Chaos's Random Fact of the Day

Chaos92

Fact Update....

Okay today i am going to talk about goiters and a little central us history about them. First of all a goiter is an enlargment of the thyroid gland. One thing that need to be thrown out there, is almost 100 % of goiters are not cancer but are in fact benign. Anyways there are a few different causes which are simple, hereditary, or due to other diseases. But i am going to focus on simple for this fact today.

Simple is classified as endemic or sporatic. Endemic goiters occur in people within certain geographic areas who do not get enough iodine in their diet (iodine is necessary to make thyroid hormone). The use of iodized table salt in the United States has limited the development of this type of goiter; however, iodine deficiency is still common in parts of central Asia and central Africa. Basically not to long ago some of the central US and states by the great lakes were known as the goiter belt because it was not uncommon to see people walking around with them because of lack of iodine in their diet. Basically people by the coast didnt have problems because many of the food from the coast contain a very good amount of iodine in it. Anyways i thought it was kind of interesting that people used to have these and it was common. Anyways they are not usually harmful although they can lead to hyper and hypothyroidism.

I hope you enjoyed todays fact and sorry for it being late today. ^_^

Here is a pic of a goiter.

figure2a.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact Update...

I know there hasd been no new fact for a few days and that is because of my internet going down for that time and i am still having issues with it. Anyways today I am going to talk about Piblokto disorder. Piblokto also known as artic hysteria is a condition that appears only in Eskimo societies living within the Arctic Circle. It appears most most prevalently in winter, it is considered to be a form of a culture-bound disorder. (which is a disorder that is both mental and physical that has developed in a certain culture or community) Symptoms include intense hysteria (uncontrolled wild behavior), depression, coprophagia (Means they will eat poo), insensitivity to extreme cold (sometimes they may run around in the snow naked), echolalia (senseless repetition of overheard words). Artic Hysteria is possibly linked to vitamin A toxicity because the native Eskimo diet provides rich sources of vitamin A. Similar symptoms have been seen in Westerners with vitamin A toxicity.

I hope you enjoyed your fact today. ^_^

Fact Update....

Today I am going to talk a little about the Door to Hell, located in Turkmenistan, near a small city known as Darvaza. Anyways the Door to Hell was given its name by the local residents. In 1971, geologists drilling for gas deposits uncovered a huge underground cavern, which caused the ground over it to collapse, taking down all their equipment and their camp with it. Because the cavern was filled with poisonous gas, they were not willing to go down to retrieve their equipment, and to prevent the gas escaping they ignited it, hoping it would burn itself out in a couple of days. Unfortunately, there was a slight miscalculation, to the amount of gas that was trapped in the cavern, and the crater continues to burn to this day. In april of this year the Prsident of Turkmenistan visited the site and ordered it to be closed or to find someway to limit its affect on fields of natural gas nearby. I do not know if they have closed it yet though or if they are going to...

I hope you enjoyed your fact for today. ^_^

Here is a picture of it.

2872601095_f17a78b6eb.jpg

And here is it a little farther away.

13.jpg

Fact Update....

Okay todays fact is going to be about the sloth bear and alitte bit about it. ^_^ Sloth bears are among the least known bear species. They are found mostly in India and Sri Lanka, where natives fear them even more than tigers or snakes. And with good reason. It has been said that sloth bears maul at least one person per week in India, and they often seem to attack without being provoked. They feed mostly on ants and termites, and only very rarely eat meat, but they seem to hate humans (which isnt surprising, since these bears have been subjected to centuries of hunting and cruelty). They are also short sighted and easily taken by surprise. If confronted, a sloth bear is as more likely to attack as it is to run away. Being mauled by any kind of bear is a horrible way to die, but the Sloth bear is particularly nasty due to its vintage killing method; it uses its teeth and its incredibly long, sharp claws to literally rip the victim’s face off. Those who are lucky enough to escape death after a Sloth bear attack, are badly scarred for life in most cases, and often left without one of both eyes, or nose or lips for that matter. So basically if you fo to areas with sloth bears do try to avoid them. ^_^

That has been todays fact, hope you enjoyed it. ^_^

Fact Update....

Krampus is a mythical creature that in different regions of the world especially Hungary and Austria is believed to accompany Santa Clause during the Christmas season, only the krampus' job is to warn and punish bad childeren,. Due to German and Austrian influence, the myth of Krampus is also prevalent in the Czech Republic, Slovakia,and some of Italy and a few other countries that i cant think of at the moment.The word Krampus originates from the German word meaning claw (Krampen). In the Alpine regions, Krampus is represented by an incubus-like creature. Young men used to dress up as the Krampus in the first two weeks of December, starting on December 5, and roam the streets frightening children and women with chains and bells. In some rural areas the tradition also includes birching (punishment with a birch rod) by Krampus, in particular young girls are targeted. Images of Krampus usually show him with a basket on his backwhich is supposedly

used to carry away bad children and dump them into the pits of Hell. Modern Krampus costumes consist of wooden masks, horns, and sheep's skin. A large amount of effort goes into the making of the hand-crafted masks, and many younger adults in rural areas compete in the Krampus events.

I hope you enjoyed your fact today. ^_^

Oh and here is a picture of what the Krampus is suppose to look like.

krampus2.jpg

Don't you worry, darling, nowadays they scare children to death by telling them Oblivia will come and rip their tiny heads off... Bwuhahaha!!!

(Everyone is a comedian these days... >.>) Haha ^.^ And I wondered why kids always seemed to pick up a pace when they see me on the street. >.>

Fact update...

Ok its been a few days since i have done any facts but hey i am back and now the facts will be starting again as of today. ^_^ Today we are going to talk about the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, this is a strategic reconnaissance aircraft. The blackbird is known for its ability to exceed mach 3. One issue that the plane had is when it was exceeding mach 3 it was generating a lot of heat on the frame so to address this issue they used titanium which is considered a high temperature metal. Here is the highlights i found for it...

3,551 Mission Sorties Flown

17,300 Total Sorties Flown

11,008 Mission Flight Hours

53,490 Total Flight Hours

2,752 hours Mach 3 Time (Missions)

11,675 hours Mach 3 Time (Total

The thing is this plane was introduced in 1966 and was first flown earlier in 1964. Only a handful of these planes were ever made that i know of last time i checked there were only 32 built that the public knows about. This plane could move at over 2,200 miles per hour at 80,000 ft(24,000m) This plane went into retirement twice, and both times were basically because it was so costly to buil its last retirement was in 1998. So basically this plane was fast enough to have its speed considered its defense. Also unbeleivabley after over 40 years it still holds the record for the fastest plane ever. I could go into its physical make up but that would take forever.lol

So anyways i hope you enjoyed todays fact. ^_^

It almost looks like something out of a comic book...

Blackbird.JPG