[Discussion] The future of Dragon Ball Z Games?

J-Lord

**I felt like this thread would belong in the mako reactor then anywhere else, if you feel otherwise let me know**

I wanted to create a thread in regards to all the Dragon Ball Z games that have been released and the future of where the games are going.

The Past

There have been some great DBZ games in my gaming history such as Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Both great in there own way.

Since those two PS2 games no DBZ game has meet what standards they rose for the DBZ gaming genre. Ever since then the games seem to have gone down hill year by year. Sure burst limit had awesome graphics and good fight mechanics (and one of the best super saiyan goku vs freiza fights I have ever seen) but was no budokai. The same can be said about raging blast 1 & 2, they are no Budokai Tenkaichi.

The two latest titles in the DBZ gaming series are Ultimate Tenkaichi and Battle of Z. Now I own UT but not BoZ so I can only go on what I have of the demo of BoZ and what I have seen in videos and reviews.

UT - Not a bad try at a game but in my opinion not a great game, after you learn all the moves and combos for this game which can take half an hour, that is pretty much it for the fighting mechanics. The game gets boring and repetitive and sometimes feels like a game of chance more than skill.

BoZ - A 4 vs 4 fighting game, truly a great idea if done right. And in the case of BoZ which took 2 years to make rather than the standard one year like most other DBZ games has dropped the bar. The graphics are a step back and it feels like a spamming game more than a game of skill. The battles feel pretty chaotic most of the time and it is hard to think straight. You are better of charging in hoping to win.

The Future

I have no idea what the future hold for DBZ games but after Ultimate Tenkaichi I thought things could only get better. I was proven wrong by Battle Of Z. I hope they continue to make more DBZ games but they need to start listening to fans more and to stop making these terrible games, they have great ideas for the games, just seem to use them in the wrong sort of way.

What I would like to see in future games is graphics like Burst Limit with great cinematic. A free roam fighter like the fan made Half-Life mod ESF fused together with Budokai Tenkaichi and well as a large roster of characters including GT characters which seem to be lacking in DBZ games as of late.

What are your thoughts on the latest DBZ games and what do you hope to see in the future? I look forward to seeing what you guys think about the latest DBZ games and your thoughts on them, did you like them or hate them? Would you like more DBZ games in the future or should they just stop making them all together?

Edited by J-Lord

• 3 weeks later...

They need to take the anime farther maybe do somthing with those other gods Bills(the cat guy) mentioned at the end of Battle of the gods movies i would be so excited to see some new stuff. :dribble:

Not that I don't support what you are saying, it is just this thread is more about the DBZ games not the anime. If this was about the anime then I have just wasted a good lot of time writing the intro post.

They need to take the anime farther maybe do somthing with those other gods Bills(the cat guy) mentioned at the end of Battle of the gods movies i would be so excited to see some new stuff. :dribble:

Not that I don't support what you are saying, it is just this thread is more about the DBZ games not the anime. If this was about the anime then I have just wasted a good lot of time writing the intro post.

I get what he is saying I think.

First of all, most if not all DBZ games are bassed off of the anime or manga, so for there to be more DBZ games with a new story other than what has already been done, there first needs to be more story for the anime or manga to be made.

So if they take the anime further, there will be more story and character for the games.

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma

Actually thats exactly what it is.

DBZ games don't usually appeal to me, I've never followed it. But if they've done the last parts of the story in the game then they won't make anymore. Unless they do something else with the games.

Actualy, they might make more even if they don't do a new story, but it would be the same game over, and Atari will lose even more money.

Going further into the story would help the dbz games but lately it is the game play mechanics that I find lacking. Ultimate Tenkaichi and Battle of Z to me have terrible and boring game play mechanics. No DBZ game of late has been great to play. Sure increasing going further in the dbz story than they usually do would help in a way, but a good game needs good game play mechanics, without those you may as well just watch DBZ for the story.

So basically release another DBZ game showing the true potential of what they can do with anime based games.

I think people will be sick of these games by now, so won't even consider buying another one.

Except you have hard core Toriyaman and Dragon Ball fans out there who buy the games to collect or just to say they played it, even if they don't like it.

So basically release another DBZ game showing the true potential of what they can do with anime based games.

I think people will be sick of these games by now, so won't even consider buying another one.

You would be surprised, there will be people who get sick of these games and then there are those who have to buy every DBZ game that gets released. The same can be said about any major franchise, like Mario, Zelda, Halo, Call of Duty etc. As long as these games are made there will always be buyers and the DBZ fan base it pretty big so there will always be buyers for DBZ games.

I use to buy every DBZ game that came out, but then I bought a house and had to more wise about the money I spent.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice indeed, I second the motion to have this released outside of Japan, even though this game is in very early stages lol. I hope it gets a xbox one release although I also have a PS4 lol.

That red haired character, they say it may be a time traveler but my thoughts would be more towards a created character, hinting that this game will feature a character creation feature like in DBZ:UT.

Nice find.

Edited by J-Lord