• 720p
    • Depends on the Series
    • 480p

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I prefer whatever the creators of the show present as being the "way it was meant to be seen." That is, if a show is produced in 720p but shown on television and released to home video as a 1080p upscale, I'll probably take the 1080p version even thought it isn't the "native" format, because that's the way the publisher and developer intended for it to be seen.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 11:22 AM, PhoenixPress said:

I prefer whatever the creators of the show present as being the "way it was meant to be seen." That is, if a show is produced in 720p but shown on television and released to home video as a 1080p upscale, I'll probably take the 1080p version even thought it isn't the "native" format, because that's the way the publisher and developer intended for it to be seen.

But isn't that a contradiction? If a show was made in 720p (not that I'm aware of any such shows) it was intended to be seen in no higher than 720p...

14 minutes ago, mcmxcixmm said:

But isn't that a contradiction? If a show was made in 720p (not that I'm aware of any such shows) it was intended to be seen in no higher than 720p...

A lot of anime from 2000-2010 was made digitally in SD, and so can't be rescanned at higher resolutions, thus only option is to "upscale".

Anime before that time was mostly animated on film and can simply be rescanned at a higher resolution to be legit HD, as you've seen so many older animation having been done. While anime after this time period mostly is at least 720p, so it's only this one decade that really suffered.

When it comes to anime however, even in 2018, most anime series are NOT animated at 1080p. We generally get 1 out of every 25 series animated in 1080p. The rest generally being 720p to 810p productions, with some being 900p or some other random resolution.

Shoot in 2018, we've still had a couple anime series such as Megalo Box that was animated in SD at 480p.

Regardless of animated/native resolution, they still get upscaled to 1080p for streaming and blu-rays.

We have a few 4K anime Blu-rays, but all of them are basically 1080p upscales with HDR. I'm not sure if we have any legit 4K anime.

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2018 at 9:52 AM, mcmxcixmm said:

It's not a contradiction. Even though the content is being produced at 720p, it's being produced with the knowledge that it's going to be upscaled to at least 1080p. In that sense, upscaling is part of the intention.