Steam can be a blessing or a curse

*Liz*

As the topic reads, the use of steam can be a blessing or a curse. In my personal experience I purchased a game that cost me quite a bit of money and to my disappointment, I needed to download stuff from steam. I get the fact that you need to download certain patches to the game but my internet connection speed is not that great and I was faced with hours of waiting for the game to download. Only later after a heck of a lot of research was I able to find how to install from the actual disc I bought. It felt so unnecessary.

I get the fact that steam is an awesome community where you can track your achievements and have all of your games organized into one place, but that comes at a cost of missioning your way around playing the actual game...

What are your thoughts?

With steam, you do realize that it has an offline mode that doesn't require any internet usage. Just means that you need to install games with the discs.

Personally I like steam. It keeps all my games in one place and has easy mod access. Sometimes the internet connection part is annoying, but overall I'll take the bad with the good.

With steam, you do realize that it has an offline mode that doesn't require any internet usage. Just means that you need to install games with the discs.

Personally I like steam. It keeps all my games in one place and has easy mod access. Sometimes the internet connection part is annoying, but overall I'll take the bad with the good.

I agree with this. I find steam very useful for keeping all my games together and for easy access. It also allows me to access my modded versions of Half life so I can play them. Steam can get on my nerves some times in cases where it keeps trying to load updates but fails, then retries over and over again. (restarting steam fixes it). But other than that I love Steam, one of my favourite programs on my computer.

I personally enjoy Steam quite a bit for several reasons. First of all it's nice to get games minus the extra $20, which, you probably won't find anywhere else on a regular basis. Secondly, sales galore, every day there's always something on sale and every once in a while we get a massive sale for huge discounts. Finally as posters above me have said, it's excellent storage for all ones games. The only thing that bothers me about Steam is if there's a new patch out for a game you HAVE to download it. I realize it's bug fixes and all that, but after downloading a 9gig game I really don't want to download another 3 gigs to patch it.

I love steam.
To me it didn't cause that many problems at all.
It's easy to use, easy to learn, easy to play.
There's alot of users, there are groups of people with which you can start a game with and the interface is simple and nice.

I haven't been using it that long so i haven't seen the dark days of Steam when it was in it's Beta stages, but hey, now it's amazing.

P.S Far better than Origin, believe me..

I love steam.

There's alot of users, there are groups of people with which you can start a game with and the interface is simple and nice.

I haven't been using it that long so i haven't seen the dark days of Steam when it was in it's Beta stages, but hey, now it's amazing.

I agree on the Origin part, it's garbage. The only reason I'm letting it befoul my hard drive is because I've had a special place in my heart for the Command and Conquer series since I was 10, and the complete collection CD I picked up from Best Buy mandated the use of it.

I agree on the Origin part, it's garbage. The only reason I'm letting it befoul my hard drive is because I've had a special place in my heart for the Command and Conquer series since I was 10, and the complete collection CD I picked up from Best Buy mandated the use of it.

Kind of the same how i let it polute my hard drive because of Mass Effect 3.

It's a shame EA has so many good franchises because you end up just having to use Origin..

Kind of the same how i let it polute my hard drive because of Mass Effect 3.

It's a shame EA has so many good franchises because you end up just having to use Origin..

Agreed, although EA really seems to be dropping the ball lately with some of their games. Sim City being the biggest and most recent, but I was also disappointed with Dead Space 3 once I found out it would have micro transactions on top of a 60$ price tag.

Agreed, although EA really seems to be dropping the ball lately with some of their games. Sim City being the biggest and most recent, but I was also disappointed with Dead Space 3 once I found out it would have micro transactions on top of a 60$ price tag.

Yes, i agree with you. That's why i try to never complain about steam because it's so much better than any other similar service out there.

Also, EA has been being pretty poo poo lately, but hey! That's why they won the following award!

2012-04-05-ea_worst_company-e13335976875

I love steam.

What is origin? Is it another program like steam specially made for EA games? I have heard it mentioned every time I but a EA game for my home consoles as you need like a Origin account or something to do certain things.

Yes, i agree with you. That's why i try to never complain about steam because it's so much better than any other similar service out there.

Also, EA has been being pretty poo poo lately, but hey! That's why they won the following award!

2012-04-05-ea_worst_company-e13335976875

Indeed they certainly deserve it. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7053-SimCity about sums it all up really, I'm disappointed EA, I remember the better days.

I love steam.

What is origin? Is it another program like steam specially made for EA games? I have heard it mentioned every time I but a EA game for my home consoles as you need like a Origin account or something to do certain things.

Origin is EA's answer to Steam minus everything that makes Steam amazing. You know the stuff like the sales, the community, not being a slightly buggy and exploitable piece of crap.

As long as Steam and EA never merge... Or if they do, as long as Steam is the controlling company... I'm okay with needing Steam for stuff.

If by some unholy joke Steam and EA merge I'll probably be really sad. Even if Steam remains in control the taint that is EA will still have some say in how things are run.

Edited by Prometheus1991

As long as Steam and EA never merge... Or if they do, as long as Steam is the controlling company... I'm okay with needing Steam for stuff.

They won't. Both EA and Valve have issues with each other (which became very apparent when EA removed some of their games from Steam and put them on Origin.