Policy Update: Uploaders asking for Donations

Koby

After discussing this issue with the other members of staff it has become evidently clear that we all dislike this and decided to set a new policy on the issue.

There has been a sudden sprout (namely in the Cartoon Download section) of Uploaders creating topics that have nothing to them except asking for donations to be able to buy said show so they can upload it.

If it's something you want as an uploader/encoder yourself; shouldn't you go buy it? These topics feel like it's mostly... "I want this show, donate to me so I can get it; perks for doing so is I will share it for you on file hosts". The majority of the time, these shows are already available by other means. However, sometimes rare occasions exist where they would be the only release of that specific quality (older shows with only crappy tv rips available for example).

As for the change in policy, this is where we stand on the matter:

Threads of this nature are from this point strictly forbidden unless it qualifies under the below:
  1. Staff has verified the user is legit and given permission for the fund raiser (we won't bother doing this often).
  2. The person requesting said funds is willing to provide at least 50% of the cost or has someone who has volunteered to do so first.

Also fundraising themed threads shall be kept to the Request section rather than continue to clutter the Download section.

Basically what this means, it's preferred if someone requests a show from iTunes that hasn't been done by anyone for example, you can offer to do it for them from the Request section if they'd be willing to help out with the purchase or if you'd be willing to and others can chip in if they want there as well. Or if it's something you're specifically willing to rip yourself and you'd like help purchasing it, you can put the request for donations in the Request section as long as you're willing to put up at least 50% of the cost (or if the staff has given said person verification to do as such without the need of putting up anything towards it, only a few people however will be given this right). No more threads in the download section from random users asking for donations for hundreds of shows without every actually offering anything themselves.

If you don't understand something about this change or something doesn't sit right / contradicts something / whatever; feel free to comment or argue your point, etc...

UPDATE:

Forgot to mention how we'd verify certain users.

Basically you can contact a staff member with the ability to do as such (Super Mod or Admin) and argue your case as to why you should be allowed or why a specific show should be allowed. If the staff agree, you can create the topic and the staff member could simply post in the said topic mentioning the fact that staff allowed it / verified it / whatever.

This may seem like a bit much, but our other alternative was to just absolutely not allow it at all. We figured allowing certain cases through would be better than completely banning it.

Otherwise, if we see topics of this nature pop up and it doesn't qualify in one of the two ways listed above in the box; we'll delete the thread. If the same user continues this habit, warning / suspensions shall occur.

• Like 8

I understand where your coming from

I feel if the user has credible standings and a good bandwidth they should be able to provide their services by uploading web-dl with other users without holding 50% donation rule. Not all users have the funds but they can still contribute someway. In my opinon the forum is very active because of users contributing and others helping however possible. If the concern is that they allegedly downloaded files free and kept the money for themselves than maybe a proof of purchase would be asked. A simple verification, if not able to comply a warning or other penalties shall be implement.

As for donation threads with no content posted, it should not be in the download section i agree.  I think the donation threads are fairly active and moving them to the request section will just clutter with all the requests made.  Maybe having a section just for donations would be easier to navigate.

Edited by TKK

Bullshit.

Fucking bullshit.

I disagree. I mean Cartoons' donation threads are all fine and dandy as they actually get results. However, a heap of random nobodys have been making threads lately, and they don't have a hope in hell of getting donations. Just make Cartoons one of Koby's verified thing-a-magigs and I'm completely for this.

You have a point. I have noticed a bunch of those threads showing up since summer started.

However, the whole reason I liked this place better than Cartoon World is because we could do this sort of thing without the admins getting their panties all in a wad. I'm not liking the direction this is going towards.

Most of the stuff people want donations for have other sources, but they're very shitty and not worth the effort of uploading.

As long as Cartoons (and you) get exempted from this rule, than I supposed I can live with it.

Otherwise, I'm done. I've donated several hundred dollars towards various cartoons that had either no other sources or shitty ones, but if this place becomes as stuck-up and pretentious as CW became, then I'm out of here.

You have a point. I have noticed a bunch of those threads showing up since summer started.

However, the whole reason I liked this place better than Cartoon World is because we could do this sort of thing without the admins getting their panties all in a wad. I'm not liking the direction this is going towards.

Most of the stuff people want donations for have other sources, but they're very shitty and not worth the effort of uploading.

As long as Cartoons (and you) get exempted from this rule, than I supposed I can live with it.

