Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (2nd GIG & SAC_2045)

unerasable sin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I hate to break it to you, but they are adding more to the series Lion'sTower. :P

It'll be called Ghost in the Shell: ARISE.  It's still unknown if this'll be the much wanted 3rd season, or if it's just a spin off.  We'll learn more in February.

l_50f5941ae5857.jpg

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, Vaux said:

GitS: Arise

GitS:Stand alone complex 1

GitS:Stand alone complex 2

Movie 1

Movie 2

Think that's about right. Their working on Arise atm so you might have to wait a lil longer if you want too see it from the start

Arise might be set before the rest in chronological order; but doesn't it assume you've already been introduced to the characters and know about the GitS universe? If so it'd probably be a pretty poor starting point for those just getting into it. I don't know though as I haven't seen Arise yet myself. However I started with the original 2 movies before watching the series.

• Like 2

Ghost in the Shell (GitS) "series" have multiple alternative settings, that may include details and events that go against each other, so some of content can be viewed separately.

The simplest option would be to watch in order they where released:

• Ghost in the Shell (1995) (or 2008)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - The Laughing Man)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG (or Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG - Individual Eleven)
  • Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society
  • Ghost in the Shell Arise: Alternative Architecture (updated version of Ghost in the Shell: Arise)
  • Ghost in the Shell: The Movie (2015)

Chronological order (to my knowledge):

• Ghost in the Shell Arise: Alternative Architecture (updated version of Ghost in the Shell: Arise)
  • Ghost in the Shell: The Movie (2015) (I have not watched this one, so I don't know where it fits in, but should be after Arise)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - The Laughing Man)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG (or Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG - Individual Eleven)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society

Chronologically by setting:

• Setting 1
  • Ghost in the Shell (1995) (or 2008)
  • Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (this fits pretty well in multiple settings, but is considered continuation of first movie)

• Setting 2
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - The Laughing Man)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG (or Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG - Individual Eleven)

• Setting 3

There is also Ghost in the Shell Arise Pyrophoric Cult, but I think it should be part of Alternative Architecture. I have only watched first episode of Arise, so I don't know how well it fits in timeline mentioned, but it is intended as a prequel.

18 minutes ago, Koby said:

Arise might be set before the rest in chronological order; but doesn't it assume you've already been introduced to the characters and know about the GitS universe? If so it'd probably be a pretty poor starting point for those just getting into it. I don't know though as I haven't seen Arise yet myself. However I started with the original 2 movies before watching the series.

If i remember correctly the story doesnt assume anything really in fact at several points in Arise Makoto faces off against those who would later become her subordinates

Arise pretty much so far shows how the characters first come into contact with each other, and then Stand Alone builds on that to show how the team is built.

I watched them in the order they were released, but I think you could really watch them in any order, I don't think they really drop you in the deep end story wise. They all seem to have there own little arc, there's just a bigger picture to be seen when you understand the characters and their relationships

6 hours ago, Hark0n said:

Ghost in the Shell (GitS) "series" have multiple alternative settings, that may include details and events that go against each other, so some of content can be viewed separately.

The simplest option would be to watch in order they where released:

• Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - The Laughing Man)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG (or Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG - Individual Eleven)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society

Chronological order (to my knowledge):

• Ghost in the Shell: The Movie (2015) (I have not watched this one, so I don't know where it fits in, but should be after Arise)

Chronologically by setting:

• Setting 1
  • Ghost in the Shell (1995) (or 2008)
  • Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (this fits pretty well in multiple settings, but is considered continuation of first movie)

• Setting 2

• Setting 3

There is also Ghost in the Shell Arise Pyrophoric Cult, but I think it should be part of Alternative Architecture. I have only watched first episode of Arise, so I don't know how well it fits in timeline mentioned, but it is intended as a prequel.

How many episodes does Ghost in the Shell Arise: Alternative Architecture have? When I looked for bd version(by commie) it only showed 9,10 episodes. What of the rest? 

4 minutes ago, indiangamer007 said:

How many episodes does Ghost in the Shell Arise: Alternative Architecture have? When I looked for bd version(by commie) it only showed 9,10 episodes. What of the rest? 

No one bothered to do 1-8 because it was the exact same content as the Arise movies 1-4; no changes besides maybe a few scene cuts.

The movies would probably have a little more scenes due to a longer timespan of about 5 minutes but that might be due to credits.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Many of my friends and other have recomended me the anime ghost in the shell. But i have no clue on what order to watch the show and movies. From start to finnish to understand the story line and plot of the series/movies  to the fullest. So anyone in here have rewatched it on the right order it was released when regarding to the story line?  if so could you explain what order i should watch it in? :)

It's kind of like different versions that don't really go together in the same timeline.

You can watch the first two movies, Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence separately from any of the rest of the franchise.

Then you can watch the Stand Alone Complex and SAC Second GIG along with the Solid State Society movie. The other films like Individual Eleven and The Laughing Man are just alternate versions of the big arcs in the series.

Then there is the Arise series which also kind of stands on it's own and doesn't require watching anything other. Watch the movie versions and not the TV version though as there is more scenes. Movies 1-4, then you have episode 9-10 of the series also known as Pyrophoric Cult. Then lastly you have the Ghost in the Shell New Movie (2015) that follows up the Arise series.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Koby said:

It's kind of like different versions that don't really go together in the same timeline.

You can watch the first two movies, Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence separately from any of the rest of the franchise.

Then you can watch the Stand Alone Complex and SAC Second GIG along with the Solid State Society movie. The other films like Individual Eleven and The Laughing Man are just alternate versions of the big arcs in the series.

Then there is the Arise series which also kind of stands on it's own and doesn't require watching anything other. Watch the movie versions and not the TV version though as there is more scenes. Movies 1-4, then you have episode 9-10 of the series also known as Pyrophoric Cult. Then lastly you have the Ghost in the Shell New Movie (2015) that follows up the Arise series.

thanks for the reply i found this really helpfull was really confused on how to watch this

• Like 1

I like to watch things on chronological order, which in the case of Ghost in the Shell is:

1. Ghost in the Shell : Arise (2015 OVA) : Set in 2027, it sees the origins of Public Security Section 9 and how many of the characters got to know each other. The TV version that Koby mentions is called "Alternative Architecture" expands the story a little, but I feel like it was unnecessary, as it bloats the series.
  2. Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie (2015 Movie): Concludes the Pyrophoric Cult arc from Arise. 
  3. Ghost in the Shell (1995 Movie): Set in 2030, is an adaptation of the Puppet Master story from the manga. Watch the original version, not the 2008 remake because things were better back then, dammit.
  4. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and 2nd GiG (2002-2004 Anime): From 2030 to 2032, follows "The Laughing Man" Incident and its consequences. As Koby mentioned, Individual Eleven and The Laughing Man are just abbreviated versions of the anime. Watch them if you are in a hurry.
  5. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (2004 Movie): Also set in 2032, but should be watched after 2nd GiG because spoilers.
  6. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex − Solid State Society (2006 TV Movie): Set in 2034. There is also a 3D version released in 2011, if you like.
  • Like 3

• Koby changed the title to Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (2nd GIG & SAC_2045)