Cheep Decent iPod Alternative

ruekk

Ok so I'm looking for a cheep alternative to an iPod. Can anyone recommend a good one?

What is required:

• Listen to music with decent audio quality
  • Watch videos with decent video quality (don't care about file format and codec limits, just as long as it plays video)
  • Browse pictures with decent video quality
  • 8GB or more (ill take 4GB if it can read music, videos, and pictures off a sd card)
  • At least 10 hour battery life for listening to music
  • $75 - $80 or less

What is preferred (but can live without):

• Touch screen.
  • Decent sized screen
  • Speaker
  • Camera
  • Green (If i can get it green that would be great)
  • Long battery
  • Wifi capable
  • Earbuds included with player
  • FM Radio

What I'm avoiding:

• => => => ANYTHING EXPENSIVE <= <= <=
  • Anything complicated (this is a present for my gf and she isn't very good with tech)

These are the ones I'm looking at so far:

My first / second choice (I can't decide which I like better):

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-28-Internet-Tablet-Black/dp/B00422SGX0/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-Vision-Player-Built-Transmitter/dp/B003SE6I74/ref=pd_cp_e_3

My third choice:

http://www.amazon.co...&n=172630&s=mp3

My fourth choice:

http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sim_e_34

So what do you guys think about these, and if you know of any better ones give me a link to it and ill check it out.

Edited by ruekk

Not unless you're suggesting he buys a phone for his girlfriend!

There are sites dedicated to alternatives to iPod. Might be worth a look.

It seems like, at your price point, you're going to get a quirky player no matter what you choose. If your girlfriend isn't very good with tech, you'll probably want to focus more on usability vice specs, unless she's an audiophile. Does she really need all that stuff? Because it sounds like you want to get her a tablet that happens to play music instead of a media player, haha.

It seems like, at your price point, you're going to get a quirky player no matter what you choose. If your girlfriend isn't very good with tech, you'll probably want to focus more on usability vice specs, unless she's an audiophile. Does she really need all that stuff? Because it sounds like you want to get her a tablet that happens to play music instead of a media player, haha.

Yeah i know it'll probably be quirky but I don't have much money to spend and I'm mainly looking for something to play music and view pictures on. She loves music but she doesn't have a cell phone, iPod, or even a CD player. All she has is a PC and she shares that with 6 other people. So I wanna get her something she can use to listen to music on when she can't use her PC. All the extra stuff, e.g. wifi capable, that's just stuff that would be great to have on there but I know she won't care all that much about.

So far what I have found for the price

Handheld

------------------------

NewEgg Listing of Handhelds from Lowest Price to Highest

TigerDirect Listing of Handhelds from Lowest to Highest (Between 50-99 USD)

Although seems Tiger thinks some tablets fit into the category :P

Will post more when I run into them

Thanks, I'll check those out

Edited by ruekk

If you're fine with used, Craigslist should make it easy to find a used phone or something that meets your requirements. A Droid X can be had for about $70-$80 USD. And then there are also other Android phones and the iPhone or iPod Touch.

If i was getting this for myself then I would probably do that, but since its a present i would rather get something either new.

If you're fine with used, Craigslist should make it easy to find a used phone or something that meets your requirements. A Droid X can be had for about $70-$80 USD. And then there are also other Android phones and the iPhone or iPod Touch.

If i was getting this for myself then I would probably do that, but since its a present i would rather get something either new.

I see. Well this is a little over your budget but the Kyocera Rise is a cheap budget device.

/>http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/kyocera-rise-phone/features/

Read this a few days ago, but I can't keep myself from posting this. I really think you should just buy a smartphone, an Android one. Since it will have all the features you want, WiFi, GPS, good touch screen, apps, a decent enough music player, big microSD card support (you could buy a 32GB micro-SD card for about 20 dollars (AUD) off ebay), decent screen size with good resolution, and so on.

Read this a few days ago, but I can't keep myself from posting this. I really think you should just buy a smartphone, an Android one. Since it will have all the features you want, WiFi, GPS, good touch screen, apps, a decent enough music player, big microSD card support (you could buy a 32GB micro-SD card for about 20 dollars (AUD) off ebay), decent screen size with good resolution, and so on.

That would be great, except that an android smartphone without service costs more money than I have. And I wouldn't get one with service.

Edited by ruekk