Post a Single, or a Number of Your Favorite Quotes

Citizenmanman

Simple, post one or many quotes you like/agree with... regardless of what they are in reference to, post'em... I will start with a number of my favorites... luckily I already spent an hour the other day typing these up into a list for myspace... hoozah!

"Everything that is new or uncommon raises a pleasure in the imagination, because it fills the soul with an agreeable surprise, gratifies its curiosity, and gives it an idea of which it was not before possessed.

" - Joseph Addison

"The man who has no imagination has no wings.

" - Muhammad Ali

"They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.

" - Francis Bacon

"Imagination has brought mankind through the dark ages to its present state of civilization. Imagination led Columbus to discover America. Imagination led Franklin to discover electricity." - L.

Frank Baum

"There is a boundary to men's passions when they act from feelings; but none when they are under the influence of imagination.

" - Edmund Burke

"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

" - Lewis Carroll

"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - Gilbert K.

Chesterton

"Live out of your imagination, not your history.

" - Stephen Covey

"A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

" - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"To imagine is everything, to know is nothing at all.

" - Anatole France

"It is the eye of ignorance that assigns a fixed and unchangeable color to every object; beware of this stumbling block.

" - Paul Gauguin

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.

" - Theodor Geisel

"I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant." - Ursula K.

Le Guin

"Personally, I would sooner have written Alice in Wonderland than the whole Encyclopedia Britannica.

" - Stephen Leacock

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

" - Jack London

"All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers.

" - Orison Swett Marden

"Trust that little voice in your head that says ' Wouldn't it be interesting if...' ; And then do it.

" - Duane Michals

"I believe in the imagination. What I cannot see is infinitely more important than what I can see.

" - Duane Michals

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S.

Patton

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S.

Patton

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

" - Carl Sagan

"The lunatic, the lover, and the poet, are of imagination all compact.

" - William Shakespeare

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

" - Henry David Thoreau

"I never did very well in math - I could never seem to persuade the teacher that I hadn't meant my answers literally.

" -

Calvin Trillin

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

" - Mark Twain

"Imagination and fiction make up more than three quarters of our real life.

" - Simone Weil

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures.

" - Jessamyn West

"Some stories are true that never happened.

" - Elie Wiesel

"People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition end by starving the best part of the mind.

" - William Butler Yeats

"I am imagination. I can see what the eyes cannot see. I can hear what the ears cannot hear. I can feel what the heart cannot feel.

" - Peter Nivio Zarlenga

"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?" - Scott Adams

"Wit is educated insolence.

" - Aristotle

"We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.

" - Albert Einstein

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." - F.

Scott Fitzgerald

"Every true genius is bound to be naive.

" - Friedrich Schiller

"Common sense is not so common.

" - Voltaire

"Genius is more often found in a cracked pot than in a whole one." - E. B.

White

"To be satisfied with a little, is the greatest wisdom; and he that increaseth his riches, increaseth his cares; but a contented mind is a hidden treasure, and trouble findeth it not.

" - Akhenaton

"In seeking wisdom thou art wise; in imagining that thou hast attained it - thou art a fool.

" - Lord Chesterfield

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

" - Confucius

"The wisdom of the wise and the experience of the ages are perpetuated by quotations.

" - Benjamin Disraeli

"He dares to be a fool, and that is the first step in the direction of wisdom.

" - James Huneker

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.

" - William James

"Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it.

" - Doug Larson

"The more sand that has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.

" - Jean Paul

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

" - Socrates

"When I can look life in the eyes, grown calm and very coldly wise, life will have given me the truth, and taken in exchange - my youth.

" - Sara Teasdale

"Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself.

" - Tom Wilson

"Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.

" - Muhammad Ali

"There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship.

" - Saint Thomas Aquinas

"Friendship is a single soul dwelling in two bodies.

" - Aristotle

"Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit.

" - Aristotle

"I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult his calendar.

" - Robert Brault

"An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.

" - Buddha

"It's the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter.

" - Marlene Dietrich

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.

" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down." - Arnold H.

Glasow

"Without wearing any mask we are conscious of, we have a special face for each friend.

" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

"When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it." - Edward W.

Howe

"A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same.

