How's your hard drive doing?

joske

On 8/31/2018 at 3:47 PM, SakuraChan said:

operation download the internet is more or less haulted as i dont know what else to grab, 52TB free space, got my 24 bay 2.5" diskshelf online awaiting drives, had to wait for the $40 special SAS cable to come in to connect to an LSI controller and the diskshelf is Netapp branded so yah fun times

I'll admit it, I'm drooling. 

Gonna be starting up my threadripper store-box build this week, as the final parts finish roll in (currently 16TB RAID-Z, but planning to expand it to 32 TB). Really excited.

52 minutes ago, MinimumHedgehog said:

I'll admit it, I'm drooling. 

Gonna be starting up my threadripper store-box build this week, as the final parts finish roll in (currently 16TB RAID-Z, but planning to expand it to 32 TB). Really excited.

threadripper NAS uh waste of money, and the 2x network cards, get yourself a quad socket 1gbit or a 10GbE card + switch then maybe if just a NAS threadripper can be used for something else completely different

8 hours ago, SakuraChan said:

threadripper NAS uh waste of money, and the 2x network cards, get yourself a quad socket 1gbit or a 10GbE card + switch then maybe if just a NAS threadripper can be used for something else completely different

Well, NAS + render + transcoder box. I had the 3x8TB RAID-Z setup on my dual-booted desktop, but for some reason I've been having a hard time getting Ubuntu working consistently after a MoBo + CPU replacement (Windows survived it without caring, though, which impressed me), so I've been planning to make a ZFS NAS for a while and been drooling over the threadripper for a while, so... yeah...

My friend is gonna be using it remotely for CGI rendering and I tend to do a fair amount of FFmpeg transcoding, so it won't be entirely going to waste, but yeah, realistically speaking, most of its clock-cycles will most likely be spent on BOINC / Folding@Home.

I may go for a 10GbE card eventually, but that would require upgrading the rest of my home networking environment and, even then, the bottleneck would be hard drive speed (or my measly 9.5-10 Mbps internet upload speed). Main reason for the multiple network cards is as active-backup. 

Edited by MinimumHedgehog