Chaos's Random Fact of the Day

Chaos92

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact Update

Today we will discuss the true difference of fruits and vegetables. In truth fruit are considered the ripened ovary that contains seeds of a flowering plant. Vegetables on the other hand is a culinary term and has no value scientifically. Herbacious plants are plants that can be eaten generally in whole or in part are considered vegetables. For ex- a veggie would be like broccoli or carrots. So in truth tomatoes, pumpkins, peppers,etc all fruits and technically they are for one reason they all have seeds. Then why here in the US is the tomatoe considered a vegetable? It was a sumpreme court case and they decided in a unanimous vote in the case of Nix versus Hedden in 1883, that a tomato is a vegetable, even though it is a botanical fruit. So many veggies are really fruits, remember if it has seeds it is botanically a fruit if not technically its a herbaceous plant.

National Fruit and Vegetable month is June 1-30

I hope you enjoyed todays fact and have a nice day.:)

Fact Update

Todays fact is about Dragonball, so i hope you dont already know it.lol Dragonball was actually inspired by Journey to the West one of the most loved stories in chinese history. How does it relate you may ask? Well in the story a character known as Monkey is what inspired Akira Toriyama to make Goku. This is why Goku has his tail and is able to transform into a giant monkey. Monkey also had an expanding staff and cloud that flies around. In personality though Monkey and Goku were not so similar, goku was innocent, kind hearted and generally wanted to help others while Monkey's character traits were clever and sly and he had an ego to match.It just so happens, this action is comparable to Satan's revolt against God in the Bible, though it must be noted that Monkey is not evil, but instead highly arrogant and self-assured. Monkey was required to help a monk which could be compared to goku helping bulma.

Anyways your fact today was more story than fact but I was telling you a little of the Journey to the West story. Many of the characters from dragonball come straight from that story. I read it an article on it a while back although I don't like dragonball I thought it was an intresting fact.

If that is not considered interesting how bout this anime originated in 1917, so the thing many of us love to watch got its start a longtime ago although Astro boy is considered the first anime to hit western shores. If i remember right Astro boy was one of the first episode based shows in japan as well. Anyways that is what i know.

Hope you enjoyed the multiple facts today and have a nice day.:)

Fact Update

Todays fact is about Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray or also known as a BR. Blu-Ray is a high density optimal disc that was created to go beyond the capabilities of DVDs. It is mainly used to store high definition video and ps3 video games. A single layer blu-ray can hold 25Gb of data while a dual layer can hold 50Gb of data.Blu-Ray use a shorter wavelenght to read disc than DVDs, it uses a 405nm laser thus allowing the disc to about 10x more data then a standard dvd. Also Blu-Ray is called it Blu-Ray because of the blue laser that reads the disc. Commercial HDTV sets began to appear in the consumer market around 1998, the problem was there was hardly anything that could hold the HD codecs. In order to fix this work was started on the Blu-Ray Disc, in 2002 it was officially annoucned as a Blu-Ray disc and in 2004 all physical specifications were up to spec.

That is your fact for today, i am sorry for not going indepth but if I did it would just be numbers and weird abbreviations. And by request here is a fact about michigan...

The name Michigan is derived from the Indian words "Michi-gama" meaning large lake.

Fact update

Today we are going to talk about alchemy and its history. Many if not all of us have seen sull metal alchemist if we havent seen it then most have heard of it. Real alchemy was based on philosophy and it was ancient cultures attempt at making worthless base metals into gold. Although the fact that alchemy was out there it has help us today. Its more practical aspect has actually layed the base for inorganic science.Alchemy is derived from the arabic word al-kimia which means the chemistry.Alchemy has been practiced in ancient Egypt, India, China, Japan, Korea, the medieval Islamic world, and then medieval Europe up to the 20th century, in a very advanced network of school systems spanning at least 2,500 years maybe more.

Alchemy is the science of understandin, deconstruction and reconstructing matter. A book came into the picture around the 17th century in france it claimed that the philosophers stone could be created using 15 symbols and illustrations. The philosopher stone supposedly would enhance the users alchemic powers, some claimed that the stone could bring them immortality unless death by fire or drowning. It was common beleif that fire and water were the greater elements that created the stone. However there is no proof any such stone ever exsisted as well as most alchemy was a failure, the persians alchemy was the forerunner for modern chemistry but other then that alchemy was hit an miss. No base metal was ever turned into gold, however it made an impact on history which is not nessicarily a bad thing. To finish alchemy died out around the 20th century.

