Problem with video files on my phone

Dude888

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I put some video files on the sd card. I wanted to know if I could play .mkv and files with video codecs that were said to not be supported by the device on the website.

All the files that I tried, even the Full HD ones, worked fine except one. The video works fine and I can hear the audio, but the audio is delayed. It's not just a little delay, i think it's 1 or 2 seconds late and it's very noticeable. It's an episode of Gurren Lagann, i guess all the series is like that. I got them a long time ago and i still have the the links, but it was before the whole forum change and it might have been hosted on Megaupload.

Does anyone have any idea on how I can fix this.

Oh! and yes the file works fine on my computers.

Have you tried any apps? I use MX Player on my sgs2. Plays all you would ever want to play, including hi10p (laggy, but it plays).

No, not yet. But I think I saw a VLC player app. I know it's not the best, but I was using it before switching to MPC-HC. There is a problem though, using an app will probably drain more battery and playing a video already uses a lot. 3% to 4% for one episode (22 - 25 minutes)... wait is that a lot?

I use MX player, like John. He's is right 10bit does play, but lags a bit but somehow my tablet is able to handle 10bit 720p using software decoding (fast) on some files. Anyways, your phone should support hardware decoding for H.264 format so 1080p should play just fine. VLC player on android could become good if they do it correctly, so don't dismiss it just yet.

Edited by Ang3lofDarkness

I use MX player, like John. He's is right 10bit does play, but lags a bit but somehow my tablet is able to handle 10bit 720p using software decoding (fast) on some files. Anyways, your phone should support hardware decoding for H.264 format so 1080p should play just fine. VLC player on android could become good if they do it correctly, so don't dismiss it just yet.

I tried VLC yesterday... will not install again.

I played some other video and some of them had their audio delayed and other were "early". One video started fine, but the audio was mismatched in the end. But I have finished watching these series and the one I started this morning (in 1080p .mkv) was fine.

• 1 month later...

So yeah... I found a workaround.

I guess the audio was too good in quality (if that makes any sense) so i tried re-encoding the audio to a lower quality. After numerous attempts(7-8 different settings) and a full day of encoding, because mediacoder free only allows 6 "jobs" in the queue at a time and I wasn't at home to see that it stopped. I managed to make the audio sync to the video without losing video quality.

actually does make sense (well to me, i mess with audio all the time). Alot of variables are the codec (modulation method), bit depth, bandwidth, number of channels (stereo, 5.1, etc).

Big one is the bandwidth

So you have arm processor (more and likely) trying to process HD video and High Bandwidth Audio, it def goin to bog down while still trying to run anything else running in the background of the phone.

Edited by Jªvª