Gun Control

Vivi Kailo

I had to do a report on this subject a few weeks ago and i defended it because well my family owns guns. Basically I see no problem owning them because if you are going to use them for crimes such as robbery or murder what can you do to stop them because before you know that they would actually do it it has already happened. I read some info that there were plans found where anyone could make a submachine gun I can't remeber the name of the article or the type of submachinegun but a person in the U.S could build it for less han 20$ and they could easily get a hold of the materials to do it. Anyways gun control just seems unrealistic but uping ammo prices could really do a number on gun owners...

implementing any kind of gun control laws will only make it more difficult for the responsible gun owners who obey the laws to own firearms. Almost all weapons used for criminal acts were/are obtained illegally and will still be just as easily obtained through black markets if a strict gun control law is passed.

besides...it's how you perceive the law that will make it hard to implement cause remember all law are not absolute and when it comes to firearms people will always find ways to exploit it's usage but think of this for a second would anyone risk giving a weapon to kid...except terrorists, rebels, and illegal militia...though i was a part of a militia

• 2 months later...

First of all, Taking guns away from civilians does nonthing to reduce gun violence (Most criminals when they rob banks, Usually use Automatics, which are Highly illegal here in the US) as Criminals don't usually get them from Gun Stores (Espically Repeat offenders, they would be banned from owning a gun license which would be required to buy one from a Gun Shop) but instead get them from illegal gun dealers Which they usually sell Military grade weaponry (Examples include M4 Carbines, Kalashnikov automatic rifles (aka AK-47, the 47 stands for 1947 in which the first Model of AK-47 was built) etc) whereas usually in gun stores it 9mm handguns and Semi-automatic Rifles.

Secondly, Even if we were to Get rid of All guns in the world, Anything can be used as a weapon. Hell if i wanted to, i could use my Laptop as a Weapon of choice, Or hell even my Monitor or keyboard.

TL;DR, Gun control just gets guns out of the hands of innocent civilians and puts them in the hands of criminals, AND anything can be used as a weapon of murder, theres no stopping it.

Gun Control laws seem less like something to keep people safe and more to help the ignorant masses sleep st night. In the area that I grew up, most of the people who had guns bought them from a guy in a burned out apartment building. Regardless of laws they still have these guns. Why? Because a Gun Control law wouldn't get rid of the guns, only set up penalties if law enforcement catches you with them. Even if they did manage to get rid of all of them it takes about 5 minutes to find directions for a Zip Gun (an ink pen made to fire .22 cal bullets) or if you can't get bullets, to make a makeshift cannon with the the capacity to put a frozen orange through a picket fence. and trust me, they will have a hard time getting pipes and ink pens outlawed.

• 2 months later...

I don't think people should be able to have guns to protect themselves it just leads to a neverending cycle where people need to have a gun to protect themselves because so much of the population have guns, I think people should be able to get a gun license for hunting only. And you can't just simply say "guns don't kill people, people kill people" because a gun is a powerful weapon that was made to be able to kill, yes people do commit murder but guns makes it so much easier.

Also I remember reading somewhere that when gun laws were made more strict in Australia the suicide rate dropped quite a bit. I live in Australia and I know people can still get guns illegally but it still drops the rate at which people get killed by guns, and because guns are banned in Australia people don't get scared into thinking they need one, I have never known anyone who's ever thought they needed something to protect them or their family.

Guns are not the problem in crime, nor are they a solution to it. Yes, violent crime is lower in areas where most people own at least one gun, but unless you are carrying the gun where you can easily get to it, it wouldn't do you any good if someone did attack you.

I am against gun control laws overall, not because I have one or want one, but because all they would do is help the criminal element get what they want safer (For them at least, because they would know that no one has a gun)

Also, to those talking about the government as though it were an entirely benevolent force, remember this.. A government is a body of people, usually notably ungoverned.

Well, since the buyback program and ban on guns was enforced in 1997 Australias homicide count by any means has decreased and homicide by guns has also decreased.

In some instances a gun may save your life but it can also edanger your life, if your house or your store was being burgaled and you pulled a gun out on someone who also had a gun you'd just be provoking them to shoot you, and you may accidently kill someone that had no intention of hurting you and just wanted money.

Me and the misses had a discussion about this a few months back since I have a passing hobby of going out to shoot targets with my revolver or 9mm every so often. However she does not believe it will keep us safe and it will only endanger our future children.

I see that guns are dangerous in families as small children, teenagers, or just a pissed of relative can grab them to do serious harm to themselves or others even if locked up and hidden. For me though, if a criminal ever broke into my home I would like to at least be equipped with a weapon of equal or greater value to the criminal's weapon.

Gun control never seems to stop criminals from obtaining them so the only reason is to stop people who may one day snap and have a lapse in judgment.