Otherwise, I'm done. I've donated several hundred dollars towards various cartoons that had either no other sources or shitty ones, but if this place becomes as stuck-up and pretentious as CW became, then I'm out of here.

Oh no, I don't have any interest in making donation threads, I'll leave that to Cartoons. I didn't really notice many problems on C-W, but maybe I just wasn't involved in the whole scene you were, I don't even recognize you from C-W anyway, I only know you from here.

First have to say this new rule sucks. But I get the point a little. ;)

Your reaction 'If it's something you want as an uploader/encoder yourself; shouldn't you go buy it?' is a little oversimplified. For example I don't have the money to buy them all. That's where those topics are for. If people are interested they can donate. And it is succesful, as I did start quite a lot of it and some persons donated for them. And not all those topics I'm interested in. There are requests made by PM by other people too. I have to say I like a lot of animation so yeah I'm most of the time interested . So that with your reaction 'I want this show, donate to me so I can get it; perks for doing so is I will share it for you on file hosts'.

Ofcourse everyone could take donations, purchase, download, remove DRM and upload the video files.

The point is that:

- Not everyone knows how to do it

- Not everyone wants to take the time for it

- Not everyone has a good download speed and or upload speed.

For those people are a simple donation a better option. And with that option you will have a lot better cartoon section, as there will be more different cartoons available.

Now I understand that those topics are a little messy and I would like to see a 'Donate' section if possible.

I uploaded a lot on this site in the cartoon section and I would like to continue doing so, but this 'rule', well let's say I'm less motivated now.

If you want to react on my opinion you could also PM me.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Having never gone into that section of the site, I never knew this was an actual thing that needed to be addressed. However, I do have to say the irony of the situation does make me laugh out loud.

Here we have the owner and operator of a website saying he forbids a certain thing occurring on his website, something that involves copyrighted content, and hopes people will respect his rules...when this very rule disrespects the wishes of the publishers of said copyrighted content. 

I'm vehemently anti-copyright (I'm of the belief that copyright as a concept in law should be abolished) but I can't help but see and laugh at the irony here.

LOL, were you ever actually a member of C-W? Because that sounds the total opposite. C-W admins were never around, never updated policies, never banned trolls, etc... The place was pretty much stagnate for more than 7 years since Majin Vegeta got banned for power abuse. He was the last one to really actually do anything big with the community.

Kametsu is always evolving, always discussing new things to do, things to remove or add to policy when the situation arises such as this.

Rather than respond individually to the rest of the comments I'll do it all at once. I don't think you're understanding the point. We're not stopping this stuff at this point. We're simply getting it out of the download section and placing a few restrictions on it. We don't want JoeNobody to register on the forum and 30 seconds later begging for $100 for some iTunes release he says he'll offer when he gets the money.

These regulations are simply put into place so staff can handle and remove such things as they come along without someone whining that it wasn't against the rules or that we're simply biased.

Users who've been around the community and actually shown they're capable and willing to handle such things will be given the rights to continue on as normal; aside from the fact they won't be doing it in the download section itself but in the request section; since they're basically requesting something and users who also would like to request a show could see that there is a donation start up for the show they were looking for. I think this is less cluttered than having to randomly find things of this nature in the download section where they never belonged.

So in the end it's all about who's creditable and who isn't and we're cleaning out threads that have little to no chance of users actually offering money on.

• Like 4

I think that the requester should be liable to complete the thread whether they get donations or not. This should stop the kids who don't have a steady income and rely on donations from bludging the community, but also boost users trust in them. This should garner them more donations as well.

Obviously I'm anti-kid-who-wants-donations-but-has-no-obligation-to-complete-the-request. It's basically paying for pirated material, which is a big nono in my book.

I do agree that these types of posts do clutter up the Downloads section.  I also agree that "New Members" should not be allowed to request donations at all.  Most users would probably be smart enough not to donate to them anyway, but there still should be an offical rule in place.

However users like "Cartoons" do follow through with their promises to upload the content and often contribute themselves as well.  So the rule should really be that only "Established Members" have the right to request donations.  Of course, then you have to define "Established".  It might be based on a certain post count, or length of membership to the site, or perhaps both.  Maybe even take it a step further and say that only members that have been given the "Uploader" title have the right to do this.

Regardless, I would also agree with creating a "Donation Requests" section, so these type of threads dont clutter up the Downloads section or the Regular Requests section.

Just my 2-cents  :money:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Nekone locked this topic