Fantasy/Sci Fi Book Recommendations

Finals are this week and after that I'm free to start catching up on my fiction reading but I'm desperate for something good to read :)

I've already looked through previous threads and I've read or are in the middle of reading most of the big series with the exception of the wheels of time series which I have mixed feelings about reading and the legend of the seeker series which I already have on my agenda.

I don't mind young adultish fiction like eragon series and james pattersons witch and wizard series but no harry potter stuffs lol.

I'm also a girl so i like authors like ilona andrews and patricia briggs

I also cannot stand series where the girl is getting raped or are constantly super sad. I almost didn't read the fire and ice series because of watching the first few episodes of the first season. Although I found the books to be a bit easier to take.

I'm also down for some classics recommendations as well that aren't the super big names again because i've probably read them or are saving some for later.

Thanks ahead of time guys.

Some good big ones are The Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, and the Discworld series. Other good oldies include Hitchhikers Guide and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. Most Terry Brooks and Piers Anthony books are good. Another one that was never popular yet is utterly fabulous is the deathgate cycle. If you want any others, I almost solely read fantasy/sci-fi so I have a bunch of other recommendations. Just don't want to recommend something you can't find since its from the 80's and obscure.

Wow what a quick response

I love hitchhikers! I dunno how the long dark teatime of the soul escaped my noticed but that is fantastic thanks! Yeah I've read alot of Terry Brooks but I hadn't came across any Piers Anthony or deathgate thanks :)  I can't recall why i disregarded dragonlance before but I'll check it out again since I"m running low lol.

As for oldies I love lovecraft, house of leaves, neuromancer, clockwork orange, and I did not like Dune after he grew up lol before it was first rate! :)

meh i dont have much in the way of recommendations but as for true olden goldies if you havent read Dune by frank herbert do give it a shot, not entirely sure if your a military sci fi fan but the Honor Harrington series by david webber and the longknife books by mike shepard are also very good as well

Yeah, I've read dune. It was a really good politically themed book. But I will admit I didn't like it so much when he grew up.

I don't think I've read any military themed books but it's worth a shot. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Edited by spinelli39

• 2 months later...

I was gonna say the Warhammer 40K series is always a great read and you can start in just about any arc. I recommend the Grey Knights Omnibus. It follows the elite Grey Knight Space Marines unit of the Ordo Maleus as they attempt to eradicate the demons of the warp. This whole series is a very deep interpretation of the future where there is only war and death throughout the far reaches of space. Another one I grew really fond of is the Republic Commando series by Karren Traviss from the Star Wars universe. It takes place during the clone wars and a little bit after and follows a 4 man team of clone commandos as they complete special operations missions in the dreary underworld of the Star Wars universe.

• 2 weeks later...