Games you regret buying/playing

Kyle_Dimetri

The Last of Us. There I said it!

I wanted to play a game! Not a movie!

I am still trying to process this. The Last Of Us totally blew away my fav games such as God of War 2, Uncharted 3, Far Cry 3, Metroid Prime Fusion and Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Its a masterpiece. 

On a side note bought PS Allstar BAttle Royale just before it was free on PS+. I won't say the game is crap but at the moment its eh. Not as awesome as smash brothers but not terrible in the meanwhile. I'll give it more time since my brother and cousins really like the play and play it like almost everyday

Edited by Kyle_Dimetri

• 1 month later...

Back in the early 2000s I bought a game called Ephemeral Fantasia at a PX store when I was stationed in Korea. It is a RPG for the PS2 that takes place on a island where there is a 5 day time loop and you are the only one aware of this loop. In order to progress you have to meet certian characters at specific times of the day and week and know exactly what to do.There were not really any clues on how to do this.For months I could not figure our how to progress.Eventually I got frustrated enough to somewhat learn how to use the internet at a internet cafe and discovered a website called gamefaqs where I printed off a walkthrough.

• 4 months later...

As someone who mainly gets games for free (promotions like IndieGala), at a severely reduced price (I'm looking at you, Steam sales) or in very cheap bundles (Humble Bundle and Square Enix Christmas bundle represent!) I'm not sure I can say I truly regret spending money on games.

I'm quite an optimistic person who manages to find something wonderful or interesting in almost anything I touch!

That having been said there are a few games that popped into my mind whilst reading over the previous nine pages...

First: Brink looked quite exciting and it probably would've been if I'd had other people to play it with. After release there was terrible lag and awful bugs which turned A LOT of people off. This resulted in a severely reduced playerbase and no new interest generated in the game. They fixed the issue within a month and even released some DLC for free but by that point it was too late.

Second: There was a 'three for the price of two' deal on preowned games at a local store. I bought two games I was interested in (Something WarioWare and 42 All-time Classics) and then asked my friend which game she'd like. She picked up this... This thing.

I believe it was just called 'Hotel Manager'. I'm not sure what compelled her to buy it but that was what she asked for.

We got back to her house and sat there playing games on our 3DSs until she looks at me and says "this game is awful".

I laughed loudly and said "what did you expect?!" but being the optimistic and ever-joyful person I am, I decided to try the game out for myself.

It really was just awful! The user interface was ridiculous, nothing was explained and it seemed like I had to wait five real-time minutes for anything to complete. Simply opening the doors of my hotel (I think that's what I managed to do) took 15 minutes and was a terrifying ordeal.

Third: League of Legends. I won't say this single-handedly ruined my life but it tried damn hard. I ended up playing with a few real-life friends which was nice. Except we all turned to complete shut-ins living for our 'First Win of the Day' bonus. We started playing together but the better players soon got competitive and started playing with better people! This left me (not the best in the group) to play with random people and I ended up losing a lot. The hooks were in deep though and I couldn't just give it up. It also managed to pull me away from my (at the time) girlfriend which caused a bit of a problem. I ended up skipping school to sit at home playing League of Legends, raging loudly at anyone showing concern for my wellbeing. My sister asked me if I wanted food one day and I responded with "GO AWAY I'M PLAYING LEAGUE".

Public service announcement: If you know anyone who plays League of Legends for more than eight hours a day, please help them.

• Like 1

For me, it was Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. (This can also be considered a review btw)

I bought the game from a Ubisoft Sale on Steam a few weeks back along with Brotherhood and Revelation. I started getting into the series since Christmas and let me tell you, the experience was emotionally captivating. The story with Ezio especially was something I could repeatedly play because of how much....GENUINE it was. The guy was too damn likable alongside Desmond and the fact that his story stretched to 3 different titles (Assassin's Creed 2, Brotherhood and Revelation) is another reason why many peeps would deem it the prime era of the series. But what does Ubisoft do with such greatness? They discard him. Completely.

