What are some good fantsay books?

I like most written by Kate Forcyth. The Witches of Eileanan series

John Flanagan also has another series out, Brotherband series.

There is also Anne Bishop books that are interesting. The Tir Alainn trilogy

and The Landscapes of Ephemera series.

Then there is Trudi Canavan: The Black Magician Trilogy

The Magician's Apprentice (2009) (prequel stand-alone novel to the Black Magician Trilogy)

and The Traitor Spy Trilogy

Ann Mccafferie - Dragons or Pern series is amazing if you like dragons, Garth Nix - Aborsen series is good for those who are after something a bit different. i have been trying to get into some of the work of the self published authors on smashwords, i nabbed a few of the free books there to try out.

• 2 weeks later...

Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.

Books of the Malazan Empire by Steven Erikson.

Books by David Gemmell (The Troy series is great).

Books by Michael Moorcock (the original creator of the 'multiverse')

Night Angel series by Brett Weeks

Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker.

And though it's not fantasy I would recommend the Gap series by Stephen R. Donaldson. It's science fiction, but the greatest series I have ever read and I read a crapload. That series will stay with me forever. Very freaking captivating.

robert jordan's - the wheel of time series

david eddings - has a few series

peter morwood - the horselords series

david gemmell - drenai series/ sipstrassi series

anne mac caffrey - pern series

are all good books :) they're the ones i can think of off the top of my head

takes to long to hunt more for you :( need to clear and organise my collection of 1500 scifi/fantasy books ,

• 1 month later...

While SF is my primary area of fiction in fantasy, especially fantasy along the lines your original post listed I thought well of the Recluce series by L.E. Modesitte. Also Elizabeth Moon's The Deed of Paksennarion series does a wonderful job of taking the Tolkein concepts of Paladins, Elves and such and creating a whole different world with which to play with the concepts, it is one of my favourite pieces of fiction in general. For serious works in that genre those are the only suggestions I can vouch for that have not already been suggested by others in this thread.

None of you guys have suggested the 'A song of ice and fire' series. These books are what the show 'A game of thrones' is based off.

There are dragons, magic, zombie-like creatures and other fantasy devices, but none of it is used in a cheesy manner and you could almost believe that the world is medieval england.

All the books are best sellers and I highly recommend them

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (not horror)

Magyk by Angie Sage

Phantastes by George MacDonald (<-this one, definitely this one)

anything by Neil Gaiman

I could probably come up with some more suggestions, feel free to PM me with more specifics about your tastes.

• 3 months later...

None of you guys have suggested the 'A song of ice and fire' series. These books are what the show 'A game of thrones' is based off.

There are dragons, magic, zombie-like creatures and other fantasy devices, but none of it is used in a cheesy manner and you could almost believe that the world is medieval england.

All the books are best sellers and I highly recommend them

Exactly what I was gonna recommend! Currently reading them, one of the best series' I've read. Also agree on The Black Magician Trilogy.

In no order:

Tad E. Williams - Memory, Sorrow & Thorn (very different take on traditional fae type myths!)

Raymond E. Feist - Magician Series, Daughter of the Empire Series, Serpent War Saga (ALL very very good & well written)

David Eddings - The Belgariad, (avoid the Malloreon & Redemption of Althalas), The Elenium, The Tamuli (Sparhawk rocks lol)

George Lucas & Chris Claremont - Chronicles of the Shadow War (essentially it's 3 books details what happens after the movie "Willow" ... and it's good!)

Melanie Rawn - Dragon Prince series, Dragon Star Series

Margaret Weiss & Tracy Hickman - Famous for Dragonlance ... read their Death Gate Cycle!! Awesome and I try to read it once a year or so :)

Terry Brooks (Shannara Series), R. A. Salvatore (Drizz't series) have already been mentioned and are excellent reading. Salvatore's a fencer and it shows in his writing lol.

Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time) has as well ... be careful if you start, he's died leaving it unfinished, it gets VERY repetitive at times rehashing details you well and truly already know ... they hired a fan and good writer to finally finish the damned thing after nearly 20 years and 13 books *groans and rolls eyes*. Having said that, I own it and enjoyed it and HATE Jordan with the passion and fire of 1000 suns :)

If you can handle mixing in a little sci-fi with your fantasy try:

Julian May - The Saga of the Exiles. Well worth the read and a great bridge between fantasy/sci-fi

If you're into post-apocalyptic fantasy try:

Robert Adams - The Horseclans. Just found my books again and am loving them.

I would also recommend Terry Brooks and the books The Game of Thrones is based off of

If you like pendragon and arent afraid to explore the young adult side James Pattersons Young adult witch and wizard series is very good

The Pendragon by dj machale series was also very good

Also, I have so far really enjoyed the Percy Jackson series

going farther on the lord of the rings etc the simarillion and the other side novels can definitely be worth reading

The Tales of Otori series by Lian Hearn is a good fantasy series as well (back on the adult side)

I can give more female authors names if your interested but I know some guys scoff at going over to that dark side :P