Most Depressing and/or Touching Final Fantasy

Koby

So which Final Fantasy game did you find most depressing or dark?

For me, it would have to be Final Fantasy IX. There was so much war, death, and destruction. For example, when Odin destroyed Cleyra, or that scene where the Invincible destroys Madain Saari, Atomos destroying Lindblum, and that battle between Bahamut and Alexander which ended in Invincible destroying Alexandria. Then there was that whole thing with Brahne plotting, and attempting to carry out, Garnet's death to recieve the Eidolons she held, and Brahne's untimely demise, and Garnet actually being sad over it after what Brahne tried to do to her. Then that stench of death in Gizamaluke's Grotto what with all the Burmecian soldiers being slaughtered by the Black Mages and Burmecia itself was dark and gloomy with the ruined city and rain, and that dark sky.

And as far as being touching, Final Fantasy IX had that to. Like the towns people of Lindblum and Alexandria helping each other to rebuild their fallen city. It had both the destruction of the cities, and the after effect; what it did to the people and how they coped with it.

So what are your thoughts?

Hmm...now that I think about it IX was really depressing compared to some of the others. So much destruction and death. I felt kinda Heartbroken to see Alexandria being destroyed by the Invincible.

And to add flavor, to see Kuja to destroy life as we know it by trying to destroy the Crystral.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd say it's a tie between FFX, FFX-2, and FF9. However, I think FF8 is more touching than FF7...

Final fantasy X was sad for me because Tidus was pretty ignorant about spira throughout most of the story, especially when he said that after beating Sin, they could go back to the Moonflow and watch the Pyreflies together. Everyone but him knew that Yuna was going to have to give up her life to destroy sin, so with her agreement, it was pretty sad. Then the whole whistle thing. I just absolutely loved that. It broke my heart when she was whistling at the end and he didn't come like he had promised.

FFX-2 was sad because of the thing between Lenne and Shuuyin. He was so willing to save her, and he wanted to revenge her death so badly that he waited 1000 years to do so. 1000 years in the dark, by himself. Not to mention the fact that Yuna is still waiting for Tidus to return... "I'm listening for your whistle..."

FF9, well...I think it's all been said ^^

FF8 touched me a lot, though. "I'll be waiting here." "Why?" "I'll be waiting here for you, so... if you come here, you'll fine me. I promise." That makes me long for a good boyfriend, lol.

I think FFX is one of the saddest ones... It needed more added to the story in a lot of ways, but when you really think about it... it -was- a very sad story, especially the parts before the game actually started. To me, FFX is the most touching even though FF9 is the most depressing, if that makes any sense.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd say it's a tie between FFX and FF8

Final fantasy X was sad for me because Tidus was pretty ignorant about spira throughout most of the story, especially when he said that after beating Sin, they could go back to the Moonflow and watch the Pyreflies together. Everyone but him knew that Yuna was going to have to give up her life to destroy sin, so with her agreement, it was pretty sad. Then the whole whistle thing. I just absolutely loved that. It broke my heart when she was whistling at the end and he didn't come like he had promised.

FF8 touched me a lot, though. "I'll be waiting here." "Why?" "I'll be waiting here for you, so... if you come here, you'll fine me. I promise."

I agree with both of the above. Also couldn't have said it better myself.

• 1 month later...

I'd say FFVII, FFIX or FFX are most emotional...

FFVII was all about a depressed and repressed world trying to find a better way of living, and then gets the threat of the world being destroyed. I think also it was probably the most emotional, just for what the characters have to go through and how they have to strive throughout the storyline.

FFIX is about a guy who just wants to find a place where he can belong, and his growing love for a girl who shouldn't even be in his reach. Also the events that happen to Garnet and Zidane throughout the story just are so emotional, and is one of the only games (alongside FFVII & FFX) to make me cry because of the overwhelming emotion within it.

FFX also is quite emotional, as it's about a world that has to keep sacrificing people for the better of the world. Also the ending is one of FF's most saddening. I don't think it has quite the same emotional trates or circumstances as FFVII, but just for the ending and the growing love I think it's one of the sadest.

FF IX made me cry at the end, so why not. I thought the sideline characters were humurous throughout the story (Steiner, Vivi, Quina, etc.) and the whole feel of the game made me crack up at times. But there was also a more serious tone in some aspects of the game, and I thought that was pretty awesome.