Not gonna pull any spoilers but lets just say that the later titles of Assassin's Creed have pretty much derailed and become a total spin-off of what the original story was. There is NO real continuity going on here, the repetitiveness that everybody dislikes about the series? That only got ever more noticeable thanks to Black Flag. People may like this game because of having a different twist, because they went in a new direction, but at the same time they completely disregarded the attachment that most players shared with what was going on in the previous titles. For that, I disliked this game. Sure it was "fancier" and somewhat improved in features but the assassin himself.......well, again not gonna spoil anything but he certainly was no Ezio or anything remotely equivalent that you may grow as much fond of. (at least for my taste)

So yeah long story short, despite getting the game from a sale....I somewhat now regret doing so after finding out just how irrelevant all the things we did in the past have now become. To take it a step further I also have chosen to just stick with the Ezio Trilogy while restraining myself from buying any future Assassin's Creed titles onwards. (aside the other reasoning how the newer games have become supremely buggy and ubisoft dun give a hoot about it)

I didn't buy it, but tried playing "Lost in Blue" for DS because the premise sounded cool and there are 2 sequels so I figured it'd be decent enough. It has to be one of the most boring and difficult for no reason games I've ever seen. A game I regret buying how and when I did was Resident Evil 5. I was stoked for it, having loved RE 4 and the other main entries, so I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition, selling many of my other good games for funds (I was stupid then). I thought for $100 I'd get more than a cheap chinese 1" figure and an even cheaper made "messenger bag". On top of that, I feel this game trashed the story of the series and the environment wasn't even a little creepy (except for the part with Lickers). It was a sellout trying to pull in call of duty/gears of war fans that I blew $100 worth of better games on. Worst game buying decision I think I've ever made.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got one too... 

It was years ago back when the film "The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep" came out (had to check out the english title). 

(Little background info: the german title of the film is translated "my friend, the water dragon")

And me little and stupid as i was (didnt even know the film), saw the ps2 game in a shop and read the "dragon" part in the title and instantly bought it for 15 euro (couldn't believe a cool game with dragons is that inexpensive).

And it was the worst game i've ever played back then. I was so dissapointed, only a few hours playtime and then selled it the next day.

Worst game buying decision I think I've ever made.

Really?! I recently bought Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition on Steam and I've been glued to it for 100+ hours! I'm really in love with it!

I enjoyed Modern Warfare 2 but didn't like Gears of War... I really loved Resident Evil 4 (got it on PS2, PC and Wii and completed it multiple times on each) and I'll agree the atmosphere is seriously different.

As a survival horror it's a bit of a let-down but I enjoy it as a game regardless.

There might be another topic for games I'm looking forward to. I have a bit to say about all of those, too...

I regret buying Monaco (a strange little indie platformy kinda' thing) because the controls were confusing, the concept was too complex for me to spend more than 30 seconds trying to figure out and the friends I wanted to play it with all decided to give up on it as well. It was a shame because it sounded so interesting at first!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Arcade Attack. I LOVED the idea of a simple TMNT game set in the 2003 universe that harkened back to Turtles in Time, but when I finally played it, I couldn't believe how incredibly BORING it was. Not only did Ubisoft overcomplicate the gameplay by introducing WAY too many different types of attacks and combos, but enemies just took WAY too long to clear out. Because, y'know, THAT was apparently the fun part about Turtles in Time: Being stuck repeatedly attacking the same enemy again and again for five to six minutes. Easily my least favorite TMNT game. -_-

Elder scrolls online (PS4)

I thought i was ready for an mmo after 6 years of wow... I was very wrong and also not having any history with other elder scrolls games did not help. I forced my self to play till level 15 after that back to bestbuy it went. I was looking to fill the mmo void left by wow but now am not sure i can ever fill it. (also all i did in wow was arena and man did i not like the pvp in ESO)

• 1 month later...