Hope you enjoyed your fact today.^_^

Fact update...

Today were going to talk about the english idiom "It's Raining Cats and Dogs" and its orgins. The orgins are not completely known but one of the most popular beleifs is it is because of highwinds traveling over high water levels rising that fish and frogs could be carried miles and that they landed on roofs, which has never been scientifically tested but some have witnessed frogs falling out of the sky as well as fish and birds. In most cases the animals like frogs are dead but sometimes they come out just as healthy as ever but sometimes they have been known to have fallen and be covered in ice and sometimes its just body parts. Raining cats and dogs has never been seen but there are common beleifs for it as well. One "explanation" widely circulated claimed that in 16th-century Europe when peasant homes were commonly just basically grass roofs, animals could crawl into the thatch roof and find shelter from the elements, and would fall out during heavy rain. However, there seems to be no evidence in support of either assertion. I like to believe that it is just a term for heavy rainfall but there are many idea's that go around about this saying but nothing has ever really been proven. That is all there really is to the term raining cats and dogs.

On another note today is fathers day so here is a little fact for you. Father's Day is a was not made official until the early twentieth century to complement Mother's Day.

I hope you enjoyed todays fact. ^_^

So you actually made it, huh? I was just joking then, but now it seems it was a good idea after all.

I saw the raining frogs phenomena in one movie( "Magnolia", if my memory serves me right). But seriously i agree that the term doesn't mean anything like that and could be anything else instead the "cats and dogs", as long as it sounded good.

I like the Father's Day fact. Being a father and a step father and a step grandfather, boy I feel old lol. I can say less is done for this day than Mother's Day. But that's O.K. you should !! Fathers are a simple people we don't ask for much like give us an extra hour the couch or just a hug is enough. Sometimes it looks like we don't care but we're just trying to on a tough guy act. We love our kids just the same.

Fact update

Today we are going to talk about solstices which is kind of less random because today is the summer solstice. A solstice is an event that takes place twice a year(also there are the equinoxes which occure twice as well once in the fall and once in the spring), when the tilt of the earths axis is inclined toward or away from the sun. This cause the suns postion to either be in the northernmost or southernmost extreme in the sky. The name solstice itself means sun to standstill. The solstice is when the sun reaches as far in one direction as it will go and it stops. When it stops that is the solstice and after the solstice it reverses its direction.The seasons are not caused by the varying distance of Earth from the Sun due to the Earth's orbit. This variation does make a contribution, but is small compared with the effects of exposure because of Earth's tilt. There are to solstice one being the summer solstice and one being the winter solstice but this can be misleading because seasons are opposite in the northern and southern hemisphere. Many just call the summer solstice the northern solstice and the winter solstice the southern solstice.

In the sake of something ynobody ever hears the solstice called i will throw it out there. Here are the Solstice latin names. ^_^

Hibernal Solstice- is winter

Aestival Solstice- is summer

That was todays fact i hope you enjoyed it. :)

During the summer solstice every year thousands gather to watch the sun rise on the longest day of the year. appoximately 20,000 were in attendance this year, around 16,000 less than last year which caused chaos and road closure. All knds of people come from all over the world to watch this sight in amazment. Druids, hippies, and sunworshipers just to name a few. A visitor centre was to be constructed for such evets but the budget was recently given the no go for good. stupid government.

Just a little more useless knowledge to add to chaos daily brain feed.

Fact Update

Today we are going to talk about volcanoes and some basic information about them. The name Volcano comes from the name Vulcan, the roman god of fire. Earth itself has over 1500 ACTIVE volcanoes. The largest volcano in the world is Mauna Loa which has a volume of about 40,000 cubic kilometers. The tallest volcano is Ojos del Salado in Chile. It is 22,589 feet tall. Basically 80% o the earth is from volcanic orgins.The loudest sound in the history of mankind was caused by a volcanic eruption at Krakatoa, near Java in 1883. The sound was so powerful that it was heard in Australia, which is 5000 km far from Krakatoa.

There are three types of lave produced from volcanoes

Pahoehoe-Much thinner it can flow down volcanoes slope in vast rivers.

Basaltic- Flows very slowy very much resembleing a mass of hot jello

Pillow Lava- Normally found in underwater volcanoes and as soon as it touches the water it cools and hardens.

Earthquakes, hot springs, fumaroles(smoke), geysers, and mud pots, often accompany volcanic activity.

Here is a pic showig the basic parts of a volcano

volcanoParts.jpg

Anyways hope you enjoyed the fact. ^_^