Need freeware for syncing and muxing audio and video

Afternoon Nap

I was just trying to figure this out myself yesterday (with no luck).  :sad:

I had two different rips of the same Cartoon episode and wanted to combine the audio from one with the video from the other.

1st rip had GOOD quality Video but SPANISH Audio.

2nd rip had POOR quality Video but ENGLISH Audio.

How do I combine the English audio with the Good quality Video and SYNC them?

The running time is nearly a minute difference between the two rips so I tried to play with the "time delay" option to sync them up.  The problem is that as soon as I synced one part of the audio and video, the rest was even more un-synced.  I think this has to do with the different FPS of the two videos.  Somehow the audio file needs to be either expanded or compressed to to match the fps of the Good Video file, but I have no idea how to do that.

Would any of the software programs mentioned above be able to do that?

If you want to do an mkv video you can do the follow: 1: Open the 1st rip in some video editor, delete the audio and conserve the video. 2: Open the 2nd rip and delete the video but conserve the audio. 3: Now edit the audio with zoom for do an perfect synchronization with the video. 4: Save only the synchronized audio without the video. 5: Open mkvmerge and add the 1st rip and the synchronized audio, later clear the spanish audio if you wish and start muxing.

In all cases, you should be using these programs to get the delay and then using your muxer to set it. If you cant do this, then you should be using a lossless source for audio (i.e. audio ripped from a Blu-Ray or an existing FLAC track; DVD audio is not lossless). If you cant use a lossless source and you must edit the track at certain points, you will end up re-encoding and therefore further decreasing the quality of your file.

Of course using MPC-HC (or any other media player that supports delay) is the poor mans way of doing things.

You should use Adobe Audition or Audacity (freeware) if you want to do things right. Or, if you only have video + un-synced audio, use Sony Vegas.

Using Sony vegas to sync... :o thats a great Idea but It has a tiny little problem. SV supports only a selective codec & format. It definitely doesnt support mkv so u 1st need to de-mux the file & then re-mux it in supported format such as mp4. Which is not a big problem. But there is another problem, it doesnt support 10bit which even if u re-mux it into different format. Bad part is recently most anime encodes come in 10bit. But if someone did manage to make SV support 10bit or mkv format do let me know :) . After reading this post I also tried to only input mka&ac3 format Audio but SV didnt accept those either .

As for Adobe Audition or Audacity (freeware) I really dont know much about those Audio Editing soft . I tried to use Audacity once it was rather confusing. And even if you do manage to sync it, will it be Lossless ??

Edited by bluergost

Sony Vegas should only be used if you don't have two audio tracks that you can use in Audition/Audacity. Vegas is about as accurate as using MPC-HC, and should be avoided when possible.

Again, you should only be using these applications to get the delay and then setting that delay when you mux. You should not be using them to encode anything. The exception is when you have to make multiple edits in the middle of a track. In that case, you should have sourced a lossless track. If that doesn't exist or you're lazy, be prepared to loose quality and have people bitch at you.

Sony Vegas should only be used if you don't have two audio tracks that you can use in Audition/Audacity. Vegas is about as accurate as using MPC-HC, and should be avoided when possible.

Again, you should only be using these applications to get the delay and then setting that delay when you mux. You should not be using them to encode anything. The exception is when you have to make multiple edits in the middle of a track. In that case, you should have sourced a lossless track. If that doesn't exist or you're lazy, be prepared to loose quality and have people bitch at you.

Speaking from experience I see :P

BTW between Audition & Sound forge(sony) which one do you think will be better. I have used Photo Shop& After effects but not that used to them yet. On the other hand I am pretty used to Sony Vegas . :)

I tried Sound Forge for all of 1 month. I liked its automation features, but that's about it. I went back to Audition (it was called Soundbooth at the time) and have been using it ever since.

You could use Vegas, but it isn't strictly an audio editing program. You can zoom in on the waveform and all that jazz, but you wouldn't want to be exporting with it.

• Like 1

I tried Sound Forge for all of 1 month. I liked its automation features, but that's about it. I went back to Audition (it was called Soundbooth at the time) and have been using it ever since.

You could use Vegas, but it isn't strictly an audio editing program. You can zoom in on the waveform and all that jazz, but you wouldn't want to be exporting with it.

What is this automation features?? ofc Vegas is not an Audio editing program because its Main purpose is Video Editing.

Ok, then I will try Audition. I never was able  to use Adobe product very efficiently :/ .

@JohnFlower

I installed Audition . But faced a problem. Remember you gave me a audio track of The Place Promised. I tried to import it in the Audition since its AC3 format & Audition does support AC3 format. Unfortunately it is not importing it... :/ Before you ask ya I already managed to sync this file with the Thor video with the ms you gave me. So, I was doing it as a practice. Does it work on yours end. If not do u know why??

@JohnFlower

I installed Audition . But faced a problem. Remember you gave me a audio track of The Place Promised. I tried to import it in the Audition since its AC3 format & Audition does support AC3 format. Unfortunately it is not importing it... :/ Before you ask ya I already managed to sync this file with the Thor video with the ms you gave me. So, I was doing it as a practice. Does it work on yours end. If not do u know why??

The delay is 7558ms. Set that in mkvmerge. You don't need Audition, only mkvtoolnix.

Alternatively you could try Wavepad (I recommend the cracked version on KAT) but of course you should support the developers. You can add silence to the beginning of the track equal to the 7558ms that JF mentioned and then just mux it with mkvtoolnix/mkvmerge.

thought we just went over the whole 're-encoding lossy audio' thing...

@JohnFlower

...I tried to import it in the Audition since its AC3 format & Audition does support AC3 format...

Im no sound encoding expert, but surely if you add silence to an AC3 track and export it as an AC3 track... then it will be the same as what you had originally, just with silence in the beginning. How does setting a delay work in Audition? Does it just play the audio track 7558ms later after the start of the video? 

When re-encoding any lossy audio track, you loose quality. There is no two ways about it.

Some programs (like eac3to) have delay features. These programs would add an unnecessary step to the process and can be ignored.

Audition doesn't have a delay per se. You would normally be using a multitrack session in which you can positively 'delay' the audio by dragging. That is inaccurate, though, so you should use the add silence feature until you have it perfectly aligned.

The delay is 7558ms. Set that in mkvmerge. You don't need Audition, only mkvtoolnix.

-_- I know its 7558ms but that for only this anime if I am not wrong. But when I try to do other series I do need to know the time I need to delay right how to find out about the delay in the Audition?? 

• 2 months later...