citrate. The name was changed to 7-Up shortly after its release but the lithium in it remained one of the ingredients until the 1950's. The name 7 most likely comes from the fact that it uses 7 ingredients, which the up portion could realate to the lithium it once contained because lthium contains an atomic mass of about 7. Anywas thats the interesting history behind one of the common drinks that we still have today.

Hope you enjoyed today fact. ^_^

Fact update...

Today we are going to talk about the animal got the title of the most fearless animal. Beleive it or not it is a badger, a honey badger to be exact.The honey badger is usually found in Africa and Western and Southern Asia. For a number of years the Guinness Book of Records has named it the “most fearless creature”. The badger will attack virtually anything and its smart enough to go for weak spots, it has been recorded it will go straight for human men's testicles. It is called a honey badger because it loves honey so much it will dive into a beehive with no regard for its own saftey which usually ends more often then not in its death. Sad enough these badgers as cute as some think they are, can actually kill crocodiles and easily kill snakes. A honey badger can consume a 5ft snake in 15 minutes. The ferocity of this animal is well known not just by humans but nature as well. Even lions and leopards most of the time dont even try to mess with them. Because of its willingness to attack, well about anything it see's it is hardly ever preyed upon. Anyways in pakistan it has been known to be called Bijju.

Hope you enjoyed todays fact. ^_^