Chaos's Random Fact of the Day

Chaos92

Okay so i would bring up a random fact everyday in the chatbox for everyone to read but I have come to realize that many users are not on at the same time as me and alot don't really even use the chatbox. I want to point out that these are not weird and silly facts that you do not think of for ex...If you are right handed then you will probaly chew on your right side.(Yes its a fact) these are more everyday things we use and dont know about them or how they are processed like certain foods..etc.

Today I am going to talk about Air Conditioners or AC for short. The first idea of airconditioning could be traced back to Benjamin Franklin and a professor and basically they were studying how to cool and object relatively quick. But then we jump alittle further to the first attempted AC, whch was created by a florida doctor, basically it used compression to make ice and it was used in the first hospital but all in all his ice machine leaked and was not working more often then not. He still got it patented but his biggest backer for it died and so did his dream for the first AC unit. the idea died for almost 50 years.

When the first successful AC were released to the public they were dangerous they used such chemicals as ammonia and methyl chloride.In 1928 Thomas Midgley created freon, which was great in the matter for the health of us using the AC but it causes damage to the atomospher, and if you want to get technical the stratosphere. Basically it breaks down into diatomic oxygens to put it simply its very bad.

I will quickly cover two units most known wall units and central air because alot of people have that now. For window units air is cooled by a fan that blows it into a evaporator and on the out side air is heated by a second fan that blows it over the condensor. Central air is a system that can basically cool and or dehumidify many rooms instead of one. Usually its condensor and evaporator are located outside. anyways air is drawn through the ducts which goes through a filter which keeps out dust and other foreign particles.

That has been the random fact for the day, I hope you all enjoyed it. Please add comments to the facts if you want or add more info that i didn't know if you can think of it. I will try from here on to come up with a fact everyday.:)

Forgot to add i thought the AC would be interesting because almost all of us use it at some point

6-13-10 -Fact 2 [Taste Senses] - http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=5466

6-14-10 -Fact 3 [Corpse Flower] - http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=5466&page=2

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty nice so for later facts are you going to re-edit your first post or make a new post in this same thread?

I will be posting a new fact in a new post once everyday because it will be mre likely to be checked out if it is updated that way. Don't get me wrong I really don't care about post count, I just think its simpler to just update by new post instead of an edit.^_^ Thank you for the question though i hadnt thought that far ahead until you posted it.

Time to update*

Okay todays random fact is all about the sense of taste what taste we have and what activates each taste. Basically there are 5 sense of taste-

Sweet-

Sour-

Bitter-

Salty-

Umami-

Our tongue has receptors fo these taste senses and basically each one is activated by a specific thing. I will cover them briefly. Sweetness is usually activated when it comes in contact with monosacharrides and so on and to put it simply its sugar that activates sweetness not unexpected i guess. Bitterness is activated by foods with a more alkaline Ph..Ex coffe, and cocoa.Sour also known as puckery in western cultures is cause becaused of more thinks with higher acidity. For example orange juice(citric Acid).Saltiness is brought on by metal ions, also sodium ions-ex... salt. Umami is the newest addition to the taste family in japenese culture it means delicious. It reacts for things like glutamate...Ex this can be found in soy sauce and worcesterers sauce.Also it has been describe as meatiness, anyways it is usually fund in aged foods.:)

That has been chaos's random fact for the day, I hope you enjoyed and have a good day.

Wow hahaha, that was great! I hadn't read this thread at all before this but now I'm glad I did. I had never even heard of Umami before so that was very interesting news! I suppose it makes sense thinking back to all those times I ate those foods, although when I have soy sauce it's usually pretty salty. :P

Fact Update

Today the fact is dedicated to Titan arum or more known because of its fragerance as the corpse flower. This flower is known for two things, one it is the largest has the largest unbranched cluster of flowers in the world and it is known for its distinct smell, which it smells like rotting flesh. This flower can reach up to 3 ft in circumference and the biggest known weighed 200lbs. When this flower dies it drops a single leaf which later grows in to a stem and then another corpse flower and the process is repeated every year. This flower is only found wild in the rainforest of indonesia. Also i think i should add that the corpse plant was first discovered in Sumatra by an italian botanist in 1878. Many flowers we know of are self-pollinators or are pollinated by bees in this case it is different these flowers are actually pollinated by flies and beetles, they use thes bugs to use there pollen to help pollinate other corpse plants. Oh and if you can get it to bloom it only blooms 24 to 48 hrs max...

Anyway that is the fact of the day hope you enjoyed. :)

titan-arum.jpg

It doesn't look like it would smell bad but it does and if you want to see one botanical gardens has it in ther possesion.(up to about 30 known collectors own a corpse flower.)

Fact Update

Today's fact is on the topic of pizza and its history. Many people beleive pizza was the creation of the italians, it was not, the first people to have set the way for pizza was the early greeks. The greeks used large round flat bread, and "annointed" it with oil, herbs,spices and dates. They did not use tomatoes because tomatoes were not discovered yet or most likely they would have. Some time later the flat bread came to italy around the 18th century. The flat bread was sold as pizza there was no toppings on it. In 1889 Queen Margherita was taking a tour of her italian kingdom and saw peasants eating this flat bread, she was interested so she had her servants bring her some of it. She loved the flatbread so much she would get it anytime she was amongst the people soon though the royal court was not happy about royalty eating peasant food but she didnt care what they thought. She called upon a cheff from a pizzaria to make her pizzas when ever she desired. Because her subjects adored her majesty the chef decided to make something special he put tomatoes mozarella cheese and fresh basil on the pizza. It is not clear if the chef sold his pizza creation to the people from his own pizzaria but what is clear without him pizza would not have taken the giant leap that it did from being the greeks pizza. In bologna, meat was said to be first added. Variations from then on have traveled throughout the globe and hit the shores of America, France, England where it was little known until after World War II.

One thing to throw in is that national pizza day is february 9.:)

That has been your random fact for the day hope you enjoyed. ^.^