Random Talk.

Talena Mae

I can't draw to save my life. Have you SEEN my drawings? You couldn't get me to do art even if you held a gun to my head, haha. Java draws way better than I do.

I haven't decided, but I want to be a writer and/or make indie games. Mostly I want to be a hobo, but I think Java wants me to do things that are profitable and don't involve being a hobo.

Oh I have seen them. Its just that I couldnt really say anything if you said you wanted to do art or music since I dont hang around people who took those programs and most of the stuff that I would have to say would be about not getting jobs. Literature and computing are both great paths, I can recommend the computer science program from experience.

And then go tell Java that being a hobo is actually pretty profitable. A good hobo can make over 100 dollars a day, and a professional beggar can make over 1000 a day if they are good enough

EO, if you combine writing with computer science, you could go work as a writer for some tech news site :D. I see advertisements every once in a while on the news sites I visit looking for reviewers/writers/etc. You'd probably want to do a double major in Journalism/CS or EE, or choose 1 to be your major and hit up a minor with the other.

School's almost OVER :D.

easy for u to say u don't have a physics, calculus, alge'brah' and astrophysics exam this week :P

EO, if you combine writing with computer science, you could go work as a writer for some tech news site :D. I see advertisements every once in a while on the news sites I visit looking for reviewers/writers/etc. You'd probably want to do a double major in Journalism/CS or EE, or choose 1 to be your major and hit up a minor with the other.

advocating your own degree eh? :D

Except I don't think I would like writing for techie news. That sounds like something Java would like more if he actually cared to write. I think it's obvious in the way we post that he's a quite bit more laconic than I am, haha.

Although doing some sort of combination of the two sounds like a good idea. I know a couple schools are happy to help people kind of build their own majors and/or do different "tracks" of already established majors. One of the universities I was looking at has a CS major with a video game design track that interested me.

I believe this has been said here before, but I'll reiterate it just in case:

Since you're looking at CS, you should know that CS is supposed to focus more on the theoretical aspects of computing. Basically the science and math behind computing. If you're looking to go into a programming profession specifically and you're not interested in theory I would recommend you do Software Engineering.

I see the 2 path breakdowns sorta like how I see physics and engineering. One path teaches you how to master the practice and just assumes or mentions the theory without going too deep. The other path teaches you how to master the theory and leaves the learning of the practice to you (however since all practice is derived from the theory, you technically know all practices... but in reality this doesn't help you too much and you need to teach yourself the practice). Theory is normally harder since it's more abstract, but if you actually master the theory you have an extremely good base to learn anything else related to that theory. Mastering the practice inherently means you learn some theory, but you really don't need to know all theory to be a master of the practice.

If you want to work on stuff like the millennium problems though you'll need to learn the theory ^-^.

I sense a disturbance in the force... there is an unknown presence in our midst.

Yo Nellio, hope you are well :D. You had a baby? Congratz :D. Hope everything went well. Also, 2/3 things you said made sense, but please elaborate on exactly how you fell off the Earth and what that felt like and what you were thinking at the time :3.