Anime Archiving: 1080p or 720p

Vash1306

139 members have voted

1. 1. Anime Archiving: 1080p or 720p

• 1080p
    • 720p
    • Depends on the Series
    • 480p

When archiving, which is essentially backing up, I prefer just using smaller sizes, no matter the resolution. 480p is fine for that, but 720p is the highest I will go with resolution, since the advantage of 1080p over 720p isn't that great except on really large screens, like a 50 inch or larger screen. Storage space would also be an issue and a lot of 1080p over 720p are a difference of around 50% more for the 1080 over 720 (for example, 800MB per episode vs 1.2-1.4GB per episode.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2017 at 5:13 PM, Sevaspeto said:

Always 1080p, I only watch anime on my projector and watch on the wall. It's over 120 inches and anything less than 1080p sometimes looks blocky and I prefer the quality. I have multiple nas drives completely full of anime. Even ones I'll probably never get to watch. 

That is likely what they meant, unless they are rich and live in a mansion or something, since 120 inches is 10ft, which is an average room wall length. You can use a projector on a wall that long, but it is NOT recommended to make it that big. It would also be much dimmer and have to be over 10 ft from the wall with a lot of room for things to get in the way blocking out what is being shown

• 2 weeks later...

I'm usually not too picky when it comes to anime quality, 720p is ideal but recently I was trying to figure out which Doki Clannad release I should archive and found 1080p to be lifechanging. Also, I wished I checked out the 1080p first cause I made the mistake of dling the 480 and 720p release instead! Idiot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I mostly choose 1080p but sometimes the file size ratio of 1080p/720p is too big. If file size of 1080p is only 2 or 3 times bigger than 720p, I choose 1080p.

For shows that 1080p is 4 or 5 times larger than 720p and are not very special in terms of content and story, I pick 720p release.

Sometimes making these compromises are very difficult for me.