Shinigami, Soul Reaper, or Death God?

Koby

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

I typcally say Shinigami probably because I perfer the subbed version. Death god sounds cool, but doesn't sound quite as "fitting" as shinigami even though it is the Japanese to English translation. Soul reaper sounds rather cheesey to me, but it probably just comes down to what people are used to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shinigami just sounds scarier to me O.O Soul reaper and Death God arent that bad, but shinigami was the original, so I'm with shinigami.

For the record the only reason Shinigami was the original is that it's a Japanese word and the others aren't. It translates to Death God, but in the English language was have the name Soul Reaper for that meaning and thus why it was used in the English translation. Shinigami is the Japanese word, Death God is the English translation of Shinigami, and Soul Reaper is the name of a Death God in the English Language. So they all really mean the exact same thing, and neither can really be considered the original as it's simply referred to as Shinigami since Bleach is made in Japan and thus the only Japanese word for it was obviously used. If it had been made in an English speaking country then Soul Reaper would have been the default.

What it all comes down to is simple fan preference, in which most simply prefer whichever is used in whichever version they watch. Thus dub watchers prefer Soul Reaper, sub/Japanese watchers prefer Shinigami, and Death God as the literal translation that wasn't used anywhere is simply left out and only chosen by those that think all Japanese words should be translated but only done so to their 'literal' meaning without turning it into English aka the Engrish lovers.

• 2 months later...

I'm fine with just soul reapers, it made sense to me when I first started watching it on adultswim. after seeing the subs and all, shinigami and death god sounded a bit to extreme. They don't actually kill a lot of things and they are no where near god like. So soul reaper to me meant that they had some sort of duty to guide or take souls.

as I remember it, it was their job to send the good souls to one place and dispose of the others that turned into hollows. sounds pretty reaperish to me.

I started with the dub so I seem to prefer Soul Reaper. Watching subs now, but most people seem to translate it to Soul Reaper anyway (at least all the ones I've been watching)

also this:

They don't actually kill a lot of things and they are no where near god like. So soul reaper to me meant that they had some sort of duty to guide or take souls.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...