Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (2nd GIG & SAC_2045)

unerasable sin

You've been provided two options. I would personally go with Koby's suggestion, if only because it's my personal opinion that the Arise series is horrible and shouldn't have been made, and I would hate for someone to needlessly start with what I consider to the worst of the franchise as a whole.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arise, Pyrophoric Cult, and New Movie all fit in that order as part of the Arise series; which is set as somewhat a prequel to the SAC series as it details how Section 9 came to be.

Then you've got Stand Alone Complex, SAC 2nd Gig, and Solid State Society in that order.

The Individual Eleven and Laughing Man movies are just recaps of the best arcs in the SAC series.

The original 1995 movie and it's sequel GitS 2: Innocence go together in their own sort of 'movie universe'. Definitely worth watching though...

Even though Arise is set first in the timeline in several ways... I'd actually recommend you watch the 1995 movie and it's sequel as a starting point to the franchise. Then watch the SAC series, then Arise last. This is the production order, and despite the chronological order, each entity is kind of really it's own thing, and as such Arise really kind of expects you to have knowledge of the series or the characters that you'd likely be missing out on if you tried watching it first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koby said:

Arise, Pyrophoric Cult, and New Movie all fit in that order as part of the Arise series; which is set as somewhat a prequel to the SAC series as it details how Section 9 came to be.

Then you've got Stand Alone Complex, SAC 2nd Gig, and Solid State Society in that order.

The Individual Eleven and Laughing Man movies are just recaps of the best arcs in the SAC series.

The original 1995 movie and it's sequel GitS 2: Innocence go together in their own sort of 'movie universe'. Definitely worth watching though...

Even though Arise is set first in the timeline in several ways... I'd actually recommend you watch the 1995 movie and it's sequel as a starting point to the franchise. Then watch the SAC series, then Arise last. This is the production order, and despite the chronological order, each entity is kind of really it's own thing, and as such Arise really kind of expects you to have knowledge of the series or the characters that you'd likely be missing out on if you tried watching it first.

Thanks

• 4 months later...
  • Koby changed the title to Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (2nd GIG & SAC_2045)

I've been seeing a lot of people trashing on GitS SAC_2045 for numerous reasons, but mainly the decision to go full CG, in which they blame the fact that it's on Netflix as the reason. However that was entirely Production I.G.'s choice. Other complaints is that SAC_2045 seems to focus more on action and less on the philosophy aspects that made Ghost in the Shell so beloved in the first place.

I can say from watching the show that most of these complaints are unfounded. As of episode 6 more of the philosophical side of the story starts to show up in the plot and you get used to the CG eventually, which while looking fairly dated in design actually moves very smoothly most of the time and feels much natural than past anime CG productions that felt like they were moving at 12fps.

Loving SAC_2045 and I'm happy to have another entry into the Ghost in the Shell franchise. Looking forward to part 2 whenever it hits Netflix. There's no date set yet, but it was already confirmed to be getting another 12 episodes.