My solution: Live in a good neighborhood close to a police station and get a security system. Problem solved.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gun control is impossible in the U.S. The right to bear arms in ingrained in us and there are simply too many around to get them all. The only ones hurt by gun control are the law abiding. The criminals will still get guns and use them, but the law abiding will be defenseless. There should be mandatory safety classes before a person is allowed to buy a gun though. Too many idiots start twirling their guns around or playing Rambo without thinking about safety. In all honesty I admit to twirling my gun a time or two, but I make sure it is empty and check the chamber also. There is something wrong with the male mind that can't help but play with weapons.

I personally have no need for a (real) gun, and I don't really ever want to use a (real) gun. I have no problem if a responsible person wants to use a gun though. As long as they have the right reasons (Hunting, Self-Defense, etc.).

AIRSOFT/NERF GUNS FTW!! =D

...sorry...had to add that. XD

I am neither for nor against gun control. What I am against is a lack of common sense. A gun is useless if the criminal with a gun already has the drop on you. He/she will rob you and you have just given them another gun. Or if the criminal thinks you have a gun he/she will shoot first and rob your corpse. I live in Chicago. I have lived in Detroit.

We have had running gun battles down some streets. In one instance, the law abiding citizen started shooting down the street at the prep forgetting other people are on the street. He ended up hitting a little girl. Lack of common sense! To quote another superhero: With Great Power comes Great responsibility.

If you own a gun use common sense. Too often our emotions get in the way of our judgment.

I live in Chicago. There are people (in gangs) who will shoot you for wearing the wrong color or looking funny at them

the issue with gun control is that its workin on the wrong audience. gangs and criminals still got em while good honest americans are forced to give em up. leaves em defenceless. dont take it wrong there are alot of retards and absolute ignorant assholes that shouldnt be alowed to own anything gun related. simple mandatory classes and training can work too. switzerland is a good example of gun control. every citizen is requiered to own at least one weapon. there is literally almost no crime there. california is one of the states with the strictest gun control laws and it has one of the highest crime rates in the country. i own alot of guns. but i can take me all apart fix em and reassemble them without issues. common sense. perfect examply this 12 year old girl was at home in folsom california. two men entered and started stealing things she ran to her parents rom and grabbed the 12 guage shotgun by her dads dresser. she came out pumped the shotgun. one man dropped to the floor the other lifted the gun at her. she fired killing him the other man was arrested. she protected her house at 12 years of age form to bad guys. not to get all preachy but its one good story. usually people who are for strict gun control never once had any issue at home or were at home defenceless. sorry im done ranting

i believe in gun control in certain ways. i mean i live in europe, in a country with very strict gun control rules and the crime rate that involves firearms is minscule compared to many other countries. but thats cause very few people have guns so i have no need for a gun to feel safe. where i live if anyone has a weapon, its a knife or bat or whatever. i, for instance collect knives and swords so i wouldnt have any problems...^.^

but if i lived in a country with much less strigent laws, like the US, i would rather be armed with a gun in ma house or on ma person as the chances of coming across someone else that has one is much more likly. and i firmly believe in the saying "never bring a knife to a gun fight!"...lol

infantry11Bravo post illustrates the point in my previous post. The 12 year old girl was trained to use the gun and had the opportunity to do so. Inside the house she can blow them into the next life. Here the law interprets this act as self defense, but if the criminals had left the house and were proceeding down the sidewalk she would not be able to fire, legally. She would no longer be in immediate danger of her life and by firing could endanger other people. If a nation is going to have guns some gun laws are a necessity. For example everyone cannot own fully automatic rifles or machine guns.

The laws serve two purposes: 1. it gives the ability to prosecute those parties that are guilty of violating them which includes the criminal element (and sometimes well intentioned individuals). 2. It provides guidelines to law abiding citizens on what is acceptable and what crosses the line.

The debate comes in when defining what is acceptable. What may be acceptable to the citizens in Texas, may or may not be acceptable to the citizens in Illinois.

The Constitution gives the right to bear arms, but it not say that that right could not be regulated. States and in some instances the federal government have the duty to protect the citizenry.

There are instances where guns are very useful and instances where they are not. Just recently in one of the neighborhoods of Chicago a convenience store was held up. The prep came in firing right at the clerk behind the counter. It was known that the clerk kept a gun behind the counter which he used ward off other hold up attempts. The prep simply took him out of the equation. The prep jump behind the counter, took the money from the register and the gun. The prep then walk calmly out the store. Luckily the clerk lived.

The gun is not the problem. Almost anything can be made into a weapon. I would rather face a knife than a gun any day. With a knife most people have to get up close and personal. A gun kills at a distance and you may not even see it coming.