Shinigami, Soul Reaper, or Death God?

Koby

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i always think they should keep some of the Japanese words in English dubbed series especially things that are names...

you wouldnt change a name of a person or place to English translation so why do it with names of a species...

so i say it should be Shinigami not death god or soul reaper...

i always think they should keep some of the Japanese words in English dubbed series especially things that are names...

you wouldnt change a name of a person or place to English translation so why do it with names of a species...

so i say it should be Shinigami not death god or soul reaper...

I agree on the aspect that certain things should not be translated, but I disagree on this being one of them. It's not like it's a name for something, it's simply the Japanese word for a general term. Unlike in Soul Eater where Shinigami-sama was his name (and FUNimation fucked this up by changing his name to Death Reaper or something can't remember).

I'm one of the minority who think that 'Soul Reaper' sounds better. When I say 'Shinigami' I think of powerful beings of a different magnitude like Ryuk from Death Note. I don't consider all of the people within the Seretei as Shinigami or Death Gods because they're not! Maybe the Captains can be considered as 'Gods' but how about all of the subordinates? Are they really Gods? Should they be called Gods? In my opinion no. Soul Reaper sounds better and it makes sense to class them all as that. To call Kenpachi Zaraki and 'Billy from Squad 10' both 'Gods' seems... weird...

However, to class them both as Soul Reapers seems logical. That's my personal opinion though and I DO accept that I'm in the minority :)

I'm one of the minority who think that 'Soul Reaper' sounds better. When I say 'Shinigami' I think of powerful beings of a different magnitude like Ryuk from Death Note. I don't consider all of the people within the Seretei as Shinigami or Death Gods because they're not! Maybe the Captains can be considered as 'Gods' but how about all of the subordinates? Are they really Gods? Should they be called Gods? In my opinion no. Soul Reaper sounds better and it makes sense to class them all as that. To call Kenpachi Zaraki and 'Billy from Squad 10' both 'Gods' seems... weird...

However, to class them both as Soul Reapers seems logical. That's my personal opinion though and I DO accept that I'm in the minority :)

You realize Soul Reaper is just the English name for what Shinigami represents, right? Meaning Soul Reaper, Death God, and Shinigami all have the EXACT same meaning therefore making your whole point invalid.

You realize Soul Reaper is just the English name for what Shinigami represents, right? Meaning Soul Reaper, Death God, and Shinigami all have the EXACT same meaning therefore making your whole point invalid.

Yeah I do realise that Soul reaper is a rough translation of Shinigami. When I think of a Soul reaper, I think of the grim reaper or something along those lines. One that brings the dead to the afterlife. It just doesn't seem to be the role of a 'God'. Gods are almighty beings yet in Bleach, you can go to school to become one. What I mean is that the term 'Soul Reaper' just seems to make more sense, for me anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I believe the terminology used depends upon the person saying it. Death God is the direct literal translation of Shinigami. "Soul Reaper" is the term used by the Soul Reapers themselves to refer to themselves and to their fellow Soul Reapers. "Death God" is the term used by humans, bounts, arrancars and other beings to refer to Soul Reapers. But I think they all sound cool and all means the same.