" - Elbert Hubbard

"The real test of friendship is: can you literally do nothing with the other person? Can you enjoy those moments of life that are utterly simple?" - Eugene Kennedy

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival." - C. S.

Lewis

"Many a person has held close, throughout their entire lives, two friends that always remained strange to one another, because one of them attracted by virtue of similarity, the other by difference.

" - Emil Ludwig

"Men kick friendship around like a football, but it doesn't seem to crack. Women treat it like glass and it goes to pieces.

" - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

"I always felt that the great high privilege, relief and comfort of friendship was that one had to explain nothing.

" - Katherine Mansfield

"If it's very painful for you to criticize your friends - you're safe in doing it. But if you take the slightest pleasure in it, that's the time to hold your tongue.

" - Alice Duer Miller

"When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand.

" - Henri Nouwen

"You can always tell a real friend: when you've made a fool of yourself he doesn't feel you've done a permanent job." - Laurence J.

Peter

"I don't need a friend who changes when I change and who nods when I nod; my shadow does that much better.

" - Plutarch

"We call that person who has lost his father, an orphan; and a widower that man who has lost his wife. But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence.

" - Joseph Roux

"Silences make the real conversations between friends. Not the saying but the never needing to say is what counts.

" - Margaret Lee Runbeck

"True friends stab you in the front.

" - Oscar Wilde

"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."

Malaclypse the Younger

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."

not sure

All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.

anoonymous poster on random website

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs.

Borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back.

A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

The problem with the Gene pool is there aren't any lifeguards

If you can't fix it with duck tape you have'nt used enough

I'll be sober tomorrow but you'll be ugly for the rest of your life.

If We Quit Voting, Will They All Go Away?

POLITICIANS & DIAPERS BOTH NEED TO BE CHANGED, AND FOR THE SAME REASON

those who think they know everything, annoy those of us that do

Here officer, hold my beer while I find my license.

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might want to call it The Welsh Paddy." - Friend of mine, after playing a gig at some pub a few months back. xD

I later found out that the quote was a twist from something John Lennon said.

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might want to call it Chuck Berry." - Original John Lennon quote.

So yeah, I thought that was awesome. :ewhz:

"Nowadays you can't be loud enough!" -John Bonham, Led Zeppelin.

Another favourite of mine. ^^

• 4 weeks later...

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world. - Tyler Durden "Fight Club"

Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. - Tyler Duden "Fight Club"

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway. - Tyler Durden "Fight Club"

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero. - Narrator "Fight Club"

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. - Tyler Durden "Fight Club"

And then, something happened. I let go. Lost in oblivion. Dark and silent and complete. I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom. - Narrator "Fight Club"

[while brutally beating Angel Face] I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species. I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see. I wanted to breathe smoke. - Narrator "Fight Club"

Self improvement is masturbation. Now self destruction... - Tyler Durden "Fight Club"

[to the police chief] Hi. You're going to call off your rigorous investigation. You're going to publicly state that there is no underground group. Or... these guys are going to take your balls. They're going to send one to the New York Times, one to the LA Times press-release style. Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances. We guard you while you sleep. Do not... fuck with us. - Tyler Durden "Fight Club"

Reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions. - Tyler Durden "Fight Club"

Most of the week we were Ozzie and Harriet, but every Saturday night we were finding something out: we were finding out more and more that we were not alone. It used to be that when I came home angry and depressed I'd just clean my condo, polish my Scandinavian furniture. I should have been looking for a new condo. I should have been haggling with my insurance company. I should have been upset about my nice, neat, flaming little shit. But I wasn't. - Narrator "Fight Club"

We are all part of the same compost heap. - Tyler Durden "Fight Club"

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't want to flood this area with my favorite quotations (mostly because I'm lazy), but here is one quotation that almost always finds its way into my signature space at forums:

“Tomorrow, every Fault is to be amended; but that Tomorrow never comes.”

— Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack

• 3 years later...

"In a world without God, we are left to accept.
Our own responsibility, for our own fate.

The glory of our successes, as well as stings of our failures.

We learn that the, "Footsteps In The Sand," were indeed our own.

A testament to our own ability, to survive anything.
What we have survived up until now, demonstrates that we are the architects of our fate."

Lance A Sievert