How's your hard drive doing?

joske

Raid sets up the same data to multiple drives, whats the offchance all your hdds go out at once? Yeah, backup your data up to disc or tape is the perferred method in the IT world. Tape drives weren't exactly cheap, last I looked at them. Blurays aren't too bad for your value

Blurays last longer than dvds and are somewhat scratch resistant. Less prone to those tiny scratches that dvds accumulate. Not too mention Blurays have a really long shelf life. I just wish the 100gb blurays would come down in price. Ive been using the 25gigs/50gigs from digistor, which weren't too bad in price and they still work after a few years from backing them up. So they seem to hold up to me.

Also to mention the major difference in those Bluray sizes are the layers that they add to them, makes them harder to burn and produce. Sort of why their prices for the 100gb are pretty high. 25 gig (single layer), 50 gig(two layers), and 100 gig (quad layers)

I haven't really used raid, just listened to the IT instructor back from college mentioning his experiences with data backups and using raid for data redundancy. The same data shared across multiple drives in turn means when one drive goes out, you have multiple drives that still have your data. Also helps that when you experience high i/o from customers that you have multiple drives with the same data spread out, supposedly increases read speed. Just slower when you have to make writes to all the different drives. There's several different types that you can setup, depending on how many hdds you have and what your using raid for.

I just don't have multiple hdds laying around to tinker with raid, sort of not cost effective as I am not dealing with tons of data. Though my steam library does leave me with several terabytes to backups. Games these days are massive. Origin and Uplay need a better backup method for games. That copy and paste junk doesn't work well. 

Edited by zeondx

7 hours ago, Tanis said:

Anyone have any sites that tell how much longer ssd vs hdd last?

I don't have any sites. But, I can give you IRL experience.

SSD's at this point are about as reliable as a HDD. What this means is, SSD's do fail. SSD's usually fail do to the Controller IC failing over time and use. Yes, SSD's are more durable the HDD's when it comes to physical damage (Head Crashes, Dropping the HD, etc.), but when it comes to the electronics this is not true.

Right now, there are only 2 manufacturers of SSD's I recommend to our clients. They are Intel (Overly Expensive) and Samsung (Expensive, but worth the price). Why pick Intel or Samsung? Because if the Controller IC does fail, they are usually recoverable.

I hope this information helps you,

P.S.

Backup your data, to be safe. Also, use the SSD as a boot device and programs drive if all possible.

• Like 1

Best options for backups is to always have everything stored in 2 locations completely separate from each other. RAID is a good tool that can make life a lot easier if one drive goes up but there is always a risk with the drives being in the same place on the same media.

• Like 1

Ssd's do have a theoretical write limit vs hdds. Essentially when you run out writes, that drives done. Your data from the last bit of writes will still read, but no more writing stuff to the drive. The amount of writes is dependent on the size of the drives and the manufactorers. Yep, it matters where/whom you buy your ssds. From mentioned before, Samsung and Intel are the notably better brands to buy from. Ssds are not so affected by drops or movement, do that to a physical hdd. Welp, you probably lose every bit or byte of your data. Ssds are all flash memory, which is prevalent in things that use Nands to hold important software updates. Hdds have physically moving parts, so there's that issue to worry about with external hdds. Especially the external 3.5 hdds with a power source. External ssds are pretty amazing. Samsung makes a decent set of portable ssds that are nice to carry around.

Oh yeah, there's different types of ssds these days. There's the conventional 2.5 ssd, m.2 ssd(looks like a stick and used mostly for laptops for space concerns), and pcie ssds. Intel makes some overly pricey pcie ssds, which have some insane writes and reads. Also its due to the fact pcie is faster than sata 6.

Also I do think that ssds record how much data that has been written. Somewhere in the warranty for most ssds, it will mention that it only covers until certain threshold of data has been written to the drive. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KillianBass said:

Well I recently Purchased 3 4TB drives as the 2TB drive I Had for music had filled and the 4TB for anime also had filled I needed more space for both, but the way I'm downloading both it seems I may need more storage by the end of the year. ha ha ha it seems I might just be a data hoarder

If you're archiving anime in 1080p, you're doing it wrong.

Watch 1080, archive 720.

3 minutes ago, NeutralHatred said:

If you're archiving anime in 1080p, you're doing it wrong.

Watch 1080, archive 720.

Nah, watch 4K, archive 1080p. ;) 720p is like the new 480p. Only reason it's hanging on now is due to people worried about the size of 1080p; which could be cut down if people opted to utilize lossy audio instead if they were concerned about size over quality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DabDeity710 said:

Exactly ppl don't realize they'd b happy with 192-320kbps audio tracks. Not me tho lossless all day glorious bloated 1080p lossless master race all day I need all the pixels all the bitrate

when you have more storage then I do come talk to me untill then have fun with your drives in the red